Timofey Mozgov explains how shoe contracts work

im not you

Banned
I thought this was interesting. 
[h2]
[h2]Timofey Mozgov explains how shoe contracts work[/h2]
http://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: left; background-position: 0px -48px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">April 14, 2011/s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/pub/inove/img/icons.gif);">http://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: left; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Alexander Chernykhhttp://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: right; background-position: 0px -112px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Leave a commenthttp://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: right; background-position: 0px -96px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Go to comments

Hey guys, sorry for the pause – I missed a few posts by Timofey, but he still blogs of course. This one was originally published in Russian at Sports.ru on April 12th. 

Hi! Here’s what I’m going to tell you about today. As you know, everybody who loves basketball has to make one very difficult choice sooner or later. Though for some people this dilemma is not that complicated. But anyway, one has to make the choice. And every NBA rookie has to make a decision on a mandatory basis right in the very beginning of his career. Sportswear manufacturers offer a personal contract to absolutely every rookie. I have one too, with Nike. I’m talking about choosing the shoes…

I wanted to tell you about it back in New York, but somehow I never got around to it)) Sorry, I’m making up for it now. So…

It may seem strange to Europeans, but here in the League, all the players, even those who are just starting, have a personal relationship with sportswear manufacturers. No matter how much stardom a player has, the companies consider it their professional duty to make it so that “even that new guy
[/h2]

I thought this was interesting. 
[h2]
[h2]Timofey Mozgov explains how shoe contracts work[/h2]
http://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: left; background-position: 0px -48px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">April 14, 2011/s2.wp.com/wp-content/themes/pub/inove/img/icons.gif);">http://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: left; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Alexander Chernykhhttp://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: right; background-position: 0px -112px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Leave a commenthttp://s2.wp.com/wp-conte...ub/inove/img/icons.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; height: 16px; line-height: 16px; display: block; font-size: 11px; float: right; background-position: 0px -96px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Go to comments

Hey guys, sorry for the pause – I missed a few posts by Timofey, but he still blogs of course. This one was originally published in Russian at Sports.ru on April 12th. 

Hi! Here’s what I’m going to tell you about today. As you know, everybody who loves basketball has to make one very difficult choice sooner or later. Though for some people this dilemma is not that complicated. But anyway, one has to make the choice. And every NBA rookie has to make a decision on a mandatory basis right in the very beginning of his career. Sportswear manufacturers offer a personal contract to absolutely every rookie. I have one too, with Nike. I’m talking about choosing the shoes…

I wanted to tell you about it back in New York, but somehow I never got around to it)) Sorry, I’m making up for it now. So…

It may seem strange to Europeans, but here in the League, all the players, even those who are just starting, have a personal relationship with sportswear manufacturers. No matter how much stardom a player has, the companies consider it their professional duty to make it so that “even that new guy
[/h2]

interesting. rarely do pro's talk about their equipment contracts and Timo kept it real

interesting. rarely do pro's talk about their equipment contracts and Timo kept it real

Great article, I had no idea that EVERY player gets signed. I figured the bum role player guys just got an allowance from the league and bought their own shoes. But if that's true what in the blue hell was Gilbert Arenas doing this season
laugh.gif
, he wore whatever he wanted all year long

I assume Nike athletes are permitted to wear Jordan brand shoes as an exception (ie. JR Smith wearing cool greys)

Great article, I had no idea that EVERY player gets signed. I figured the bum role player guys just got an allowance from the league and bought their own shoes. But if that's true what in the blue hell was Gilbert Arenas doing this season
laugh.gif

I assume Nike athletes are permitted to wear Jordan brand shoes as an exception (ie. JR Smith wearing cool greys)

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy SwAg

laugh.gif

Why would the League give them an allowance?

laugh.gif

I'm guessing you can wear whatever you want when you're terminated from a contract or it expires (like Kobe back in 02-03). I didn't know that EVERY rookie was offered a deal tho.

I'm guessing you can wear whatever you want when you're terminated from a contract or it expires (like Kobe back in 02-03). I didn't know that EVERY rookie was offered a deal tho.

i spoke to a few guys before and asked them about shoe deals. They were both rocking nikes casually but they said they were trying to go with whoever gave them the most money, mentioned and1 and adidas.

i spoke to a few guys before and asked them about shoe deals. They were both rocking nikes casually but they said they were trying to go with whoever gave them the most money, mentioned and1 and adidas.

Originally Posted by IamMD

laugh.gif

I just figured because of all their uniform rules that they'd give their players who aren't signed to a shoe company money to buy what they want as long as it met their standards

laugh.gif

I just figured because of all their uniform rules that they'd give their players who aren't signed to a shoe company money to buy what they want as long as it met their standards

Some more insight from a coach at Chicago St.
[h1]My Mom Always Told Me I Was Special; But She Never Said I’d End Up Being Elite[/h1]
Posted on February 26, 2011 by Coach Raidbard

Every year sports fan read about the hottest athletes, and the enormous endorsement deals that they receive from various companies – the most notable being Nike. The stable of athletes that Nike currently has under contact includes most of the biggest names in professional sports such as LeBron James, Derek Jeter and Tiger Woods. However what most casual sports fans don’t realize is that the Nike family covers a much broader portion of the sports landscape then simply endorsing superstars.

What most people don’t realize is the true vastness of Nike’s sponsorship of people involved in sports. Pretty much all athletes who don’t have a formal sponsorship deal are brought underneath the Nike umbrella and given a monthly stipend that they can use to purchase Nike apparel. In return for their Nike allowance the athletes are beholden to only wear Nike (or one of their affiliates’) merchandise.

By choosing to do business this way Nike is literally flooding the market with their clothing, gear and shoes so that even though the name’s of the athletes that are wearing their merchandise may not draw much attention the sheer volume of visible swooshes will. Before taking my current job at Chicago State I was familiar with this practice, however it wasn’t until this season that I realized just how many people affiliated with sports are paid by Nike to exclusively wear their merchandise.

Since this is our head coach’s first year at Chicago State, and the school didn’t have an existing contract with any of the major sports apparel companies, he decided to make some calls and see who offered us the best opportunity. After negotiating with representatives from Nike, Adidas and Under Armour we decided to sign a multi-year contract with Nike. Under the parameters of our agreement Chicago State Men’s Basketball became contractually obligated to wear only Nike brand shoes and apparel, while at the same time the Men’s Basketball program would receive a substantial discount on all merchandise as well as free Nike gear.

This process and it’s benefits were nothing new to me since when I was at Dartmouth we had a similarly structured deal with New Balance; however there was an additional aspect of our Nike contract that I wasn’t familiar with. This new aspect, or perk really, was that the Men’s Basketball coaching staff would receive a yearly stipend on the same Nike Elite website that all of the major athletes use to purchase their Nike merchandise.

Even tough my $1,000 yearly stipend is a far cry from LeBron James or Tiger Woods’ $100 million deals it has been a really fun and exciting bonus. During the few weeks that it took for my Nike Elite account to get set up my friend Jeff tried every Internet search he could possibly think of in order to gain access to and learn about the site; however his efforts yielded nothing. It was almost like the website was on lock down in order to maintain its’ aura of exclusivity, and it wasn’t until my account was set up, and I added Jeff as an authorized user, that he was finally able to unlock the secrets of Nike Elite.

Since receiving my $1,000 back in early October Jeff and I have meticulously combed the site for items to buy, and have been very judicious in the selection process. The first item we purchased off the site for ourselves were black Kobe Henleys, and since then we have ordered custom t-shirts, long-sleeve Dri-Fit shirts and, most recently, Jordan Brand polos that look most similar to Ralph Lauren polos except the Jordan logo is embroidered where the polo player and horse would be. Our Jordan polos actually arrived yesterday morning as I was walking out the door to go to work, and I promised Jeff that we would try them on together the next time we hung out.

Additionally on the site I have purchased yoga pants for my mom and sister, but still have a little over $600 left to spend before the fiscal year ends on June 30[sup]th[/sup]. Since the money doesn’t roll over, and you can’t use another form of payment if you go over to supplement your Nike Elite money, Jeff and I will have to make sure that we manipulate the funds just right so as to maximize my Nike allowance. Periodically new items are added to the site, and the latest lines of shoes, clothing and gear will be released in the spring for us to excitedly sift through.

I honestly have no idea what we will spend the rest of my money on, or when we’ll order something next; however I do know that I’m going to milk my Nike Elite account for as long as I can because in plain and simple terms it’s cool as hell! Being on Nike Elite and receiving money from Nike to buy their merchandise has been really excited and a unique experience I never thought I would have. So, in the end, I guess I proved all you haters out there wrong who said that a white Jewish boy like me would never get a Nike deal cause not only am I endorsed by Nike, but baby… I’m Elite.

Some more insight from a coach at Chicago St.
[h1]My Mom Always Told Me I Was Special; But She Never Said I’d End Up Being Elite[/h1]
Posted on February 26, 2011 by Coach Raidbard

Every year sports fan read about the hottest athletes, and the enormous endorsement deals that they receive from various companies – the most notable being Nike. The stable of athletes that Nike currently has under contact includes most of the biggest names in professional sports such as LeBron James, Derek Jeter and Tiger Woods. However what most casual sports fans don’t realize is that the Nike family covers a much broader portion of the sports landscape then simply endorsing superstars.

What most people don’t realize is the true vastness of Nike’s sponsorship of people involved in sports. Pretty much all athletes who don’t have a formal sponsorship deal are brought underneath the Nike umbrella and given a monthly stipend that they can use to purchase Nike apparel. In return for their Nike allowance the athletes are beholden to only wear Nike (or one of their affiliates’) merchandise.

By choosing to do business this way Nike is literally flooding the market with their clothing, gear and shoes so that even though the name’s of the athletes that are wearing their merchandise may not draw much attention the sheer volume of visible swooshes will. Before taking my current job at Chicago State I was familiar with this practice, however it wasn’t until this season that I realized just how many people affiliated with sports are paid by Nike to exclusively wear their merchandise.

Since this is our head coach’s first year at Chicago State, and the school didn’t have an existing contract with any of the major sports apparel companies, he decided to make some calls and see who offered us the best opportunity. After negotiating with representatives from Nike, Adidas and Under Armour we decided to sign a multi-year contract with Nike. Under the parameters of our agreement Chicago State Men’s Basketball became contractually obligated to wear only Nike brand shoes and apparel, while at the same time the Men’s Basketball program would receive a substantial discount on all merchandise as well as free Nike gear.

This process and it’s benefits were nothing new to me since when I was at Dartmouth we had a similarly structured deal with New Balance; however there was an additional aspect of our Nike contract that I wasn’t familiar with. This new aspect, or perk really, was that the Men’s Basketball coaching staff would receive a yearly stipend on the same Nike Elite website that all of the major athletes use to purchase their Nike merchandise.

Even tough my $1,000 yearly stipend is a far cry from LeBron James or Tiger Woods’ $100 million deals it has been a really fun and exciting bonus. During the few weeks that it took for my Nike Elite account to get set up my friend Jeff tried every Internet search he could possibly think of in order to gain access to and learn about the site; however his efforts yielded nothing. It was almost like the website was on lock down in order to maintain its’ aura of exclusivity, and it wasn’t until my account was set up, and I added Jeff as an authorized user, that he was finally able to unlock the secrets of Nike Elite.

Since receiving my $1,000 back in early October Jeff and I have meticulously combed the site for items to buy, and have been very judicious in the selection process. The first item we purchased off the site for ourselves were black Kobe Henleys, and since then we have ordered custom t-shirts, long-sleeve Dri-Fit shirts and, most recently, Jordan Brand polos that look most similar to Ralph Lauren polos except the Jordan logo is embroidered where the polo player and horse would be. Our Jordan polos actually arrived yesterday morning as I was walking out the door to go to work, and I promised Jeff that we would try them on together the next time we hung out.

Additionally on the site I have purchased yoga pants for my mom and sister, but still have a little over $600 left to spend before the fiscal year ends on June 30[sup]th[/sup]. Since the money doesn’t roll over, and you can’t use another form of payment if you go over to supplement your Nike Elite money, Jeff and I will have to make sure that we manipulate the funds just right so as to maximize my Nike allowance. Periodically new items are added to the site, and the latest lines of shoes, clothing and gear will be released in the spring for us to excitedly sift through.

I honestly have no idea what we will spend the rest of my money on, or when we’ll order something next; however I do know that I’m going to milk my Nike Elite account for as long as I can because in plain and simple terms it’s cool as hell! Being on Nike Elite and receiving money from Nike to buy their merchandise has been really excited and a unique experience I never thought I would have. So, in the end, I guess I proved all you haters out there wrong who said that a white Jewish boy like me would never get a Nike deal cause not only am I endorsed by Nike, but baby… I’m Elite.

laugh.gif

True.  I dress business casual to work, i wish my company gave me an allowance to cop gear. lol Does yours?

laugh.gif

True.  I dress business casual to work, i wish my company gave me an allowance to cop gear. lol Does yours?

Man who you tellin, all my company gives me is free train fare

Back
Top Bottom