USPS or UPS, which do you prefer for shipping shoes and why?

USPS, never had a problem.

Also they usually come when I'm home, UPS always comes around when I'm @ work.

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Originally Posted by Rapido27

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

USPS...wanna know a trick?
I've done the thing where when you get money in PayPal it lets you print out a shipping label. Well you put in the box size and weight and I just put like a really low amount and it costs only a few bucks.
Used to do it a lot but haven't sent shoes in a while. Kinda shady but whatever.....it's a recession..?

This sometimes does and doesn't work. Some post offices will measure the box even if it has prepaid postage on it, however some don't. So see which post offices do/don't check the dimensions, if you want to use this method.

Damn forgot to mention I did the home pickup, where you set it out and they pick it up for you. (Weren't really expensive shoes). So she just picked it up when I was out and about and sends it off, not sure if they weigh it or not but it always worked and was at the only post office in my city.

naw one time i thought i could be slick with printing out the labels from paypal and do the home pick up thing and they ended up calling me saying that thepackage weighed more then what the label said by like 1 pound
indifferent.gif
so they made me come all the way to the Post Office to pay like 3 more dollars. i personallyrather someone ship through UPS because the tracking numbers are updated faster but the only thing is the lack of stores in my area

Originally Posted by sloanboy

the seller would say USPS but the receiver would say UPS

^ Yep.

You have to watch "shorting" USPS b/c they'll pass the cost on to the buyer. Bad biz when you consider, 1.) you charge $15 2.) you pay $9thinking you got over and then 3.) the buyer ends up owing money.

A certain bum NTer shiested me like that. Charged $20 for shipping (on eBay), paid $9 and I owed $6 before I could get my shoes. I was
mad.gif

Originally Posted by johngotty

Originally Posted by sloanboy

the seller would say USPS but the receiver would say UPS

^ Yep.

You have to watch "shorting" USPS b/c they'll pass the cost on to the buyer. Bad biz when you consider, 1.) you charge $15 2.) you pay $9 thinking you got over and then 3.) the buyer ends up owing money.

A certain bum NTer shiested me like that. Charged $20 for shipping (on eBay), paid $9 and I owed $6 before I could get my shoes. I was
mad.gif
How does that even happen? Doesn't the seller have to pay the full shipping cost before it's even shipped out?

Originally Posted by jkjordan

I'm in Chicago, to send a pair of shoes to like Cali using priority mail is over $20. How are you guys sending them for like $12-14? Maybe if I ship from Chicago to Indiana or something.
hmm, that is surprising. i live in the midwest as well and can send it to either coast for the $12-14.

just pack in a box a little bigger than the shoe box and don't add extra weight.

Originally Posted by Rapido27

^^True true. I've never done home pick-up before
Originally Posted by warriors510

I got some BMPs off ebay, shipping was $20. He was from Illinois and I was in California, when i got the package the label read $43.90.

I remember when I shipped CDPs out, that +!@ was expensive because of the weight and size of the box.
QFT, when i sold my CDP's i put $25 shipping. its basically been all dudes from CA. after they measure that $%$$ its like $35
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by MJKING23

what if i have a buddy that works at ups? can they ship things cheaper?
I worked for ups this winter and we didn't get any discounts on shipping. Maybe if he works at a ups store though?

Originally Posted by jkjordan

I have always used USPS for shipping out shoes, but it can get pretty expensive especially when you have to ship it across the country. I used to just use the regular boxes you buy at a Staples/Office Max, but since they are bigger then the shoebox, the post office charges more, due to the size. I've tried using smaller boxes from Uline, but it still seems expensive to me to ship shoes out.

I have never used UPS before, so I was wondering what people's experiences were with UPS for shipping out shoes. Are their costs comparable to USPS or more expensive? Do they offer comparable shipping times and tracking numbers like USPS priority mail. Am I the only one with this problem? What do the rest of you do? Appreciate any responses.
I buy the 18x12x10 boxes from Uline and usually ship USPS priority. Those boxes fit with some extra room and they cost like 80 cents a pop. Inever tried UPS before but have had a couple of problems with them just leaving packages at the door and once one was even stolen from them. Though I to havesay, the post offices around me are terribly slow and always have huge lines.

I always ask US sellers to ship by USPS. I hate UPS due to the fact they tax me to death.

Swear to god i hate shipping shoes to Cali.... using UPS it comes up to almost $25... might start using USPS for Cali shipments and all other UPS.

USPS > UPS

They handle your packages much better and generally have less problems while in transit. Also, if need be you can forward a package without paying extra. Cantdo that with UPS. That said UPS's tracking system is more accurate and specific.

Back
Top Bottom