What do you guys think should be done about this rule (NBA rookies)

If you have read it already, you need to read "Sole Influence".

In essence, what you learn from "Sole Influence", and many probably already knows this, is that the high school basketball star is much more polishedprofessionally in the modern era than in the days when MJ or Magic were in high school. The development stage has shifted sometime during the mid 90s from theage of 19 to the age of 15. At 15, NBA scouts are already aware of who to watch. The shoe companies pay very close attention to the teenage stars. It'sshoe companies that sponsor the AAU teams. It's shoe companies that sponsor the high school teams. It's shoe companies that sponsor the privatebasketball academies like Oak Hill and Notre Dame Prep.

Scouts have known about OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose for about 6 years now. Each player has already reached the apex of scouting.

The major problem with this new game of scouting is these players often have poor fundamentals. AAU basketball is a lot different than traditional high schoolbasketball. AAU ball is street ball played indoors by players that are essentially all city players playing for the same squad against other all city playersfrom other places in the US. The phenom camps are showcases for a player to elevate their stock.

I'm opposed to the current rule of 1 year of college before entering the NBA. I don't even think a high school diploma should be required to enter theNBA. The only rule should be "can you compete against the best in the world". I have a very laizzez faire approach to many rules, but the strongestwill always survive.

I can give you some truth. For every LeBron there is a Korleone Young. For every Kobe there is a Corey Hightower. For every Jermaine O'Neal there is aRobert Swift.

One thing is clear. The academics of the major high school phenoms continues to stagnate at below average. But the one year of college rule is designed so thatthe high school player must take academics seriously if they wish to pursue the NBA.

Back
Top Bottom