Washing your own car vs. Going to the car wash

i washed my car yesterday, cleaned the inside too, took me a solid hour and a half.
saved myself $20. Feel like a million bucks when your cruisin down the street
pimp.gif

I use Optimum No Rinse to wash my car. Cleans pretty well and like it says you don't have to rinse after. Cuts down wash time by a lot, saves water, etc.

nothing beats washing your car YOURSELF at the car wash where they have mutiple bays for plenty of people...

*great way to meet new people and see / book awesome independent dont need a man for exactly everything sexy ladies wash their car!
embarassed.gif

*see nice cars
*you have everything you need there (water, brush, tire cleaner, foam, soap, wax, dryer, vacuum...etc)
*only cost about $6 to $8 to do everything.....(timed washes & vacuum)
*listen to your and others peoples music while you wash
*detail your car to your specifications

all you need is some time and effort!

Aight. This is what I do when I detail my car.

1. I wash the car using turtle ice shampoo(meguiars shampoo is also nice).
2. dry the car with a california blade first, than get remaining water with microfiber towels.
3. Clay bar the car with meguiars clay bar kit.
4. repeat steps 1&2.
5. polish the car
6. Wax the car with meguiars NXT wax.

Approx. time...2-4hours

Sometimes I'll even take off the wheels and clean them before I start washing the car. I always do the interior last, but my interior is always clean so ittakes me about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by MyJaysGetRocked

2. dry the car with a california blade first, than get remaining water with microfiber towels.
4. repeat steps 1&2.
5. polish the car

Approx. time...2-4hours

Sometimes I'll even take off the wheels and clean them before I start washing the car. I always do the interior last, but my interior is always clean so it takes me about 5 minutes.
6cf25caeb3e6506c410c0dd3910c8bbf8213da4_t.gif

During the winters to get salt off, I go to Mike's car wash, probably the best automated car wash around.

But recently I just did a full detail last weekend with clay bar and all, used Zaino products.

It is time consuming though to do it yourself.

depends on your car.
if you drive a nice car...washing it yourself is the best cause itll be alot cleaner and the car wash place unless its touchless can scratch your car.

If you care about your car's paint condition then I would clean it myself. Going to those car washes will SCRATCH the HELL out of your car.. ever noticethose "swirl" marks you see on cars from a certain angle when the sun hits it? Those "swirl" marks are created by improper detailing of thecar. Ever since I got my brand new car, I wanted to make sure I knew how to take care of it so I read hours and hours on car detailing... this is pretty muchwhere I learned ALL about car detailing http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/detailing/ ..I got a lot of myinformation from this particular thread from there http://www.8thcivic.com/f...l-detailing-threads.html

Basically there are 7 steps to car detailing..
1.Wash
2.Clay ( removes contaminants that are stuck to the surface that regular washing wont remove)
3.Polish (If your paint has defects..)
4.Glaze (optional, gives paint more depth)
5.Seal (protects paint.. fills in little paint pores)
6.Wax (shine and protection)
7.Top Coat (optional)

This is what I do for my car:
1. I rinse all the dirt off..then scrub the vehicle using Meguiars gold class shampoo with a microfiber chenille mitt (a glove with dreadlocks on it).. rinseagain, and dry it off with this super absorbent microfiber drying towel (got it from Chemical Guys.. checkem out online or if you're in socal you can godirectly to them)..when I'm drying, I dab the towel onto the paint rather than pulling it along the paint to minimize my chance of scratching my car..

2. If you really want to have a smooth, glass like feeling to your car... you need to claybar your car! This only really needs to be done 2-4 times per year..Iuse Meguiars Claybar kit but Mothers' will do fine as well..

3. I don't polish my car since I have no paint defects in my car..

4. I haven't done this yet because I get lazy ...but if you have a darker color paint, use Meguiars #7 showcar glaze to give it that extra depth andwetness to your paint.

5/6. For these two steps, I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 synthetic wax... it's basically a sealer+wax combined into one.. I just apply with the foam applicatorthat comes with it and wipe it off with a microfiber detailing cloth

For my wheels: I spray with water and scrub with a tire brush... dry it off... then use Belche's tire bleach to remove the grime and dirt off thesurface... it REALLY works.. when I sprayed it onto my tires.. all this nasty brown/green liquid came off.. after this, I dry again..then use Meguiars tiregel. I prefer using the gel because it's neater and easier to apply than a spray...

For my interior..I use Meguiar's natural shine protectant.

That's about it... when I do a full detail on my car.. it takes 5-6 hours...I enjoy doing it though.. it's kind of become a hobby for me! When youfinish, it feels very satisfying and you feel like on top of the world when you drive your car:pimp:

Originally Posted by MOEree5e

nothing beats washing your car YOURSELF at the car wash where they have mutiple bays for plenty of people...

*great way to meet new people and see / book awesome independent dont need a man for exactly everything sexy ladies wash their car!
embarassed.gif

*see nice cars
*you have everything you need there (water, brush, tire cleaner, foam, soap, wax, dryer, vacuum...etc)
*only cost about $6 to $8 to do everything.....(timed washes & vacuum)
*listen to your and others peoples music while you wash
*detail your car to your specifications

all you need is some time and effort!
yea the recycled water they use is also great
sick.gif

Originally Posted by 22stylez

4. repeat steps 1&2.
5. polish the car

Approx. time...2-4hours

Sometimes I'll even take off the wheels and clean them before I start washing the car. I always do the interior last, but my interior is always clean so it takes me about 5 minutes.
roll.gif
Seriously though, take the wheels off to wash them?
sick.gif
and i have rims.Anyways
spent about an hour and a half washing my whip yesterday and it rained all day today so
F this thread.
happy.gif

Originally Posted by miamib30514

Originally Posted by 22stylez

4. repeat steps 1&2.
5. polish the car

Approx. time...2-4hours

roll.gif
Seriously though, take the wheels off to wash them?
sick.gif
and i have rims. Anyways
spent about an hour and a half washing my whip yesterday and it rained all day today so
F this thread
happy.gif

laugh.gif
...thats why you always check the weather first.

I just got finishing washing up the Z..Waxed it, Vacuum, Armor All and Tire shine..The whole nine yards, feels good having a freshly wash car
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

How did I just drop 60 and not even get wax SMH

That's why you bring it to me, i'll charge you $100 for a full detail done by professionals. NT, special.

I hate cleaning my own car with a passion, which is ironic since I own a detail company. It's cool though, I just tell my workers to clean it for me.

I have never taken my car to the car wash, and will never either. Personally, i love the satisfaction a the end of the day when i am finished, it it looksgreat. Go to different forums and check out what they say in regards to washing/detailing, everyone is different and everyone has their own opinions on the"best" products out there. A lot of the steps in washing are standard, wash, clay, wax and so forth, just make sure you do the steps properly, dontuse only one bucket to wash your vehicle either. Also, dont be afraid to spend money on good products to keep your car looking and lasting great. You spend xamount on it, spend the money to keep up with it.

Its a great thing to get into, i actually fully detailed my entire vehicle today for a good 3 hours. Good luck

Automated Car washes will tear you paint up swirls , marring and other stuff . go to detailcity.org and see how to clean your car right

well, I work washing cars at a automotive dealer, I am new but here is what goes down lol
get your car wet, if your car is dirty (mud/dirt) use spray nine and spray it on the body, then scrub it with a shammy, get some car soap use about 1/4 of aquart and then fill the rest with warm water, use the soft side of the soap, so you dont scratch your car, then once it is all clean wash it down, and dry it,and clean your windows with windex, its cheaper if you go to an automatic car wash for 5 bucks, a car wash/detail will cost you 40 dollars....
if your in maryland i'll hook you up, armor all, windows, body, inside, doors, seats, vacuum, interior blah blah blah free for a fellow nter
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by II Jovo II

I have never taken my car to the car wash, and will never either. Personally, i love the satisfaction a the end of the day when i am finished, it it looks great. Go to different forums and check out what they say in regards to washing/detailing, everyone is different and everyone has their own opinions on the "best" products out there. A lot of the steps in washing are standard, wash, clay, wax and so forth, just make sure you do the steps properly, dont use only one bucket to wash your vehicle either. Also, dont be afraid to spend money on good products to keep your car looking and lasting great. You spend x amount on it, spend the money to keep up with it.

Its a great thing to get into, i actually fully detailed my entire vehicle today for a good 3 hours. Good luck
Pretty much somes up how I fell about this topic. Wash your own car. It will come out the way you want it and you get a sence of selfsatisfaction.

id take it to the car wash and let them do it, me im lazy plus they do it fast as hell its just the long wait
depending on the time of day. i want to start washing my own car but bout time u buy the products and stuff u could have gotten your car washed already
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ggarvinXX3

i want to start washing my own car but bout time u buy the products and stuff u could have gotten your car washed already
laugh.gif
roll.gif
I still didn't wash my car, only bought the stuff sofar.

Back
Top Bottom