Was Mike Tyson a Overated Boxer?

desiree-washington.jpg

+

robin_givens_9.jpg

a lot of people are Tyson fans rather than boxing fans, those people tend to overrate him a lot

If you haven't seen the Tyson documentary you should definitely check that out.

Dude is definitely not overrated, he deserves all of the accolades.

Once Cus died, he went downhill from there.

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

Originally Posted by Anubis38

Sports junkie you must not be a sports junkie to even say that stuff knowing the buster fight was bs. You could tell the old Tyson wasn't there just watch him in that match and look at tysons movements and even his face. That wasn't the prime ima knock you out Tyson. He could have beat all of those men you listed if he had his trainer.

How was buster fight bs? The fight happen in 1990. Tyson was in his prime still. I watch the fight with my father.he ain't never beat a quality opponent. Them dudes he was knocking out was bums. I can go on forever.
I am not agreeing with the guy you quoted, but Tyson really did not prepare well and was partying/doing drugs in the week leading up to the fight. In other words he was not taking care of business to make sure he was at his best and that's the main reason why he lost. 
And while I'm not gonna argue that he was the greatest because I'm only 23 and my boxing knowledge is limited, a lot of people think Tyson was just some goon who hit people really hard when that really wasn't the case. He was actually pretty well versed/well read technique wise, especially under Cus. I know he had a lot of funny quotes, but if you pay close attention he is a very insightful and fascinating person. Follow him on facebook; he actually posts a lot of good stuff and is really humble.  

Every champ that stays undefeated for a while gets accused of beating bums. Louis, Marciano, Tyson, Roy Jones, Mayweather.

I feel like you can be a victim of your own sucess. It's almost like you gotta lose a fight to show how great you are.

If Ali would have never lost a fight, I'm not sure he'd be considered as "great" as he is now. Norton, Foreman, Frazier, etc. would have been "bums".  

Edit: Ali would have been considered a great regardless, but coming back from his losses and defeating champions cemented his legacy, IMO

I hate when folks that don't know boxing.. talk about boxing.

No, Mike Tyson is not overrated.  Is the greatest fighter of all-time? No. The greatest Heavyweight of all-time? No.

But he is one of the greatest..  One thing you guys forget to mention is that he holds a record THAT WILL NEVER BE BROKEN.  He was a 20 year old kid when he won a piece of the Heavyweight title.  Add to that he wasn't a big heavyweight. Under 6 foot and weighed around 210.  He was a damn Cruiser knocking out Heavys.

A lot of people talk about Mike's power and his ability to KO folks.  But it wasn't just power.. Mike speed was unmatched in his era of Heavyweights.

boxers are not really "overrated " when they win world titles and successfully defend them so I don 't see how a champion could be overrated , especially a guy like Iron Mike who was the most dangerous / powerful heavyweight i can remember

Also OP , you could use a slight brush up on grammar , your posts are hard to read

king screwed him out of hundreds of millions and helped break him mentally. otherwise, he was on his way to being one of the GOATs.

I remember watching aa tyson fight at H20(club in DC) where tyson fought at the MCI center. He lost. He quit during the fight.

not counting his exhibition tour, this was his last fight if im not mistaken where he was even with kevin mcbride, but A. realized he should be DESTROYING mcbride and gave up and B. its rumored he bet against (or had someone else do it) himself big time in the fight.

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

Me and my friends was having a debate 1 day about mike tyson. They were saying how tyson was oneof the greatest fighters of all time. IMO, i think he is mad overrated. Like when did he beat a quality fighter. All those dudes he was knocking out was bums. Larry Holmes and Bruno wasnt that good. they was washed up. Its funny how when tyson lost, they made up an excuses on why he lost.

Like Buster Douglass beat him in his prime.Holyfiled came outta of retirement and beat him twice.(Yall know what happen the 2nd time they fight) I remember watching aa tyson fight at H20(club in DC) where tyson fought at the MCI center. He lost. He quit during the fight. Also Lennox Lewis beat him. Somebody explain why he great?
Go to sleep.

Adam Carolla's comments about Tyson sums it up (and Carolla's a boxing junkie, along with being a trainer and fighter, so he knows what he's talking about): not the best boxer in the world, but top of the list of guys nobody wanted to face in the ring.

Tyson isn't overrated. His flaws are noted. Natural talent and ferocity, he's almost unmatched. Mental toughness is another story.

Originally Posted by bleach

a lot of people are Tyson fans rather than boxing fans, those people tend to overrate him a lot

Thats my whole point in this thread. everyone making excuses for him on why he fell off. Its no denying Tyson talent. I seen Tyson fight numerus of times.I am a fan of boxing. I just call it like i see it. Tyson aint never beat a quality fighter. Mental Toughness is part of what makes you great. How can you make a case for someonewho bit another man on the ear. If you was a skill fighter. you would control it. He even bit lennox lewis on the ankle
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I definitely have other heavyweights ahead of him on my 'best boxers' list but he was a great fighter. Tyson couldn't help the era he fought in

I do love that Douglas fight though, I watch that at least every few months. Still remember it happening as a kid

As a BOXER yes he was not Pernell Whitaker or DLH but as a knock out fighter I think he could knock out anyone in history assuming he actually hit them. However the way Buster Douglas whipped him in his prime makes me wonder if he could even close with other all time great heavy weights. 

Back
Top Bottom