What Happened to Nike SB ???

At least these are bringing "some" enthusiasm back. we'll see. I cant stand those inspired cws though, they (SB) needs to be more original with their ideas

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

No thanks, i'm cool with my $!*+ being retail nowadays.

roll.gif

nike sb still has its stellar releases. i will say some of the colorways seem aimed at 13 year olds, but they still release nice subtle cws that work well

Geez....., when's the term,
"sneakerheads" started including a teenager that suggests boycotting to buy sneakers??? (it's just in US?)

Athough I've gotta admit that I haven't copped SBs, particularly Dunk SBs for almost a year these days,
I still can find at least more than a couple from what's obtainable at the reasonable prices
if i've got little extra money to spend right now tho.......................
http://www.flatspot.com/collections/nike-sb/nike-sb-footwear

Statues this season and 420 of last year reminded me of the 1st gen NSB after so many fails over the past couple years. Not too simple nor outlandish.

Plum Highs will be bought.

Just cause Plum Co.Jp Dunks are in my top 5 Dunk Colorways..

Please don't mess that Plum colorway up NikeSB.

lots of nice things in this thread. In my opinion, people have just moved on to different shoes, even within the nike sb family. Look at the janoskis. were I am living they sell out almost instantly. people don't have the money to buy up all the shoes they used to. part of me believes that if many of todays colorways were released back in 04 or 05 they would be way more hyped or whatever. Also many of the people who were collecting sbs in 05 06 07 or whatever have grown up. I seek a more sophisticated look now and many of the dunks just don't do that for me. In addition other brands have caught up like adidas skate and supra ( I hate supra but the kids love it.) And even within the nike family kobes and lebrons and retro air maxes are much more popular then the were when nike sb was "cool." If you looked in the pickup post in 06 or 07 it was SB dunk after SB dunk after SB dunk and jordans scattered through out. now its basically lebrons and kobes. the game has changed.

SB is still doing fine just bc a bunch of hypebeast moved onto Vans doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme

Originally Posted by Stuntman Mike

if nike SB were to release the supreme highs today without the supreme name, people would be griping about how nike goin downhill puttin stupid gold stars onthe shoes. chocolates are sought after mostly cause they're rare. paul brown highs sat on the shelves back then and they would probably do the same today(i like those btw). the whole nike SB went downhill argument isn't completely true imo - a whole bunch of the recent nike SB blazers have been super nice -there's been some clean sb dunks released but not recognized because people follow the hype - if anything, the hype for SB went downhill.

dunks are just like any other shoe. hit and miss. who said jordan never made a wack shoe? or that air force 1 heads love every colorway that comes out? i look at this as a golden age for coppin older sb's. if you search enough you can seem to pick up pink and silver box stuff at a very reasonable price compared to the prime of the sb days. just go after the shoes you feel are dope rather than looking for the next shoe to cash out on.

thats what I'm saying....there was no reason for the golden age to end...Many people still follow SB and believe me based on the reception for that SpaceJam pair, its apparent that many heads on still on SB. Nike just needs to deliver on it.

What do you guys think of the upcoming stuff?

Just to give you guys a perspective on the green lanterns:

a31c3be24320affb9a1abbd10ed684a1.jpg

a488357de47aafa91c13c8f6b4a5d5fe.jpg

2445765d0b9764395cb24da1b4d1266e.jpg

via NSB (jimmyhoffa)

INTERESTING ARTICLE FROM A 5TH-DIMENSION THREAD (read the last sentence, that says it all)
http://businessweek.com/p...06/id20060502_751859.htm
http://www.5th-dimension....rum/viewtopic.php?t=4531
Design
By Alex Halperin

In Siren Song of Swoosh
What makes a hardcore sneakerhead? A willingness to spend the night outside a store to get first crack at the limited-edition Nike SB Blazer

Like most of my friends in fifth grade, I craved a pair of Air Jordans. Unfortunately, my feet were small and I had to settle for the kiddie version, which, among other deficiencies, didn't have a see-through bubble in the sole so actually were not "Air" anything. "Why are you wearing fake Jordans?" my classmates asked.

Such was my first encounter with the devotion and obsession with detail that is Nike (NKE ) fandom. But my classmates were amateurs. True sneaker devotees seek out limited-edition versions of existing models, with cachet that derives as much from scarcity as appearance. And some editions are more limited than others.

Early on the morning of Apr. 21, several hundred sneakerheads, most in their late teens and early twenties, lined up outside the skateboard boutique Supreme, in New York's SoHo. Many had expensive-looking spiky haircuts. Others donned too-large baseball caps with flat brims twisted slightly to the side. Almost everybody wore jeans and T-shirts or sweatshirts, adorned with pictures or logos meaningless to the uninitiated, and sported retro Nikes in a rainbow of colors and fabrics. Almost all male, some were speaking Chinese as they waited for a shoe to "drop."
nike14gg.jpg

SUPREME EFFORT. The Nike SB Blazer by Supreme was launched and sold exclusively at Supreme shops in New York City, Los Angeles, and Japan. According to Geo Moya, who works at the shop, 3,000 pairs would be available worldwide. Nike declines to comment on the number. Alerted by in-the-know blogs or a tiny sign at the shop, the most die-hard sneaker groupies had spent the night in portable chairs. As crunch time approached, some had passed out in a downtown parody of a Soviet breadline.

The new shoe, the fourth collaboration between Supreme and Nike, is a variation of the simple Blazer sneaker originally released in the early 1970s. The new version features quilted leather with big gray snakeskin Swooshes on the sides. A strip of red and green checkered fabric, Gucci's colors, rises from the heel and attaches to a small metal ring. The rubber soles have no bubble. The Blazers come in three colors of leather: red, black, and white. Many sneakerheads bought all three.
nike32ab.jpg

"I think they're ugly. I just want to sell them," said one 14-year-old who probably should have been in school. He wasn't the only one there who considered the Blazers a business venture, and, of course, the shoes popped up on eBay (EBAY ) almost instantly.

SNAKESKIN ATTACK. For others, these Blazers had a deeper resonance. Jean Rivera, a computer technician, explained that the Blazers are the "most New York sneaker there is." The quilted pattern evokes jackets worn in the inner city and the shoes "represent the Dapper Dan era," a reference to a stylemaker in the early days of rap. How is snakeskin New York? Well, "it's just bad," Rivera says. "That s---'ll bite you."

Eventually a squat guy stood at the door and began allowing people into the small spare shop, several at a time, as if it were a nightclub. Most of those who reached the counter arrived at their leisure, hugged the cheerfully sadistic doorman and slipped past. Once inside, they chatted and admired the sneakers as the throng outside, packed tighter than a rush-hour subway, looked on longingly.

"Last time we had a release we had barricades, and it worked so much better," one of Supreme's famously aloof clerks said as he looked outside. There was some pushing and shoving, but not much. Causing trouble was not the way to get Blazers. News that more shoes would arrive Saturday didn't seem to inspire anyone to leave.

FIRST TO THE STREET. Lots of other sneaker makers have enlisted hip-hop stars, high-fashion designers, and, of course, athletes to lend their shoes an aura of authenticity or whatever. But the kids at Supreme were dismissive. Starting with the Air Jordan, "Nike was first to market," says a young man who calls himself Maze and runs the sneakerhead blog "Kix and the City."

Wearing some blingy jewelry and a vintage pair of Nike Vandals -- Atlanta Hawks 1974 edition, black with a yellow Swoosh -- Maze said the sneaker giant reached out to graffiti artists and boutiques, who in turn want to work with the biggest name out there.

Like Maze, the kids in line were the type that make marketers salivate -- the cool hunters' prey. And it's Nike that inspires them to wait outside all night for the privilege of paying $168 (plus tax). So long as Nike continues to choose cool color schemes, says Matt Powell, an analyst at SportsOneSource, it'll be able to keep this up "relatively indefinitely." Even Nike's competition must be tempted to stand up and applaud.

6f1dd81212522313cb60ee21ccceabd7.jpg

someone comment on that article, the second to last sentence especially, Nike SB has failed to do that (they have failed to make shoes that MANY people like) since 05 thats partly what has happened to SB....

Hype for the most part died when the stuffed tongues disappeared.. Nike Sb has fallen as a whole as well though, they've lost alot of good collabo's in the years

materials suck for the most part now. comfort is gone imo. they chaged up the shape of the sb dunk/ toe box is smaller and uncomfortable. def more for the skating aspect. so most ppl that don't skate moved on to kobes, brons and jordans.
there not as many collabs and artistic expressions on the shoe as there used to be. SOme of these new releases look like some 6.0 crap.
but those space jam lows = dope. prob only sb i'll cop this year..

Back
Top Bottom