Vid : Beckham vs Fans

Some of those fans were already amped up in a real negative way towards Beckham over the Donovan whatever his name is nonsense. Beckham giving them theopportunity to further fan the flames is just dumb and kinda reckless.

At the same time some fans are way out of control and feel they're beyond reproach to the point of being able to say or do anything to a player, which Ithink is the bigger negative than the player getting angry about it.

from what i've read, however, from other soccer forums, it was only a small portion of the LARS that participated in the anti-beckham sentiment that nightwith the booing, banners, etc.

so i don't want to generalize the LARS or the galaxy fans as a whole.

however, in fairness to them, according to what i read, the anti-beckham banners was just for that one friendly. a lot of folks said they wouldn't do thatto one of their own players during a real match. i think they just wanted to get it out of their system, which is fair because i see where they're comingfrom.

that said, i agree, sirius. some fans are way out of control and take it too far.

for example, there was a section of ultras at milan that booed paolo maldini and had anti-maldini banners. *$%?! that guy is a living legend there. verydisgraceful.

Originally Posted by I3

Dude is pretty professional in terms of how he handles himself.
Maybe in the past but his behavior has been pretty questionable at the Galaxy.

Originally Posted by zizou

you have to understand the situation he was in.

i think looking back at the last 2 years, he regrets it.

after the 2006 world cup, england had a new manager, steve mclaren. he (mcclaren) wanted to stamp his authority on the squad by dropping beckham out of the england team. one of the criticisms of mclaren's predecssor, sven eriksson, was that he had his favorites (which included beckham) and played them no matter what fitness or form they were in.

so beckham gets dropped from the england squad. his contract was up at real madrid after the 06-07 season, and his sides and madrid weren't agreeing on a renewal. he was also enduring a rough season, where he got benched for another player (jose antonio reyes), and he was no longer an automatic starter for real madrid.

so if madrid weren't willing to renew his contract, he was in a jam. eventually, it was known that milan wanted to sign him. but at that point in his career, the only thing he looked forward to was playing for england again in the 2010 world cup. he didn't want to play for any other english sides other than man united, and that wasn't gonna happen. and since he was dropped from england, i think he pretty much figured his hopes were gone. he actually has said that he practically gave up on being recalled to the national team.

so he went for the money and "trying to make soccer more popular in the u.s. blah blah blah"

it's funny how it worked out because after the news broke out that he was gonna join the MLS, his club banned him. yet, he continued to train and didn't complain. and remarkably, his manager (now england's current manager, fabio capello) brought him back in the squad. beckham was in the form of his life (probably the best i've seen him play since the first half of his first season at madrid), and was crucial to madrid coming back from behind to win the league. during that process, he was recalled back into the england side and has been pretty much a fixture since.

so looking back, i think he does regret coming. reading grant wahll's book brings some light into why he's so frustrated here. if he had known that he would have been recalled to the national team, i think he would have joined milan then.
Pretty much sums it up... it was an unfortunate situation at Real with him and Ronaldo (the Brazilian)... both were benched just because. Whatother options did he have at that time anyway? I don't remember, but were Milan interested in him at that time? or was it after his season with theGalaxy? I don't remember, but what led to Milan's interest in him?

Yeah, his form during the latter part of Madrid's championship season was the best I've seen in a while, but by then he had already signed with LA.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

I still don't understand why he even came to the MLS. I know money talks but if I still had the oppertunity to play for a top european club team why on earth would I choose to play for a joke of a league.

after the 2006 world cup, england had a new manager, steve mclaren. he (mcclaren) wanted to stamp his authority on the squad by dropping beckham out of the england team. one of the criticisms of mclaren's predecssor, sven eriksson, was that he had his favorites (which included beckham) and played them no matter what fitness or form they were in.

so beckham gets dropped from the england squad. his contract was up at real madrid after the 06-07 season, and his sides and madrid weren't agreeing on a renewal. he was also enduring a rough season, where he got benched for another player (jose antonio reyes), and he was no longer an automatic starter for real madrid.

so if madrid weren't willing to renew his contract, he was in a jam. eventually, it was known that milan wanted to sign him. but at that point in his career, the only thing he looked forward to was playing for england again in the 2010 world cup. he didn't want to play for any other english sides other than man united, and that wasn't gonna happen. and since he was dropped from england, i think he pretty much figured his hopes were gone. he actually has said that he practically gave up on being recalled to the national team.

so he went for the money and "trying to make soccer more popular in the u.s. blah blah blah"

it's funny how it worked out because after the news broke out that he was gonna join the MLS, his club banned him. yet, he continued to train and didn't complain. and remarkably, his manager (now england's current manager, fabio capello) brought him back in the squad. beckham was in the form of his life (probably the best i've seen him play since the first half of his first season at madrid), and was crucial to madrid coming back from behind to win the league. during that process, he was recalled back into the england side and has been pretty much a fixture since.

so looking back, i think he does regret coming. reading grant wahll's book brings some light into why he's so frustrated here. if he had known that he would have been recalled to the national team, i think he would have joined milan then.

good reply..thanks..

I'm a bit surprised at the responses backing Beckham here. in my opinion both sides are at fault, but why is he provoking behavior out of the fans at ahome game? I know the fans were already pissed at him, but why not let it be? The guy shouldn't have jumped over the railing but Beckham shouldn't havebeen over there in the first place.

Both parties were acting irrationally if you ask me, no common sense shown whatsoever.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Pretty much sums it up... it was an unfortunate situation at Real with him and Ronaldo (the Brazilian)... both were benched just because. What other options did he have at that time anyway? I don't remember, but were Milan interested in him at that time? or was it after his season with the Galaxy? I don't remember, but what led to Milan's interest in him?

Yeah, his form during the latter part of Madrid's championship season was the best I've seen in a while, but by then he had already signed with LA.

there was some talk about milan, but it wasn't really known until after he signed with the mls. by then, i remember he said a few times that milan andother big clubs were interested. and by the time the milan loan deal was being discussed, i think milan also confirmed that they wanted to sign him.

as to why milan wanted to sign him? dunno for sure, but it was probably due to several reasons: he can still play, the commercial aspect (probably the biggestreason), he's over 30 (j/k
happy.gif
). the commercial aspect was probablythe main reason. plus, he would have been a free transfer so they'd only have to pay his wages.

Originally Posted by JDB1523

I'm a bit surprised at the responses backing Beckham here. in my opinion both sides are at fault, but why is he provoking behavior out of the fans at a home game? I know the fans were already pissed at him, but why not let it be? The guy shouldn't have jumped over the railing but Beckham shouldn't have been over there in the first place.

Both parties were acting irrationally if you ask me, no common sense shown whatsoever.
i agree. both parties are at fault.

I'm a bit surprised at the responses backing Beckham here. in my opinion both sides are at fault, but why is he provoking behavior out of the fans at a home game? I know the fans were already pissed at him, but why not let it be? The guy shouldn't have jumped over the railing but Beckham shouldn't have been over there in the first place.

Personally, this all started with Donovan pulling a b-move and speaking to reporters instead of going straight to Beckham. Had he not pulled thisb-move that showed he was resentful and jealous at the fact that a "washed up" Beckham overshadowed him this situation would have never happened.

Originally Posted by DownyBoy

Personally, this all started with Donovan pulling a b-move and speaking to reporters instead of going straight to Beckham. Had he not pulled this b-move that showed he was resentful and jealous at the fact that a "washed up" Beckham overshadowed him this situation would have never happened.

the fans were mad even before the book came out, i think youre giving beckham too much of a pass here, donovan tried to talk to him, heres an excerpt from thebook

"By mid-July, Donovan felt he needed to say something to Beckham about it, but it was a sign of their increasingly distant relationship that he did so bytext message. I know you're frustrated and I know you're trying, Donovan wrote, but we need you farther up the field where you're more dangerous.You're the best player out there and you need the ball, but it doesn't help us achieve anything if you're doing other people's jobs.Beckham's reply was short: We just need guys to be better on the field and do a better job. Donovan tried to follow up with Beckham in the locker room thenext day -- "You understand what I'm saying?" he asked -- but Beckham clearly didn't want to talk about it."

i dont even hate beckham but hows he gonna talk about how committed he is to american soccer and then skip half a season and now hes gonna try to do the samething again next season or just opt out of his contract completely, and how do you justify all the secret front office shenanigans he was pulling with terrybyrne

Originally Posted by rothypejc

Personally, this all started with Donovan pulling a b-move and speaking to reporters instead of going straight to Beckham. Had he not pulled this b-move that showed he was resentful and jealous at the fact that a "washed up" Beckham overshadowed him this situation would have never happened.

the fans were mad even before the book came out, i think youre giving beckham too much of a pass here, donovan tried to talk to him, heres an excerpt from the book

"By mid-July, Donovan felt he needed to say something to Beckham about it, but it was a sign of their increasingly distant relationship that he did so by text message. I know you're frustrated and I know you're trying, Donovan wrote, but we need you farther up the field where you're more dangerous. You're the best player out there and you need the ball, but it doesn't help us achieve anything if you're doing other people's jobs. Beckham's reply was short: We just need guys to be better on the field and do a better job. Donovan tried to follow up with Beckham in the locker room the next day -- "You understand what I'm saying?" he asked -- but Beckham clearly didn't want to talk about it."

i dont even hate beckham but hows he gonna talk about how committed he is to american soccer and then skip half a season and now hes gonna try to do the same thing again next season or just opt out of his contract completely, and how do you justify all the secret front office shenanigans he was pulling with terry byrne
true. the fans were pissed off because he assured them that he would come back after the original loan period. then he went on tv and interviewssaying he wanted to stay for the rest of the season. donovan's comments in the book only fanned the flames.

i had just finished reading that book, and it gave an interesting window into what was happening behind the scenes. but it's more than just him and byrne.and the fact is, nobody really knows just how involved beckham, himself, was. but the blame lies on everyone from leiwecke to fuller to 19 entertainment tobyrne to lalas to beckham, etc. i think every GM and owner should read this book so they know how NOT to run a team.
laugh.gif

beckham> LA galaxy fans
took the words right out of my mouth. the joke is on the galaxy fans. lame excuse of a football club.
Care to elaborate on this ?

And I used to have my season tickets with the "Riot Squad". Don't let the name fool you.
laugh.gif

I haven't liked the guy on the team since he got here. I was a Galaxy fan before he came and although they sucked for a few years they were always one ofthe best managed franchises in MLS. I wish they would have sold him to Milan last December. You don't keep a player who openly states he doesn't wantto play for you.

As for the booing, I think it was expected but some of the signs and the things the people were saying went overboard. I personally wouldn't boo himbecause I know damn well if he scored for my team I would cheer and in result look like a hypocrit. I cant wait for him to leave though. This team is literallya circus with him.

Originally Posted by socluis90

beckham> LA galaxy fans
took the words right out of my mouth. the joke is on the galaxy fans. lame excuse of a football club.
Care to elaborate on this ?

And I used to have my season tickets with the "Riot Squad". Don't let the name fool you.
laugh.gif

I haven't liked the guy on the team since he got here. I was a Galaxy fan before he came and although they sucked for a few years they were always one of the best managed franchises in MLS. I wish they would have sold him to Milan last December. You don't keep a player who openly states he doesn't want to play for you.

As for the booing, I think it was expected but some of the signs and the things the people were saying went overboard. I personally wouldn't boo him because I know damn well if he scored for my team I would cheer and in result look like a hypocrit. I cant wait for him to leave though. This team is literally a circus with him.
and this is exactly why i said, earlier, that i refuse to generalize galaxy fans and LARS members.

from what i've read, the banners and excessive booing came from just a small portion of the LARS. the rest of the LARS are like any other supportersgroups. they will cheer on the player that plays for your team. and from my understanding, this was a one time deal with LARS....i suppose just to get it outof the system. i find it hard to believe they'll continue to boo one of their own for the rest of the season.

yeah i hope they don't boo no more. From what I understood it was a one time thing but they took it personal so idk.

Back
Top Bottom