What do you think is the greatest sports rivalry?

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by CP1708

I wish I could explain the phenomenon that is Oregon/Oregon St and how much they suck but argue over who's better. You're all lucky you dont live here.

Yeah, because in-state rivalries are rare.

Not one person said this is a "great" sports rivalry, so get off your high horse.
I honestly don't see why the guy still lives in Portland. All he ever does on here is go out of his way to bash anything, never tries to givemuch reason why either. Just, "oh I am stuck in Portland and since I am everything around here sucks just as bad as my life."

Originally Posted by JONFARR

I wish I could explain the phenomenon that is Oregon/Oregon St and how much they suck but argue over who's better. You're all lucky you dont live here.

Not one person said this is a "great" sports rivalry, so get off your high horse.
I honestly don't see why the guy still lives in Portland. All he ever does on here is go out of his way to bash anything, never tries to give much reason why either. Just, "oh I am stuck in Portland and since I am everything around here sucks just as bad as my life."

What do you two call each other on the phone and tell the other one what threads I'm in?
laugh.gif
I thought I'd have at least a little while before you found this.
frown.gif

It ain't even you two. I'm talking about the people at work, or on the radio that try to compare this game to Ohio St (sorry Ches) vs Michigan, orTexas/Oklahoma, stuff like that. People would never EVER get away with that stuff on NT, but you hear it on the radio all the damn time. So this is mefighting the good fight.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by SinnerP

smh.gif
@ some of the NTers... don't dismiss a rivalry simply because you don't know the specifics about that particular sport.
Nobody is dismissing anything, relax. Of course the majority of people in here aren't going to mention soccer. In America as a whole we could give a rats %$$ about it, let alone follow it for another country.
This is dude's response:
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I think I speak for 95% of the people on NT, but EVERY OTHER TEAM SPORT>>>>SOCCER

Therefore, NO, whatever you just posted is NOT the best rivalry in sports.
laugh.gif

If that's not a dismissal I don't know what is. Except maybe ignorance. I really don't care if most people don't mention or followsoccer, but if you are going to blatantly disagree with someone at least come through with some knowledge.

Soccer rivalry put all other North America rivalries to shame.

As already mentioned, Celtic/Rangers and River/Boca is INTENSE. I dont think anyone here has mentioned AC Milan/Inter as well as one of the mostdangerous...Fenerbahce/Galatasary. I saw a tv show back in the summer about how crazy the Fener/Galatasary rivalry is. Dudes actually kill each other oversoccer in Turkey. They were also talking about Fenerbahce hooligan who beat up a Galatasary fan and then raped him in a graveyard
sick.gif

Originally Posted by JONFARR

I honestly don't see why the guy still lives in Portland. All he ever does on here is go out of his way to bash anything, never tries to give much reason why either. Just, "oh I am stuck in Portland and since I am everything around here sucks just as bad as my life."

What do you two call each other on the phone and tell the other one what threads I'm in?
laugh.gif
I thought I'd have at least a little while before you found this.
frown.gif

It ain't even you two. I'm talking about the people at work, or on the radio that try to compare this game to Ohio St (sorry Ches) vs Michigan, or Texas/Oklahoma, stuff like that. People would never EVER get away with that stuff on NT, but you hear it on the radio all the damn time. So this is me fighting the good fight.
laugh.gif
First off, I have never heard any duck or beaver fan claim it to be on par with Mich vs OSU and other such rivalries, I think what you hear arepeople saying that to Oregonians it is as big a deal to them as an OSU Michigan rivalry is to their fans. What game do you expect the local radio to talkabout? The Civil War is huge here and it is looking to have major BCS implications this year. I know there are some serious homers in this state, but you getthe same in EVERY sports city.Its not just Portland.

basketball: bulls vs knicks, knicks vs heat, pistons vs bulls, kings vs lakers, pacers vs pistons

Boca vs. River in Argentina
_38297667_boca_river_298.gif

The crowd goes absolutely insane, here are some pics...

Reallatino_Tours_-_Fussball_in_Argentinien_River_Plate_4.jpg

026_G.jpg

Vs.

ladoce40.jpg

vsRiver260306_09.jpg

1522537-1.jpg

tapa2zq8.jpg

The rivalry is so intense an entire anti-violence campaign was released based on it...
2cn8bp3.jpg

It translates to "No More Violence, let's think about the present for a better future. It's a message from God."

Originally Posted by rock4light

On the grand scheme of things, American rivalries are weak sauce.

In South America , and Europe, the rivalries are intense because they are battle of social classes,territorial battles , and some cases, religious quarrels. That being said, it's either Inter & A.C. Milan, or Boca Juniors & River Plate.
This guy speaks the truth, you guys can dismiss soccer completely and talk all you want about how intense American rivalries are but in the endthe most that will happen is a couple nasty words are thrown out and/or a drunken fistfight here and there. In Soccer rivalries in Europe and South Americathere are murders before and after games, I can't tell you how many times a team has been disqualified or has had points deducted from them in theArgentine tournament because their fans murdered a fan from another team.

soccer: boca v. river, red star v. partizan, rangers v. celtic

basketball : lakers v. celtics, knicks v. bulls,

baseball: yanks v. red sox

hockey: leafs v. sens

inter v. ac is a classic game but there is rarely ever violence...

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Soccer rivalry put all other North America rivalries to shame.

As already mentioned, Celtic/Rangers and River/Boca is INTENSE. I dont think anyone here has mentioned AC Milan/Inter as well as one of the most dangerous...Fenerbahce/Galatasary. I saw a tv show back in the summer about how crazy the Fener/Galatasary rivalry is. Dudes actually kill each other over soccer in Turkey. They were also talking about Fenerbahce hooligan who beat up a Galatasary fan and then raped him in a graveyard
sick.gif
thin line between intense and stupid when it comes to soccer

rock4light wrote:

In South America , and Europe, the rivalries are intense because they are battle of social classes,territorial battles , and some cases, religious quarrels. That being said, it's either Inter & A.C. Milan, or Boca Juniors & River Plate.
This guy speaks the truth, you guys can dismiss soccer completely and talk all you want about how intense American rivalries are but in the end the most that will happen is a couple nasty words are thrown out and/or a drunken fistfight here and there. In Soccer rivalries in Europe and South America there are murders before and after games, I can't tell you how many times a team has been disqualified or has had points deducted from them in the Argentine tournament because their fans murdered a fan from another team.

Is that something to be proud of though? That is why I can't say soccer rivalries are on my top list, it feels like it has nothing to do withthe sport itself and seems like a reason to literally go to war with others. That is way beyond a sport rivalry. That is way beyond basic human decency.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

rock4light wrote:

This guy speaks the truth, you guys can dismiss soccer completely and talk all you want about how intense American rivalries are but in the end the most that will happen is a couple nasty words are thrown out and/or a drunken fistfight here and there. In Soccer rivalries in Europe and South America there are murders before and after games, I can't tell you how many times a team has been disqualified or has had points deducted from them in the Argentine tournament because their fans murdered a fan from another team.

Is that something to be proud of though? That is why I can't say soccer rivalries are on my top list, it feels like it has nothing to do with the sport itself and seems like a reason to literally go to war with others. That is way beyond a sport rivalry. That is way beyond basic human decency.
^Good point.

I also find it objectionable that there have been instances where entire sections of the crowd have participated in racially insensitive chants and directed derogatory racial slurs at players,not to mention throwing offensive things at the players. I understand that there are always going to be knuckleheads in the crowd, but some of this stuff gets way out of hand in soccer. Really? Nazi flags?

Back
Top Bottom