True or False: Derek Jeter can catch Pete Rose....

It's an almost impossible record to break... You have to come into the majors between 18-20 years old and hit an average of 202.7 hits for 21 seasons straight...
thats ridic. how many seasons Rose play?

Jeter took too long to break in the majors to get the record. He was 22 before his first full season. In order to get the record you're gonna have to be 19-20 when you start. Unless you can bat .370 + for a few seasons.

As much as I'd love to see that, not a chance.

He'll have to continue his production well into his 40s without injury as well as want to keep playing. It would be hard enough to just break the record, but there's no saying he wants to play til he's 43/44.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

It's an almost impossible record to break... You have to come into the majors between 18-20 years old and hit an average of 202.7 hits for 21 seasons straight...
thats ridic. how many seasons Rose play?

24 years....    194.7 hits every 162 game average..

Came in at 22  left at 45.... .303 career hitter...

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

He can barley field his position now, you guys gonna DH him at 42 lol?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yea right...

I would have loved to see Ichiro play in the States from a young age, I think he would have been the only one to have a legit shot at 4,000.

laugh.gif
People still defend Jeter's glove? Ugh.

Anyways... On this, 0% chance. 200+ hits a year for another 6 years? Yeah right.

im not a yankees fan but i would love to see jeter do it because i think hes the ultimate professional......its going to be tough to break the record...he will need another 6 years of 200 hit seasons....thats going to be tough...but as long as they keep winning rings i think he will play that long...its just a matter of will he produce in that span...i say he falls short

i've been saying this record will be jeter's for years and i aint changing now. he will break this, he'll get close enough that he wont want to retire and not break it. he'll wind up dh'n or playing 1b for the yanks if thats what it takes. trust he'll do it .....

If he plays until he's 40 and keeps at least a .300 batting avg, he'll get it.

He's a career .315 hitter guys...seriously.

If he plays until he's 40 and keeps at least a .300 batting avg, he'll get it.
Oh, so he's gonna shatter the single-season hits record in each of the next 4 seasons?

Even if you're including the season he turns 41, he needs to come close to or break Ichiro's record in each of the next 5 seasons.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JD617

Even if you're including the season he turns 41, he needs to come close to or break Ichiro's record in each of the next 5 seasons.
laugh.gif

*looks at avy.

Oh okay.

Bottom line is, it's is a possibility. He's Derek Jeter.

I'm a Red Sox fan, so that makes the numbers that I'm throwing out irrelevant?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

^what "numbers" exactly?

I'll break it down for you, since you obviously didn't do that before making your posts on this page.

Single-season record for hits in a season: 262.

Jeter's career high for hits in a season: 219.

Jeter has 126 hits so far this season, and we're about two thirds of the way through. Let's say he ends up with 200 hits this season, which is probably a little generous. That puts him at 2947 for his career, 1309 short of Rose.

Then you said he'd break the record if he plays until he's 40, aka through the 2014 season. 1309/4 = 328 hits per season.
roll.gif

Then I pointed out how dumb that was, so you changed your answer to 5 seasons. 1309/5 = 262 hits per season, which means you think he's gonna AVERAGE the MLB record for hits in a season for the next 5 years.

Then I pointed out how dumb that was too, and your only response was this stan-like comment:

Bottom line is, it's is a possibility. He's Derek Jeter.
So I mean... can't argue with that, because you're not living in reality.

Back
Top Bottom