To Lease of Finance?? Vol. Car shopping blows

Originally Posted by SoLeCiTy

Well guys I just decided to finance at the moment, the leasing option didn't sound good to me when I was presented with it. I just grabbed an 08 honda civic coupe EX for 15,800. Only had 15k on it. Thanks everyone for the pros, cons and opinions

What loan % did you qualify for?

So i'm looking to get a 2010 dodge challenger later this year... should i lease or buy?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by chris nosnah

Originally Posted by Vancity74

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorg3

so after 3 years you're down 20,000 with nothing to show for it. what are the benefits of leasing car?

Originally Posted by HOLLAKID619

$20,000 into a car that you have yo just give back after 30 months? I'd rather finance any day. For that same 20K you can OWN a car that you can actually modify, drive when/where you want, and possible sell or give away to you children. Finance > Lease

What were your guys' SAT scores? I'm guessing under 800? Ya'll are too dumb, I can't even believe I'm responding.

The whole point of a lease is to pay for the depreciation of a vehicle. I spent $20,000 on depreciation. Next year, when I have to hand the keys over, odds are the car is going to be worth under $20,000. So I paid $20,000 for $25,000 worth of depreciation. Not to mention that this $20,000 is AFTER interest.

Say for example I was to finance the car for 60 months @ 5%, my payment would be $850/month. Multiply this by 60 (the number of payments I would have to make), and suddenly the $45,000 car ends up costing me $51,000. Not to mention, in 5 years, the car is barely going to be worth $10,000. So congratulations, you ended up paying $51,000 for a car that's worth $10,000. I'm definitely more comfortable paying the $20,000 than *LOSING* over $40,000.

Does this make sense to you guys, or do I need Lil Wayne to rap this to you?

edit: And lets not even get started on the fact that my lease is 100% tax deductible, essentially costing me nothing.

This is the truth i can see where he is coming from. Financing sucks, Cars dont keep their value for nothing . Remember when you finance you have to worry about: Maintenances, Interest on your loan, Depreciation, Then when you do want a new car you have to worry about selling it and you will end up losing money there also. You can pay a little more and have the latest greatest model and not have to worry about all those things. So when it come down to both you LOSE MORE MONEY FINANCING!
Which is exactly why I will never lease OR finance a car. I'm perfectly fine getting a car that's a couple years old and letting someother sucker eat the depreciation on it while I pay cash for it and get to use it for a couple years and then sell it at a minimal loss rather than paying overface value with interest for a car that's only going to depreciate beyond what the loan was worth when I drove it off the lot.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Originally Posted by derventa

damnneardeadstock wrote:

i would buy, i don't like the thought of having something that isn't actually "mine"

^Well obviously thats not an option to him sunshine
Unknowingly, it actually is. Leasing is your WORST option. If you run the actual numbers, leasing will actually run you the original price of the car, if not a little more and you will give it back after the lease period ends. Your best bet it to get a junker that you can actually pay for yourself. Then you won't have a monthly payment and you can save for a car that you really want, not just one you can "afford to pay for monthly".

What numbers are you running? No numbers were even given. You have no idea about the down-payment, residual, interest rate, term of the lease, mileage allowance... NOTHING. So how exactly are you running the numbers? Get out of here with this garbage man. There's a reason why over 50% of new BMWs on the road are leased - they offer GREAT leases. And there's a reason why under 5% of new Porsches on the road are leased - their leases are HORRIBLE.

When I got my M3, it was a $45,000 car. I put down $5,000 and agreed to pay $500 a month over 30 months. I'm paying a total of $20,000 before tax, yet according to your logic, this is more than the original price of the car?

Get out of here with this garbage man. This is one of the reasons I don't spend too much time on NT anymore - too many morons who clearly don't know ANYTHING.
What's your insurance like? just curious?

Originally Posted by SoLeCiTy

So today my car broke down again and this time for good. 94 Chrysler LHS had it for 4 years strong but it was time to let go. Im in desperate need of a new car for I need to get to work, so my options are finance a used car under 10,000 or lease a new one... any suggestions?

BTW my choices are Toyota Camry or Solara, Nissan Altima, or Honda Accord or Civic

What do you mean broke down for good? Like what exactly happend to end it...and where is it now? And consider previous gen Maximas on that list.

Edit: By the way...don't lease. I am a Finance major. One of the first things we learned in our Financial Planning classes. It's for the people whowant to flash a fancy car, but are not smart enough to look at the real picture.

so after 3 years you're down 20,000 with nothing to show for it. what are the benefits of leasing car?

You drive new cars every 3 years that you probably could not afford to buy every 3 years.

Some people like being in the latest and greatest.

Originally Posted by TheRav4

Edit: By the way...don't lease. I am a Finance major. One of the first things we learned in our Financial Planning classes. It's for the people who want to flash a fancy car, but are not smart enough to look at the real picture.

Where did you get your degree? University of Phoenix?

Vancity74

You are a pretentious little guy. You strike me as a "big !@**, little bowl" guy. Sure, your M3 with 45k miles is a great car, butseriously grow up. I've been around the wealthiest people in America my whole life and they don't need to shoot people down and try to showsuperiority...one day you'll get there big guy. For now relax

Originally Posted by Vince Dirty

Vancity74
You are a pretentious little guy. You strike me as a "big !@**, little bowl" guy. Sure, your M3 with 45k miles is a great car, but seriously grow up. I've been around the wealthiest people in America my whole life and they don't need to shoot people down and try to show superiority...one day you'll get there big guy. For now relax

I guess when you buy a M3 it comes with Instant Douche Mix (Just add water)

Originally Posted by TheRav4

Edit: By the way...don't lease. I am a Finance major. One of the first things we learned in our Financial Planning classes. It's for the people who want to flash a fancy car, but are not smart enough to look at the real picture.

Where did you get your degree? University of Phoenix?
hahahahaha... as much hate as Vancity is getting I gotta agree with him on a lot of stuff (but the pretentiousness is just going to rub people thewrong way).

Mind you its only 9AM on the west coast but this is the dumbest thing I've heard/read all day. Vancity has already pointed out some of the benefits ofleasing which many of you have just decided to ignore, but that's your choice to do so.

Admittedly I am a little biased because I underwrite leases for a living. Although I don't do auto leases (I specialize in commercial equipment leases)conceptually it is the same. There are pro's and con's to both leasing and finance. For those of you who don't want to fully explore thebenefits/drawbacks associated with both leasing and financing a vehicle here is my general advice.

If you are in the market for a tank of a car that holds value well, is very reliable, and will run for years (ie. Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, etc...) FINANCEthat thing and drive it for the next 15+ years and eventually hand it down to your kid or something.

If you are in the market for a car that devalues faster than currency in Zimbabwe (ie. 7 series BMW, Chevy Impala [example given by an NTer], etc...) thenLEASE. If you finance you will often find yourself underwater, and owing more than the car is currently worth.

Question for VANCITY

You mentioned that you are in Canada. I am still getting up to speed on Leases in Canada (PPSA FTL, and oh yea.... whats up with the effed up taxation systemwith GST paid upfront and then collected 3 months later with the quarterly tax return?), so hopefully you can shed some light. You mentioned that the fulllease payment is tax deductible? Is this because you use the M3 for business and you are deducting the lease payment as a business expense, or does Canada taxlaw allow you to take personal tax deductions on leases?

lease if your going to lease finance if your going to finance..i see both arguments, having a current model every 3-4 yrs or having the freedom ownership comeswith are both alluring...it all depends on ones financial situation...just DO NOT lease with the option to buy and decided to finance it at the end of thelease....dumbest move to make...youll be paying way over retiail for that car wether its a scion xa or a zonda.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Question for VANCITY

You mentioned that you are in Canada. I am still getting up to speed on Leases in Canada (PPSA FTL, and oh yea.... whats up with the effed up taxation system with GST paid upfront and then collected 3 months later with the quarterly tax return?), so hopefully you can shed some light. You mentioned that the full lease payment is tax deductible? Is this because you use the M3 for business and you are deducting the lease payment as a business expense, or does Canada tax law allow you to take personal tax deductions on leases?

In Canada, you can deduct a lease up to $800/month. Luckily I was in an industry that was never audited, so I was able to write off 95% of the lease (I wasearning commission).

Question for VANCITY

You mentioned that you are in Canada. I am still getting up to speed on Leases in Canada (PPSA FTL, and oh yea.... whats up with the effed up taxation system with GST paid upfront and then collected 3 months later with the quarterly tax return?), so hopefully you can shed some light. You mentioned that the full lease payment is tax deductible? Is this because you use the M3 for business and you are deducting the lease payment as a business expense, or does Canada tax law allow you to take personal tax deductions on leases?

In Canada, you can deduct a lease up to $800/month. Luckily I was in an industry that was never audited, so I was able to write off 95% of the lease (I was earning commission).

I always thought financing was the way to go but if you can lease a vehicle and right it off on taxs that sounds alot better to me ... Can anybody explain howthis can work for somebody who lives in the US?

Originally Posted by Prowler 23

Question for VANCITY

In Canada, you can deduct a lease up to $800/month. Luckily I was in an industry that was never audited, so I was able to write off 95% of the lease (I was earning commission).

I always thought financing was the way to go but if you can lease a vehicle and right it off on taxs that sounds alot better to me ... Can anybody explain how this can work for somebody who lives in the US?

As far as I know (please correct me if I am wrong anyone)

In the US, you can write-off the entire lease payment as a business expense if the leased asset is for business use. If you financed the equipment, you wouldonly be able to write-off the principal paid. I dont work with consumer leases only commercial leases, so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you canwrite it off for your personal use. Now if you are a pizza delivery boy or something like that, and your car is used specifically for your work, you might beable to. Probably best to talk to your tax advisor/accountant about it.

when you lease a car, luxury or not, you pay more than how much it depreciates in the end. why in the world would a dealer purposely take a loss if that wasnot the case? the dealer is better off selling the car, no?

so after your lease is up, what do you do next? take up another lease and then another? your better off buying used and then saving the rest. leases were madefor people who want to live beyond their means

I don't know all the ins/outs of leasing....but paying so much money for something that you will have 0 to show for in 3 years is :/ to me, unless you gota lot of money

when you lease a car, luxury or not, you pay more than how much it depreciates in the end. why in the world would a dealer purposely take a loss if that was not the case? the dealer is better off selling the car, no?

so after your lease is up, what do you do next? take up another lease and then another? your better off buying used and then saving the rest. leases were made for people who want to live beyond their means

That is not true. In my business environment, I encounter plenty of people who loves cars and these people who only settle for the top or the line or nothing.I can assure you, none of these guys finances a car over $100k. I highly doubt they are living beyond their means as they could very well buy these vehicleslike it is change in their pockets but they don't.

I just read the last page of this thread but there is definitely a place for leased cars out there and it is becoming more and more popular.

One major reason to lease for the people I spoke to does it so that they do not have to worry about selling or trading off their vehicles in a couple of years.These people also hate having the same cars for more than 2 years so that is why they lease. They found that it is so much of a hassle getting rid of a car andthat they actually lose money on it just to get rid of it, that they lease.

One example of a none-baller friend of mine. He leased a 328i because he figured in 3 years, he would get married and he would opt for a family car so he foundit useless to finance a vehicle. He leased not just for convenience but also to save some money as leasing for him is cheaper.

when you lease a car, luxury or not, you pay more than how much it depreciates in the end. why in the world would a dealer purposely take a loss if that was not the case? the dealer is better off selling the car, no?

so after your lease is up, what do you do next? take up another lease and then another? your better off buying used and then saving the rest. leases were made for people who want to live beyond their means

Quick question - how do car dealers make money (excluding service)?

Your whole post is 100% wrong

please explain matthew

laugh.gif
Ill try without taking up too much time...

I look at it like this, It basically depends on the type of person you are... Me, I personally dont wanna drive the same car for 5 years.... I might lease acar, see something new that catches my eye 3 years down the line and want that....Why would I want to finance for 5-6 years, then have to worry about finding abuyer or getting raped trading it in for credit towards the new car that I want...

Other people are different, but thats how I think...And trust me, leasing has nothing to do with people trying to live beyone their means.... Wayyyyyyyy morepeople %%@* their credit up on financing than leasing..

ok, I see your point. The second part of what I said could be subjective depending on the individual but you didnt address the first part. I still dont see whya car dealer would knowingly take a loss on depreciation if leasing was actually better for the lessee vs leaser

Back
Top Bottom