What happened to great Black comedies?

I thought the last friday was dropping next year?

Meh, it's been a while. Eddie Murphy needs to resurrect already.

Martin , and eddie murphy dont make that street stuff no more.
dudes runs in the 80s/90s was 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Name the last good Eddie Murphy-driven movie.

Originally Posted by DMoney82

I really hope that Wanda and Sha Nay Nay movie goes down. Jamie Foxx said they are done with the script and Martin is down for it. 
Is this the only way to have a successful black comedy now? Men in drag?  
30t6p3b.gif

It's a catch 22 people are so understandably thirsty for black films they'll go see anything, if they didn't people would say there's no market for it. I don't think people should blame Tyler Perry cuz there should be a market for all films. There's a market for a million American Pies or Scary Movie movies but also a market for Black Swan and whatever else won an Oscar recently. No reason it can't be the same for black film in general not just comedies. That goes for other races & ethnicities also. I don't know of an Asian dominated class outside of fighting movies except for The Joy Luck Club and that movie is dumb old and based off a book.

I hope it does come out! They are still not doing it right now though..

Like someone stated eariler, it's all about profits.

If black comedies were making $, there would be more being made.

IMO black culture blew up in the 90's to mid 2000's then the newness wore off. The white consumer audience is no longer fascinated by how cool and new black culture seemed at first.

I am a Murphy enthusiast, I liked Norbit, Bowfinger, and Life. Good as in an actual good film? I guess that's subjective. I admittedly didn't like a lot of his early 2000's stuff. 
You could say the audience isn't there, but that's a cop out. There just hasn't been a good film made. 

@ HonestAbe if Tyler Perry has proven anything its you don't NEED the white audience anymore. 45million+ is a lot of buying power 

When Eddie Murphy was in his prime he made funny @%% movies featuring mostly black casts with no ****ing or negative stereotypes, that also made money.

How we go from that to Tyler Perry. 

I am a Murphy enthusiast, I liked Norbit, Bowfinger, and Life. Good as in an actual good film? I guess that's subjective. I admittedly didn't like a lot of his early 2000's stuff.
Ok, let's quantify it: a Fresh rating (60%) on Rotten Tomatoes. Look at his track record. Bowfinger, Dreamgirls and  the Shrek franchise don't count because he wasn't the lead.

I love bad movies, but in terms of movies that are widely recognized as decent to good movies, Eddie Murphy doesn't have any in the last 20 years.

Life wasin the last 20 years and it starred him and Martin. Next Day Air was not good. I watched it the other day a d it was kinda all over the place

Tyler Perry shouldn't even be in the same sentence as these legends. His movies focus on one group only. Good ole clean christian fun

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by Noskey

Go watch Black Dynamite. It came out a couple years ago.

Black Dynamite was the truth but I wouldn't say it was a classic.

I would, but it's not a big deal. What about Undercover Brother then? That movie was hilarious.

Next Day Air was more of a comedy/drama.

I think if Kevin Hart's movie does well more black comedies could be produced.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Ok, let's quantify it: a Fresh rating (60%) on Rotten Tomatoes. Look at his track record. Bowfinger, Dreamgirls and  the Shrek franchise don't count because he wasn't the lead.

I love bad movies, but in terms of movies that are widely recognized as decent to good movies, Eddie Murphy doesn't have any in the last 20 years.

Life? 
Also, comedy. A black one at that, is the last place I would go to for Rotten tomatoes 
eyes.gif

Comedy is the most subjective genre in film. I didn't like either hangover movie, so sue me.

Murphy is every bit in Bowfinger as he was in trading places. Was either Norbit or Bowfinger a good film? Naw, but IMO they were !%#%$@@ hilarious.

You seem mad at the best black comedic actor ever, for no reason. 

OP was right about Coming to America. That movie was really funny, but as for the Tyler Perry movies? Definitely not.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Life? 
Also, comedy. A black one at that, is the last place I would go to for Rotten tomatoes 
eyes.gif

Comedy is the most subjective genre in film. I didn't like either hangover movie, so sue me.

Murphy is every bit in Bowfinger as he was in trading places. Was either Norbit or Bowfinger a good film? Naw, but IMO they were !%#%$@@ hilarious.

You seem mad at the best black comedic actor ever, for no reason. 
I'm not mad at all. I'm just saying an Eddie Murphy resurrection isn't any better than letting Tyler Perry unleash another pile of crap on the box office. Life got 50%, btw. And assuming that RT isn't going to favorably review black comedies is a convenient argument because you're just assuming they don't like black comedies. Friday almost hit 80%, so they don't hate it, when it's done well. The problem is black comedies often resort to cheap tricks and buffoonery, because it appeals to an audience that will fork over cash to support their own (Tyler Perry has proved this over and over).

What does eddie murphy and tyler perry have in common?........................

They've always been bull @#$% movies. Friday, Coming to America (IMO this wasn't a "black" comedy in the traditional sense), and How High. Thats 3 funny black comedies in the past 30 years
sick.gif
laugh.gif
I might be missing a couple here and there but still (Please don't mention The Wood
indifferent.gif
) No racism intended, but whenever I see an all black cast in a movie trailer I avoid it all costs.

Even outside of black movies, I haven't seen one even somewhat average comedy with a black leading actor in years. Last one I can think of was Hitch, which is more of a romantic comedy. I miss the old Eddie Murphy when he put out classics like Beverly Hills Cop
tired.gif

dmbrhs wrote: Friday almost hit 80%, so they don't hate it, when it's done well. The problem is black comedies often resort to cheap tricks and buffoonery, because it appeals to an audience that will fork over cash to support their own (Tyler Perry has proved this over and over).

Exactly. Friday is always gonna be a classic regardless of genre. It's a smart film too...The entire movie is a parody on life in the hood
laugh.gif
There's so much subtle social commentary in this film. We watched this movie in a sociology class last quarter
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom