Was I being rascist?

everybody who isnt white feels offended by white people making race related comments.
laugh.gif

racism hierarchy

whites

everybody else

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

It probably didn't register to her that you were broke enough to sincerely be asking the price of a cup of tea AND that you had the sense of urgency and audacity to ask a random asian person.
If I were asian I would have though you were clownin with your boy.
This!

To be honest, if you walked up to me and asked me where you could get good fried chicken, I'd answer and not be offended.  However, if you asked me the exact price as if I was some expert on fried chicken, I'd want to kick your butt. 

So yea, in a way you were being racist by asking that type of question as if she is an expert on bubble tea because she was Asian. 

no man u were just asking her a question..why does it matter either..stop being insecure smh

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Perfect response.  I'ma go further and touch on what you typed, though... just to be blunt.  White people are some the most racially insensitive group of people out there.  Even worse when they feel the need to tell a MINORITY what they shouldn't be offended by.  Nah, man... it don't work like that.  

QFMFT. 

Let's say I want to ask a random person about football.

In my immediate area is a 6'5" 250lb built dude, and a 5'2" 110lb girl.

Who do I ask without being prejudiced?

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

how is that the same? Has nothing to do with race? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

laugh.gif

Not an identical situation— no. But it's profiling/stereotyping/whatever you want to call it. Just something to think about.

Originally Posted by MeloManFan

Yes I did ask her because she's Chinese, but is that racist or practical? Its not like I asked her if she knows how to reverse park or something
laugh.gif

This is what bubble tea is
That statement right there made your question VERY racist.

And to touch on what you said about watching Chappelle's show and correlating it with stereotypes and it being light fun, you sound relatively young citing a tv show for making it ok to say racist things. I think you missed the entire point of the show. That's all I'll say about that, I don't want to derail the thread. BTW, Ham City was on point with his response.

it was racist because you asked just because she was Asian

if you were asking just because she was random (no matter her color/race/creed) and you thought she might know
then no its not racist

side note .. no one even knows what white people like - word to dave chappelle

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

laugh.gif

Not an identical situation— no. But it's profiling/stereotyping/whatever you want to call it. Just something to think about.
I see what you're saying, but the race issue is the whole point. 

Originally Posted by MeloManFan

Those black balls are called tapioca. They ite, but I substitute them out for broken up lychee jelly instead with mango ice milk tea
pimp.gif
eek.gif
That's racist.
As for the original topic, it would've been o.k. if you were already friends. Pretty much anything goes. But she was a stranger. So you just have to be a bit sensitive because you have no clue what her true background is and what she does or doesn't stake her identity and self-worth on.

For something to be racist it has to offend or violate in the form of prejudice. I didn't say anything offensive to her or her race. I didn't even bring her race up. I just asked her a question because to the blind eye she appears to be a person that would give an accurate answer. If you saw a black women and a chinese women, who would you ask snout hair braiding services?Srs

roll.gif
i'd have told her "you were the closest person to me so i asked you first"

i'm wild insensitive though thanks to being the only white dude in my circle of friends.  call me racist and i'll show my family photos to prove you wrong.
laugh.gif
i just cus like a sailor and drink like a texan.
ohwell.gif
k

If in your head you were thinking, "I'm gonna ask this asian chick" as opposed to "I'm gonna ask this chick in front of me because she's the closest one around" then YES you are a racist! YOU BAD PERSON! Lol jk if someone asked me I wouldn't mind... actually I don't know. I'm half black/mexican so if someone asked me where to get chicken I'd be pretty mad. Considering you only said there was one store.. damn idk... I'm so confused now.

It's said that minorities can't be racist, only prejudiced, because racism implies being a part of the dominant culture.

no you were not racist op.

you stereotyped but to be honest with you, damn near everyone has been guilty of stereotyping either off of someones race, how they dress, how they talk, how they act, etc. doesn't make it right but it's the truth.

Originally Posted by illmatic34

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

Perfect response.  I'ma go further and touch on what you typed, though... just to be blunt.  White people are some the most racially insensitive group of people out there.  Even worse when they feel the need to tell a MINORITY what they shouldn't be offended by.  Nah, man... it don't work like that.  
QFMFT. 

and while there may be a level of truth to this,  this is a perfect example of stereotyping at it's finest.

Back
Top Bottom