Thinking about Transfering to UCSF. Have a few Questions for people living in SF.

From LA and UCSFs programs are relevant to my interests.

Now Ive heard that San Francisco is a great city and is the only true metropolitan city on the west coast which is also one of the reasons I want to go toUCSF. The main concern I have with it is how AYO!, is it. Now I'm cool with gay people for the most part (voted yes on prop8) and I'm an adult I canhandle myself but Ive also talked to a few people that have lived/visted SF and the majority say people just act over the line openly about their preference.

How is it?

in sf, u can be who u want to be and its accepted. the best place to live, period.

There is more diversity and openness then you are accustomed to, but for me it's never been an issue when I visit. I love it. Go stay for a weekend and seefor yourself. A weekend is all you need.

I feel like the only place you truly experience the gay community is in the Castro. I was at Lime this past weekend and it was definitely a change of scenery;interesting to see firsthand. It's a great opportunity to step out of your comfort zone to experience diversity, it'll only make you all the better.

Originally Posted by kwh3

I feel like the only place you truly experience the gay community is in the Castro. I was at Lime this past weekend and it was definitely a change of scenery; interesting to see firsthand. It's a great opportunity to step out of your comfort zone to experience diversity, it'll only make you all the better.

Bottomless mimosas right? I wanted to have brunch there too.

And I came in her thinking the questions would be about expenses or cost of living but not about the gay scene. It isn't that bad. I mean you have to havea pretty open comfort zone where ever city you live in. I mean I hear in NYC, people's attitudes are mostly rude but if you can accept it, it reallyisn't that big of a deal. Same with the gay thing. I feel like SF and more so Castro is like the mecca of a lot homosexuals, so they should be able toexpress their feelings openly since a lot of that kind of affection is frowned upon. This is their "hood" after all....so you can only just accept itfor what it is and that is it.

But aside from that, SF has so many more pros than cons. Weather is better than a lot of other cities, a lot of different cultures within the 8 mile radius,festivals, concerts, comedy joints, restaurants, bars....the list goes one. And most important, UCSF is a great school to have under your belt....so getting adegree their (regardless of the city) is a smart thing to do.

Originally Posted by dangsdunks

you are transferring? i dont think they have a undergrad program

Just in case you didn't know, USF and UCSF are two different institutions. USF is a private college and UCSF is a graduate school.

haha YEA. i was thinking UCSF? is for grad school.

i went to USF. and i'm from LA. PM me if u want more info on the school.

first off it was NO on 8. if you supported the same sex marriage.

but anyways. The city is a great place to live in. after i graduated i stayed there for another 2 years. in fact, i'm living at home in LA right now, and 6months into it...i kinda want to go back to SF.

the best thing about San Francisco is that you don't need a car...ever. unless u go to south city or something like that. I like how you can go from hometo downtown, shopping, nightlife, etc. etc. in a matter of 30 minutes by bus or 5-10 minutes by car/taxi/bike. just imagine putting all of LA county in 7 x 7miles.

the food is great, super diverse, and if you don't mess with people they won't mess with you. You'll definitely have a greater appreciation forlife if you go there. don't worry about the LGBT community, they're great people, and they don't go crazy or anything...except during festivals,but thats their moment to shine. the LGBT community speak their mind when they aren't heard...in fact every type of community in SF does as well...its justa place to be yourself.

The women there aren't as "LA/Plastic/Ub3r Hot" as they are here in LA, but when you see a dime you'll appreciate the beauty of sf. One thingabout the women in the bay, they got great style be a 1 or a 10. they care about how they look. THAT and they rock J's...no chick in LA rocks J's.

IMO nothing beats a chick rockin Js, sweats and hoops...best thing in the world.

in short. you won't go wrong living in the city. PERIOD. it's called THE CITY for a reason.

Originally Posted by MJ1331L

IMO nothing beats a chick rockin Js, sweats and hoops...best thing in the world.

How I see it, the chicks that actually live in SF don't really have a shoe game. I feel like you described East Bay chicks or other outside areas likeDaily City.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by MJ1331L

How I see it, the chicks that actually live in SF don't really have a shoe game. I feel like you described East Bay chicks or other outside areas like Daily City.

haha thats my style. some of them are freaks...or come with hella drama. haha jp. but yes the ladies in SF dress real nice. stylish and sophisticated. allyear.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about, OP? UCSF is a prestigious medical school. If you wanna do an undergraduate program at a UC close to SF,then you're gonna have to settle for Berkeley.

And, as mentioned, you were supposed to vote NO on Prop 8. I don't think your voting choice would go over too well here.

Back
Top Bottom