V.2014 ITS BALLING SEASON AGAIN.....TAXES!!! Where you doing yours?

IRS is canceling some refunds because of the offset glitch. I guess people who owed student loans/child support was slipping through the system and getting their full tax refund back lol

Last edited:
 I dont think so but to be safe file yours first with the dependant then wait until you get your fed back then have your mom do her thing with her state. Can't hurt it is only helping her. maybe villian can chime in

(Speaking about federal income taxes, not claiming an exempt on a check as asked above)
This is the thing, I claimed my brother (who'm my parents are the ones who financially support him).
I then did the taxes with my parents claiming him and saw that they still owed quite a bit, it helped but not substantially.
When I claimed him, I did the math and got back a lot more than what they would get deducted if they claimed him so i did it that way and I'm
giving them the money for my brother. This way would make them owe about 2-3 grand less, thus it made more mathematical sense to do it this way
as it would help more.

To word my original question better, since on my federal tax return I claimed 1 dependent, does that mean I have to claim that dependent on the State tax return? Or can I file my parents state income return using the dependent I used in my federal return as long as i don't in my state return.

(Speaking about federal income taxes, not claiming an exempt on a check as asked above)
This is the thing, I claimed my brother (who'm my parents are the ones who financially support him).
I then did the taxes with my parents claiming him and saw that they still owed quite a bit, it helped but not substantially.
When I claimed him, I did the math and got back a lot more than what they would get deducted if they claimed him so i did it that way and I'm
giving them the money for my brother. This way would make them owe about 2-3 grand less, thus it made more mathematical sense to do it this way
as it would help more.

To word my original question better, since on my federal tax return I claimed 1 dependent, does that mean I have to claim that dependent on the State tax return? Or can I file my parents state income return using the dependent I used in my federal return as long as i don't in my state return.
Not sure about that, i would think you could. State really dont care to much as long as you can prove dependancy it if you get reviewed or audited. I would call a tax person tommorow if i were you

Not sure about that, i would think you could. State really dont care to much as long as you can prove dependancy it if you get reviewed or audited. I would call a tax person tommorow if i were you

so based on the irs info i linked you to earlier... do your parents meet the qualifications described to claim your brother as a dependent? better question, do you meet the qualifications described to claim your brother as a dependent?

here is the relevant part of that page i linked you to:
"If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child. See the Special Rule for Qualifying Child of More Than One Person described later to find out which person is the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child."

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_2013_publink1000220917

basically, i'm trying to indicate that either it is correct for you to claim your brother, or it is correct for your parents to claim your brother (actually, option 3 would be that neither of you should be claiming him, but you haven't given enough info to ascertain that.) but it would not be correct for both you and your parents to be ABLE to claim your brother. one or the other, not both, perhaps neither.

check with IRS, FTB, or a paid preparer for more info.

so based on the irs info i linked you to earlier... do your parents meet the qualifications described to claim your brother as a dependent? better question, do you meet the qualifications described to claim your brother as a dependent?

"If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child. See the Special Rule for Qualifying Child of More Than One Person described later to find out which person is the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child."

basically, i'm trying to indicate that either it is correct for you to claim your brother, or it is correct for your parents to claim your brother (actually, option 3 would be that neither of you should be claiming him, but you haven't given enough info to ascertain that.) but it would not be correct for both you and your parents to be ABLE to claim your brother. one or the other, not both, perhaps neither.

What he is saying that him,his brother and his mom stay together. So really either or could claim him. But he want to claim the brother for fed and have the mom claim the brother for state

they meet the qualifications yes. I do not. But I claimed him in order to help them out, I'm giving them the money since they'd get more that way. Morally wrong, yes.

So it looks like I've recieved my state return. Is that a sure sign the Federal will be here today as well?

Last edited:
Just checked wmr I my federal was approved deposit date is the 11th :pimp: I did mine Monday morning. Weird I didn't get a email from turbo tax saying the same thing, they'll probably send it in the am

Mines havent even showed up on the wheres my refund or turbotax.

Mom did mines, saod itll be here around the 8-12th. Havent gotten any notification of anything being accepted yet. Should that be a red flag.

Was supposed to get it the 6th

Updated with "there is a delay in processing" today

and state won't be here until at least the 12th

Last edited:
"Aint got a job so I aint payin nan taxes." ~ Money Mo

Seriously though, I pay taxes in other countries so I don't get taxed out here.

So it looks like I've recieved my state return. Is that a sure sign the Federal will be here today as well?
Just got my state refund today too. Federal usually comes a few days after if everything went right.

Got my State yesterday, too. Hoping that Fed comes through in the next couple days. Both were accepted on the 30th.

Last edited:
So what's the usual timetable btwn Accepted and approval? Mine was approved for both state and fed almost instantly per TurboTax.

Fed shows it was received and it'd be 21 days from my filing date, which was the 4th...so before the 25th then?

My Federal return was deposited this morning, so everyone with a Feb.6th refund date check your bank account...IRS is on the ball this year, got my state return last week too...:pimp: fastest I've ever gotten my returns & I always file early...

So what's the usual timetable btwn Accepted and approval? Mine was approved for both state and fed almost instantly per TurboTax.

Fed shows it was received and it'd be 21 days from my filing date, which was the 4th...so before the 25th then?
Type In google Order IRS transcripts, and try to order your account trasnscripts, if it goes through you been approved. If you do the online order it will show you a code and date. Report those back here and i can tell you when you will get yours.

Wheres my refund website is slow and behind. it wont do a big update again until next morning

Type In google Order IRS transcripts, and try to order your account trasnscripts, if it goes through you been approved. If you do the online order it will show you a code and date. Report those back here and i can tell you when you will get yours.

Wheres my refund website is slow and behind. it wont do a big update again until next morning

Online gave me an error and mail wouldn't let me.

was able to look at transcripts and return transcripts yesterday now i keep getting an error code
wmr updated to getting it back on the 11th but i still wanna check the transcripts to make sure

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom