Want a 4X4 SUV.. Better buy, a 2005 Rover or a 2010 X-Terra?

I have a budget of about 35k on a 4x4 SUV. I've driven my brother's RR '05 several times (actually drove it through steep hills and ruggedterrain), but still haven't driven the X-Terra (and probably wouldn't get a good impression of the off road capabilities in a test drive anyway). Inshort, the pros and cons for both:

2005 Land Rover RR HSE
Pros
- Last Rover to have a BMW engine
- Aesthetically better looking and better quality build
- Advanced terrain controls
- In the mid-50k mile range, about the same price of a new X-Terra

Cons
- Used vehicle
- Lots of unnecessary trips to the dealer for recalls and minor problems
- Expensive maintenance

2010 Off Road X-Terra
Pros
- Reliable vehicle
- Based on price and performance, probably the best in class
- Would be bought new
- Inexpensive maintenance
- As the name says, good off road performance

Cons
- None really, other than the cheap materials used for the exterior and interior

Both obviously have horrible gas mileage, but I'm expecting that with whatever vehicle I buy with my specifications. To be honest, I was really going forthe X-Terra, but after seeing first hand the performance of the RR I was really sold (especially since the one I wanted was in the same price range as theX-Terra). Any input or suggestions?

The X-terra sounds like a better deal
but the Range is 10x more
pimp.gif

mid 50k range for the range rover? maintenance will be a $+%$!/$$$$... our range rover had a TON of problems... land rover is probably the most unreliable carmaker out there... it will give you a lot of problems... go with the xterra...

rover are nice, if u can support the high maintence cost for them ...sure why not ...

Xterra are real dope, they do real well off road too ...only CON with the xterra....you can't stuff big tires unless you do major mod to the suspension...but other then that xterra are real dope ....

OP, how about a 4runner ...the new 2010 is about to be released so toyota is gonna try to get rid of the older model ....
happy.gif

Originally Posted by 18th letter

The X-terra sounds like a better deal
but the Range is 10x more
pimp.gif
THIS

Range is a very nice looking suv, but the drawbacks are what you listed...the X-terra on the other hand is brand new, reliable, and maintenance will be a lotless expensive..and you probably wont be scared to get it a bit dirty
laugh.gif

2010 Toyota 4Runner FTW! But I would go with the X-Terra personally out of the two. Too hard to predict the reliability of an used Range Rover.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

2010 Toyota 4Runner FTW! But I would go with the X-Terra personally out of the two. Too hard to predict the reliability of an used Range Rover.

163_099_04z+2010_toyota_4runner+driver_side_front_three_quarter_static.jpg

looking beastly!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I was thinking about the 4Runner '10 as well (after seeing the photos a week or two ago), but the base on the trail model is already 35k.. with TTL anddepending on what packages I would want to add, the price would easily be closer to 40k.
Originally Posted by BananaBoy2601

What about a Land Cruiser or the LX470?
Didn't really look into either of those. I'm sort of a Nissan loyalist, so I didn't consider it, plus both cars are out of my pricerange. Truth be told, I want something brand new, and both those cars are way over my price range. Only reason I even considered the Range Rover is because ofit's reputation for being excellent off-road vehicles, plus my experience driving it.

I'm happy with the input I've received here, I expected everyone to suggest the Rover just because it was.. well, a Rover.

By the way, for a reference on why I decided on the X-Terra as a primary choice, here is the Edmunds Top 10 2008 4WDVehicles for Off-Highway Use:

1 Dodge Ram 2500
2 Hummer H2
3 Hummer H3
4 Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 Jeep Wrangler
6 Land Rover Range Rover
7 Nissan Xterra
8 Toyota FJ Cruiser
9 Toyota Land Cruiser
10 Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

I was thinking about the 4Runner '10 as well (after seeing the photos a week or two ago), but the base on the trail model is already 35k.. with TTL and depending on what packages I would want to add, the price would easily be closer to 40k.

Didn't really look into either of those. I'm sort of a Nissan loyalist, so I didn't consider it, plus both cars are out of my price range. Truth be told, I want something brand new, and both those cars are way over my price range. Only reason I even considered the Range Rover is because of it's reputation for being excellent off-road vehicles, plus my experience driving it.

I'm happy with the input I've received here, I expected everyone to suggest the Rover just because it was.. well, a Rover.

By the way, for a reference on why I decided on the X-Terra as a primary choice, here is the Edmunds Top 10 2008 4WD Vehicles for Off-Highway Use:

1 Dodge Ram 2500
2 Hummer H2
3 Hummer H3
4 Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 Jeep Wrangler
6 Land Rover Range Rover
7 Nissan Xterra
8 Toyota FJ Cruiser
9 Toyota Land Cruiser
10 Toyota Tacoma

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

if u got question PM me, i think i'm one of two people that owns one on NT ...everyone on NT drive a BMW or Infiniti
laugh.gif
beside me

dont spend that kind of money on a used car.
especially a used car that has no warranty!
LR's are NOT known to be reliable cars.
be prepared for costly repairs soon after purchase.

Originally Posted by i3allistic

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

I was thinking about the 4Runner '10 as well (after seeing the photos a week or two ago), but the base on the trail model is already 35k.. with TTL and depending on what packages I would want to add, the price would easily be closer to 40k.

Didn't really look into either of those. I'm sort of a Nissan loyalist, so I didn't consider it, plus both cars are out of my price range. Truth be told, I want something brand new, and both those cars are way over my price range. Only reason I even considered the Range Rover is because of it's reputation for being excellent off-road vehicles, plus my experience driving it.

By the way, for a reference on why I decided on the X-Terra as a primary choice, here is the Edmunds Top 10 2008 4WD Vehicles for Off-Highway Use:

1 Dodge Ram 2500
2 Hummer H2
3 Hummer H3
4 Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 Jeep Wrangler
6 Land Rover Range Rover
7 Nissan Xterra
8 Toyota FJ Cruiser
9 Toyota Land Cruiser
10 Toyota Tacoma

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

if u got question PM me, i think i'm one of two people that owns one on NT ...everyone on NT drive a BMW or Infiniti
laugh.gif
beside me
FJ Cruiser is lookin real clean out there. Everytime I see one I gotta do a double take.

What about a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4x4? You'll get pretty good fuel economy on the highway at cruising speeds, plus you can get some bad !$* turbowhine.

DO NOT GET THE RANGE.
I bought a used 05 ($27,995 w/o warranty) last November after somebody stole my Trailblazer (
smh.gif
) and that thing was a (()) magnet but i couldnt get jiggy withthe repairs.
Maybe mines was just bad luck but i wont ever get one again since it had to go to the shop 4 times in less than 8 months.
Im only 21 and could not afford to keep up with the maintenance.
The happiest day i had with the RR was when it got smacked while i was in the barbershop getting a lining.

Insurance paid it off.

From now on i will only buy domestic or new

Back
Top Bottom