Trying to open Sneaker Exclusive Shops in Cleveland or Columbus

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Not going to front, I didn't read more than 10 replies, but I was just at a store grand opening yesterday and this is what I've figured is a typical model for Houston shops:

When you start, pick one. Shoes or clothing. I've noticed all of the lasting street wear type shops, here, did that. The first one expanded and carries all sorts of stuff, now. But when you open up you kind of have to decide between carrying it all and having a subpar selection or picking one and attracting people with the breadth of the product choice and then diversifying into clothing and accessories and whatever else.

Also, if your selection is kind of mediocre, you might do better in a suburb where the true indi/hipster nazis won't be so critical. Also, suburb kids are typically well behind the trend of the bigger city and will buy stuff that people in the bigger city wouldn't buy anymore.
Right, I pick shoes. I am going to sell clothing, but not a big part. Some t-shirts and hats.

What store grand opening yesterday? what is the name?

I am planing a sneaker store trip before I start my store, maybe I should go that store you mentioned. 

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Not going to front, I didn't read more than 10 replies, but I was just at a store grand opening yesterday and this is what I've figured is a typical model for Houston shops:

When you start, pick one. Shoes or clothing. I've noticed all of the lasting street wear type shops, here, did that. The first one expanded and carries all sorts of stuff, now. But when you open up you kind of have to decide between carrying it all and having a subpar selection or picking one and attracting people with the breadth of the product choice and then diversifying into clothing and accessories and whatever else.

Also, if your selection is kind of mediocre, you might do better in a suburb where the true indi/hipster nazis won't be so critical. Also, suburb kids are typically well behind the trend of the bigger city and will buy stuff that people in the bigger city wouldn't buy anymore.
Right, I pick shoes. I am going to sell clothing, but not a big part. Some t-shirts and hats.

What store grand opening yesterday? what is the name?

I am planing a sneaker store trip before I start my store, maybe I should go that store you mentioned. 

invest in silver & gold with that money. inflation is rising and the dollar is being devauled so it's really not a good idea to open a sneaker spot in a place already struggling.

invest in silver & gold with that money. inflation is rising and the dollar is being devauled so it's really not a good idea to open a sneaker spot in a place already struggling.

Originally Posted by shogun

like others mentioned, isn't it difficult to get nike accounts for the more limited / hard to find sneakers?
if you carry mostly general releases, people will just wait for the chains like footlocker / finishline to have sales and buy from them.

Right

Hard

Even, for those great sneaker stores, like ubiq, nice kicks, most of time they are selling general releases, limited editions are just 1 hour business

Originally Posted by shogun

like others mentioned, isn't it difficult to get nike accounts for the more limited / hard to find sneakers?
if you carry mostly general releases, people will just wait for the chains like footlocker / finishline to have sales and buy from them.

Right

Hard

Even, for those great sneaker stores, like ubiq, nice kicks, most of time they are selling general releases, limited editions are just 1 hour business

^ Reserve Supply Company is the name of the new shop in Houston. It's in the same location that A-front used... and tanked at. However, I've heard that A-front failed because the owner or whatever liked his Lone Star beer sponsorship more than selling product and didn't promote whatsoever. People didn't even know the place shut down...
30t6p3b.gif

This new place is virtually the same thing: vintage furniture/appliances as fixtures, really vintaged look to the store, so-so selection of clothes and shoes, motorcycle accessories (cool helmets, gloves, goggles, etc.), skate board stuff, etc. I see the lane they're going with it, and I hope it works out--it's a niche customer that I'm not particularly a part of, but one that could be viable so long as you reach them well.

I don't live anywhere near Cleveland, but we have a few seemingly successful independent sneaker/streetwear stores here, in Houston, that could be good models of what to consider when opening a shop.

^ Reserve Supply Company is the name of the new shop in Houston. It's in the same location that A-front used... and tanked at. However, I've heard that A-front failed because the owner or whatever liked his Lone Star beer sponsorship more than selling product and didn't promote whatsoever. People didn't even know the place shut down...
30t6p3b.gif

This new place is virtually the same thing: vintage furniture/appliances as fixtures, really vintaged look to the store, so-so selection of clothes and shoes, motorcycle accessories (cool helmets, gloves, goggles, etc.), skate board stuff, etc. I see the lane they're going with it, and I hope it works out--it's a niche customer that I'm not particularly a part of, but one that could be viable so long as you reach them well.

I don't live anywhere near Cleveland, but we have a few seemingly successful independent sneaker/streetwear stores here, in Houston, that could be good models of what to consider when opening a shop.

Idk about what u guys are saying with beachwood not having the clientele to my understanding the Next in there is the highest grossing...

Idk about what u guys are saying with beachwood not having the clientele to my understanding the Next in there is the highest grossing...

^ yeah but comparing it to the others NEXT locations its easy to see why. people love the idea of shopping at NEXT for whatever reason not so much the stuff they sell, if that makes sense. so it will be hard to compete with their loyal supporters, at first. NEXT to me is like what walmart is to other stores

i think that sushi rock area would be good as well, it would be a good look and a different look for that particular plaza.

^ yeah but comparing it to the others NEXT locations its easy to see why. people love the idea of shopping at NEXT for whatever reason not so much the stuff they sell, if that makes sense. so it will be hard to compete with their loyal supporters, at first. NEXT to me is like what walmart is to other stores

i think that sushi rock area would be good as well, it would be a good look and a different look for that particular plaza.

what about open a store at Columbus? at N High streeat close to OSU? or Polaris Town Center?
thanks

what about open a store at Columbus? at N High streeat close to OSU? or Polaris Town Center?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom