Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi everyone.

Maybe you can advise what's my best option: Sprint is now offering HTC 10 for $240. However, it appears you still have to choose a plan even though I want to pay full price in cash in store (because I dont live in US and heading back to Europe). Sprint rep online told that I can buy the phone with plan and maybe cancel it right away. Would there be any fees?

Thanks guys

Hi everyone.

Maybe you can advise what's my best option: Sprint is now offering HTC 10 for $240. However, it appears you still have to choose a plan even though I want to pay full price in cash in store (because I dont live in US and heading back to Europe). Sprint rep online told that I can buy the phone with plan and maybe cancel it right away. Would there be any fees?

Thanks guys

Hey, welcome to the U.S.! Please know that most Americans hate Trump. Just had to preface this post with that.

Yes, there will almost definitely be a fee or several. We don't have the same protections as many European nations, especially those in the EU due to their regulations on electronics. This allows Sprint (and a lot of other companies) to advertise a selling price of $240, even though the actual amount you pay will end up much higher. This is the worst case scenario:

Sprint will charge you $240 for the device itself. They will also charge you an Activation Fee regardless of what plan you purchase, which will be around $30. Once the phone is activated on Sprint's network, it is standard for the phone to be locked to Sprint's network for 50 days. This means that you will be responsible for at least 2 months of service, most likely totaling another $100. But wait, there's more! There are different plan tiers, some of which come with a long-term/2 year agreement. If you purchase a plan on a long term agreement, you will be subject to an early termination fee of up to an additional $350 (https://www.sprint.com/en/support/s...illing/learn-about-early-termination-fee.html) Just as an added bonus, if you don't sign up for auto-pay billing, they'll tack on an extra $5/mo just to say thanks.

Device ($240) + Activation ($30) + 50 days of service ($100) = $390, not including taxes. With an ETF it would be $240 + $30 + $350 = ~$620.00

As we all know, some rules are more flexible than others. Sprint and other carriers have been known to relax on the 50 day network lock, for example. If you choose to stop in a Sprint store, here are my recommendations:

1. Ask if you can purchase the phone outright without a plan. They will likely tell you that you have to purchase with a plan, but if you explain that you are from Europe and will not be able to use Sprint's service at home, they may make an exception.
2. If they force you to agree to a plan, MAKE SURE that it is a month-to-month or prepaid plan that is not subject to an Early Termination Fee. Ask "Are you 100% sure that I will not receive an ETF if I decide to end my contract?"" The staff in the store will almost undoubtedly try to avoid giving you a definite answer. Make them.
3. Good luck :D

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the heads up regarding Trump! :D It is nice to hear that.

Again, thanks for detailed answer.

So I guess I will be hard to get this HTC :smh:

I just talked to Sprint rep through 24/7 online live chat. He suggested buying locked phone and unlocking it myself. If I buy locked phone can I not activate it and don't sign any plans/contracts? Is it possible?

I'm in NYC, almost no stores have HTC 10 (I called 6 at least), so I guess it will be harder to find a phone, than purchasing it without any plan etc.

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up regarding Trump! :D It is nice to hear that.

Again, thanks for detailed answer.

So I guess I will be hard to get this HTC :smh:

I just talked to Sprint rep through 24/7 online live chat. He suggested buying locked phone and unlocking it myself. If I buy locked phone can I not activate it and don't sign any plans/contracts? Is it possible?

I'm in NYC, almost no stores have HTC 10 (I called 6 at least), so I guess it will be harder to find a phone, than purchasing it without any plan etc.

:lol: no problem. I feel ashamed that people in the U.S. elected that guy for any form of government, especially the presidency.

It will probably be pretty tough to find one - the HTC 10 was not popular here, and the few stores that did receive them only got a handful of devices.

There are ways to unlock pretty much any phone, so it's definitely possible, it's just a matter of how much trouble you're willing to go through. Without a special exception, Sprint will simply refuse to sell you the device without a plan. The Sprint rep was essentially telling you to get the phone, pay for the plan in advance or cancel it early (be careful to avoid an ETF), and then unlock it that way. If you choose this method, you will probably have to pay for an unlock from an online vendor, which can range anywhere from $5 to $50 depending on the device and carrier.

On the other hand, if you activate the device and keep it on Sprint's network for 50 days, they will unlock free of charge. If I were you, I would order it with a prepaid plan if they allow it. With a prepaid plan, you can just load the minimum amount (probably around $50) and then just keep the plan active for 50 days. After the 50 days are up, you'll be able to request an unlock and cancel the plan without an ETF (prepaid plans aren't subject to ETF.) Calling customer service and ordering it over the phone will probably be easier than trying to find a physical store with one in stock or set up your purchase through the online chat.

Aey, anybody playin Angry Birds: Evolution? I'm tryna squad up
laugh.gif
Tried it and uninstalled after about 6 mins

I just talked with another Sprint rep and that's what he wrote:

Patrick A. : I apologize if you were informed that, but I would like to inform you that since you are purchasing the device on full price, it's not necessary to have any plan attached with it.

For confirmation he also wrote:

Patrick A. : Be assured, you will receive a copy of the chat on your email within 2-3 hours once you end the chat and you can show it to them if they disagree.

Patrick A. : I think they might not have been clear with your question last time, that's why they should have declined it.

So maybe..it is possible?

whats up people. long time.

So I'm thinking of getting the moto x play or either Samsung Note 5 or 4 (whatever is reasonable in terms of price) trying to get it used phone as backphone. For various tasks especially for gaming cause the iphone 6 i got is not cutting it when it comes to a long battery life for gaming.

I'm not trying to buy anything new cause i'm saving up for other things.

which would be a better choice the moto x play or samsung Note?
They both have steallar battery life and great performace for what im looking for just having a tough time coming to a decision.

Not android specific but one of the speakers in my wife's Samsung Level U headset went out, would it be better to get a new set or try to get this one fixed?

The Note won't actually look like that, it's a rendering, no?

Decided to wait until the end of the year, or BF to capitalize on some deals, to purchase a phone outright. Feels good to have unlimited data again for $35. Haven't had a phone bill this cheap since getting moved off SERO way back when I upgraded to the EVO :lol:.

Also, do y'all rock with smartwatches? If so, what are y'all pros and cons of them?

Also, do y'all rock with smartwatches? If so, what are y'all pros and cons of them?
I have a Gear Fit 2 and biggest complaint is you will have to charge it at least once every other day. Depending on which one you get it can make simple tasks very convenient but it's not a necessity

Gear fit 2 is cool to me. Basically what the guy above me said. Charging it isn't an issue at all to me. I just take it off and set it in its charger. Some people might sleep in theirs though.

Back
Top Bottom