This Frank Ocean still goes hard.....*Official Thread*

The retail was supposed to be called "Nostalgia, Lite." Figured they'd be taking out the tracks with copyrighted material and re-packaging it for retail with a few bonus tracks.

Originally Posted by LeClutchJames

Yeah, it was a mixtape. Suit is stupid
So because it's on a mixtape it's ok to blatently rip off someone else's song withouth changing a thing except the words?  If I was the eagle's I would hit homie with the warning (which they did) and if he continued to do it, then I'd sue.  Pretty fair way to handle the situation IMO.  Sampling is cool.  Straight ripping off is not.  Especially when you're a talented dude like Frank Ocean.  No need for that.

So because it's on a mixtape it's ok to blatently rip off someone else's song withouth changing a thing except the words?  If I was the eagle's I would hit homie with the warning (which they did) and if he continued to do it, then I'd sue.  Pretty fair way to handle the situation IMO.  Sampling is cool.  Straight ripping off is not.  Especially when you're a talented dude like Frank Ocean.  No need for that.

Straight ripping off? It was a pretty good change of words. I understand they are mad but it's not like the song is for sale or anything

They just seem real bitter and thirsty

Straight ripping off? It was a pretty good change of words. I understand they are mad but it's not like the song is for sale or anything

They just seem real bitter and thirsty

yall are wylin, this is done on every mixtape damn near

and the song does use the beat but he made a entirely different song out of it

do yall know who lil wayne is, have yall heard any of his mixtapes?

Originally Posted by Heshua

is it a blatant rip off tho? i think its paying homage to a great song by covering it on a free mixtape..is this any different than people doing karaoke or street performers covering songs on sidewalks??

is it a blatant rip off tho? i think its paying homage to a great song by covering it on a free mixtape..is this any different than people doing karaoke or street performers covering songs on sidewalks??

Originally Posted by vandal044

Same exact instrumental and same melody.  Yes, yes it is a blatant rip off.  Street performers and karaoke people sing the same song as the original, they dont record different words and perform it at shows.  Not the same to me.  I'm not saying I'm correct and you/anyone else is wrong, I'm just saying in my opinion The Eagles are right about this.

Same exact instrumental and same melody.  Yes, yes it is a blatant rip off.  Street performers and karaoke people sing the same song as the original, they dont record different words and perform it at shows.  Not the same to me.  I'm not saying I'm correct and you/anyone else is wrong, I'm just saying in my opinion The Eagles are right about this.

I'm aware of mixtapes and all the beat-jacking/flows/freestyles, whatever you want to call it. Personally I don't have a problem with any of that, but it's a big reason I never got into Frank's material. I enjoyed all the original versions of the songs he "sampled" more than his versions. I personally hate most mixtapes and non-original material. Sorry to go off on a tangent but that's just my opinion. Anyways, the Eagles and co. probably don't see any of this from most of our perspectives and I'm sure it'll get properly resolved. You really think the Eagles are hip to the unwritten rules or urban mixtapes?

Watch a documentary called "Copyright Criminals." I remember there being something in there that suggest covering songs (word-for word) is fine, but when you make adjustments/alter the lyrics it's legally prohibited and no longer a "cover." So yes, in a way, it's different.

I'm aware of mixtapes and all the beat-jacking/flows/freestyles, whatever you want to call it. Personally I don't have a problem with any of that, but it's a big reason I never got into Frank's material. I enjoyed all the original versions of the songs he "sampled" more than his versions. I personally hate most mixtapes and non-original material. Sorry to go off on a tangent but that's just my opinion. Anyways, the Eagles and co. probably don't see any of this from most of our perspectives and I'm sure it'll get properly resolved. You really think the Eagles are hip to the unwritten rules or urban mixtapes?

Watch a documentary called "Copyright Criminals." I remember there being something in there that suggest covering songs (word-for word) is fine, but when you make adjustments/alter the lyrics it's legally prohibited and no longer a "cover." So yes, in a way, it's different.

Originally Posted by All Ready

Not every mixtape receives the attention that this one has, nor does most rappers/singers perform their renditions of their "sampled" songs live at concerts. I never been to a Wayne concert and I could be wrong, but I'm assuming he doesn't perform his freestyles from his Dedication mixtapes. Which brings me to my next point: the Eagles are from a different generation of musicians and like I said in my previous post, I doubt they're familiar with the unwritten rules of mixtapes. It's a lot different when someone like Drake freestyles over another rapper's beat, because it's become part of the culture and most rappers do it. When someone freestyles over an old 1970s rock song, the other party doesn't see it the same way your average rapper does and they will try to protect their music.

Not every mixtape receives the attention that this one has, nor does most rappers/singers perform their renditions of their "sampled" songs live at concerts. I never been to a Wayne concert and I could be wrong, but I'm assuming he doesn't perform his freestyles from his Dedication mixtapes. Which brings me to my next point: the Eagles are from a different generation of musicians and like I said in my previous post, I doubt they're familiar with the unwritten rules of mixtapes. It's a lot different when someone like Drake freestyles over another rapper's beat, because it's become part of the culture and most rappers do it. When someone freestyles over an old 1970s rock song, the other party doesn't see it the same way your average rapper does and they will try to protect their music.

Originally Posted by APH

I can agree with that second point.  They're from a different culture of music and I guess to them, it seems like Frank's trying to "rip them off and make money off it".
Now from my reading, they're moreso upset about him performing it at shows, which is Frank indirectly profiting off the song.

Originally Posted by APH

I can agree with that second point.  They're from a different culture of music and I guess to them, it seems like Frank's trying to "rip them off and make money off it".
Now from my reading, they're moreso upset about him performing it at shows, which is Frank indirectly profiting off the song.

my only point is that people are in here overreacting as if this is the first time someone used another persons beat

"i only listened once, it was too wrong" type of comments

it's really not that serious

i understand the eagles to a certain extent and i also understand that frank more than likely didn't know his mixtape would pick up so much steam

frank will prolly stop performing the song at concert outta respect but i doubt he'll have to give any money up but i could def be wrong

my only point is that people are in here overreacting as if this is the first time someone used another persons beat

"i only listened once, it was too wrong" type of comments

it's really not that serious

i understand the eagles to a certain extent and i also understand that frank more than likely didn't know his mixtape would pick up so much steam

frank will prolly stop performing the song at concert outta respect but i doubt he'll have to give any money up but i could def be wrong

I agree. This has been done by every rapper that dropped mixtapes dating back from yeeeeeears ago. The Eagles are legends of course but I'm pretty damn sure they didn't listen to the whole mixtape. It's not like Frank butchered the beat in a bad way. It kinda sucks cause American Wedding is my fav track from the mixtape. I hope they can come to terms.

I agree. This has been done by every rapper that dropped mixtapes dating back from yeeeeeears ago. The Eagles are legends of course but I'm pretty damn sure they didn't listen to the whole mixtape. It's not like Frank butchered the beat in a bad way. It kinda sucks cause American Wedding is my fav track from the mixtape. I hope they can come to terms.

Originally Posted by APH

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

[h1]
[h1]'Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of 'Hotel California'; he took thewhole master track,' Don Henley's spokesperson tells MTV News.[/h1]
[/h1]
[h2][/h2]He's right... that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. "This isn't a sample, it's the whole, original instrumental." He's a fool for thinking that would fly.
He did the same thing for "Nature Feels" and "Strawberry Swing." He didn't sample crap, just straight-up took MGMT and Coldplay's instrumentals. Those bands (MGMT & Coldplay) usually don't care when people "sample" their material, but people need to be careful when they touch older music. Some of those bands/artists don't play that $@@%.

I knew this could potentially happen, especially if Def Jam tried pulling a fast one and released the retail version of "Nostalgia/Ultra." 

That's the problem with the law, black and white. I feel this is an issue I side with Ocean on morally. 

Originally Posted by APH

Originally Posted by Cheese Wagstaff

[h1]
[h1]'Ocean did not merely 'sample' a portion of 'Hotel California'; he took thewhole master track,' Don Henley's spokesperson tells MTV News.[/h1]
[/h1]
[h2][/h2]He's right... that was the first thing I thought of when I heard it. "This isn't a sample, it's the whole, original instrumental." He's a fool for thinking that would fly.
He did the same thing for "Nature Feels" and "Strawberry Swing." He didn't sample crap, just straight-up took MGMT and Coldplay's instrumentals. Those bands (MGMT & Coldplay) usually don't care when people "sample" their material, but people need to be careful when they touch older music. Some of those bands/artists don't play that $@@%.

I knew this could potentially happen, especially if Def Jam tried pulling a fast one and released the retail version of "Nostalgia/Ultra." 

That's the problem with the law, black and white. I feel this is an issue I side with Ocean on morally. 

Back
Top Bottom