What Age Do you lose your Vert?

I am 19.... 20 in January and I am scared of losing my vert and getting old. I am around 5,10 and can almost dunk. I want to do some plyos and squats thiswinter to be able to dunk by summer, I think it is do able. I am afraid im getting to old though to add a lot on my vert. What age do you start"losing" it?

I'd Assume at 25 you start to lose your vert. Even if it's a lil bit but you still grow athletically in other ways that makes up for your loss of vert.

I'm full of ##%% though because I'm only 18.

I'm about 5'9"without shoes, and I can dunk.

I went through two ACL reconstructive surgeries, and I wasn't able to to dunk before. After the rehab, now I can dunk.

J/K
laugh.gif
But after the rehab my vert improved. I can now grab the rim on a good warm day.

I'm 21 BTW.

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

I am 19.... 20 in January and I am scared of losing my vert and getting old. I am around 5,10 and can almost dunk. I want to do some plyos and squats this winter to be able to dunk by summer, I think it is do able. I am afraid im getting to old though to add a lot on my vert. What age do you start "losing" it?
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

I am 19.... 20 in January and I am scared of losing my vert and getting old. I am around 5,10 and can almost dunk. I want to do some plyos and squats this winter to be able to dunk by summer, I think it is do able. I am afraid im getting to old though to add a lot on my vert. What age do you start "losing" it?
indifferent.gif
LMFA
laugh.gif

Im also 19 and at a point where my vert seems like it isn't increasing anymore. Does everyone have a plateau where they reach and can't go beyond?
frown.gif

I managed to increase my squats and deadlifts drastically but still have same vert. Yes plyos are included in workout.

Im 20 about 5'9 and my vert is steadily increasing. I don't think i've peaked yet.

I did a lot of plyometrics in my high school days.. was always scarred of leg weights due to what my mates said about the impact on your knees etc.

Started hitting the weights, slowly squating and lunging more. I feel a lot more explosive and nastier (lol) in the air than I previously did. Im starting tolearn the dead lift so I am sure that will give me a few more inches.

Is there any truth in doing Plyo's after weights will be more beneficial?

^ plyos after weights is a terrible idea. Your leg muscles are dead and destroyed after working them with weights and need time to recover, never do legworkout then plyos, vise versa is much better

^ Sorry I probably mislead you on my question.

Im meaning, lets say you do leg weights for 3 months. Then stop and do plyo's for 3 months. As opposed to doing it vice versa.

Barring injury, it doesn't start decreasing until your mid-late 20s. You still have time.
laugh.gif

im still trying to find mine...im a 5'10 skinny white boy though so it probably aint happenin...
smh.gif

I lost my vert at age 12.

You guys are um....nevermind. It's not a certain age. As people get older, they usually work more, play/workout/run less + metabolism slows down = they getfatter (even if its just a few pounds), explosive muscles get weaker, and they get less flexible. You also don't have quite as much energy the older youget. These are all things you can fight and keep or improve your vert into your lower/mid 30's if you really want.

if you stay in shape, mid to late 20's i think. unfortunately if schoolwork takes priority over fitness and you eat a lot of turkey at thanksgiving 22 canmean no more grabbing rim...

18... im only 5'5 but i use to touch the rim at the basketball gym.. that was back when i was 13-17 . and then i started smoking and drinking .
now i can still touch 9ft but not a basketball court anymore...

i mean... look at the NBA man? I think you have a pretty good look at what the real world examples are... when do the best dunkers start to decline at it?Probably late 20's, early 30's?

Back
Top Bottom