There Is No Greatest Rap Album Of All Time...

To me its
1219yxi.jpg

34e99uq.jpg

or

the only thing i dont like about 36 chambers is all the skits in the songs
u gotta fast forward like a 1 minute to get to the actual song
buttt i edited that on itunes

Originally Posted by YardFather

..because there is no way you can convince me either of these albums is better than the other.

Wu-Tang%20Clan%20-%20Enter%20The%20Wu-Tang%20%2836%20Chambers%29.jpg
nas-illmatic.jpg
You're stupid. Really, really stupid. I thought you were being reasonable and that you'd go in the direction of "....because allmusic is subjective and it's up to your personal preference and what you like" but instead, you [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]FAIL[/color]ed. Sorry for calling you stupid.... That's what I get for expecting open mindedness from NT
smh.gif

Originally Posted by JayJay414

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

[h3]There Is No Greatest Rap Album Of All Time...[/h3]...because there is no way you can convince me either of these albums is better than the other it all comes down to personal favorites.

FIXED

Awesome
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

I'm a HUGE Wu-Tang fan, but come on, NOTHING is better than illmatic. 40 minutes of piffery. God knows how any times I've listened to it and it never gets old.

word Illmatic is the truth.
pimp.gif

Honestly IMO Ready to Die > 36 Chambers

and im also a HUGE fan of Moment of Truth by Gang Starr. Dont get NEARLY enough love as it should
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MidEastBeast

I'm a HUGE Wu-Tang fan, but come on, NOTHING is better than illmatic. 40 minutes of piffery. God knows how any times I've listened to it and it never gets old.
I feel you
pimp.gif

i can skip lifes a bitc& from illmatic...
i can prob skip 3 tracks from 36....

lol at ATliens.

albums that can be on repeat ( in my opinion)
2766139963_da59ac53c5.jpg

2298163439_66193969f6.jpg

2298744426_5f164740ff.jpg

and posted cd's from the past 10 years.

illmatic is the greatest hip hop album, ever... along with 36 Chambers, Ready To Die, It Takes A Nation, Straight Outta Compton & AmeriKKKas Most Wanted

Originally Posted by zokid

illmatic is the greatest hip hop album, ever... along with 36 Chambers, Ready To Die, It Takes A Nation, Straight Outta Compton & AmeriKKKas Most Wanted
Huh? How does that work?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Originally Posted by zokid

Huh? How does that work?
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

It's a tie between these 3 for me. This is just my opinion. If I could take 3 albums to the after life with me it would be these.

You guys are so adorable with how seriously you take your opinions. Starting threads like you're saying something profound and whatnot......

I'm going to interupt the Illmatic slurp contest with a an alternate opinion.

First off, I was right there when this album dropped. Buzz was epic. Incredible album. I just think sometimes cats are such fans they can't look at thingsobjectively.

YOU say that no track is "skippable". I say that "One Time 4 Your Mind" and "Represent" are not incredible songs.

There's 10 tracks on Illmatic. An intro. Halftime had been out for over a year and already been on another album (Zebrahead Soundtrack). So that's 8.If you subtract the 2 I just mentioned, that's 6 incredible records on there. 7 including Halftime.

Let's look at Eric B and Rakim "Paid In Full".

I Ain't No Joke
Paid In Full
I Know You Got Soul
Eric B For President
Move The Crowd
My Melody

These records had NY on smash in 88 the same way Nas did in 94. And then the album had some filler tracks.

I can't say that one album is any better than the other. Illmatic is just a progression. But in my opinion, not really any more influential. If you look atthe Top 5 MC lists on AHH.com lately, Rakim taught all these dudes how to rap.

And I wouldn't say either is the GOAT album. PE "It Takes A Nation of Millions...." iI would say is that. But again, it's all opinion.

No album in Hip Hop has had the kind of impact that that album did. I'm not talking about some hot rhymes on hot beats. I'm talking about REAL impact.It is everything Hip Hop is supposed to be. Beats, Rhymes. Social commentary. Not this tough guys +!#* the labels have been brainwashing you with.

Most Hip Hop historians will tell you the same. But again, it's all opinion. Thing is, no one on NT will be able to convince me that their opinion is anymore educated than mine. That they know the history of the music any better.

36 Chambers is amazing. But GOAT album of all time? A bunch of dudes from Staten Island talking some wild +!#*? That's a reach.

If you're a 90's head, you look at Illmatic, The Infamous (another great album, but come on now....), Ready To Die, 36 as the epitome of Hip Hop. Ifyou've been with the music since the 80's, you see Eric + Ra and PE, BDP as that. Again, it's all opinion.

I can't understand why y'all even talk about it so much. Like you're actually going to come up with an answer.......

EDIT: And you can't have a GOAT album conversation with talking Outkast. Damn......I'm better than that.......

I feel you man, 1 Time 4 ya mind is probably the weakest track of Illmatic, I disagree about Represent though.

In terms of impact?
NO album will ever touch PE's joint.
I wish I could hear mainstream music like that again.

I like Paid in Full, but it's not like PiF has ALOT more actual rapping than Illmatic does.

Now social commentary... what is a 19 year old kid coming out of QB going to know about any of that stuff.
Nas has moved towards social commentary now(Untitled), but it's never going to be as popular and influental as It Takes a Nation of Millions.
You can say that Nation of Millions is the GOAT and I wouldn't have a problem with that because Illmatic and Nation of Millions are like Apples and OrangesIMO, you can't really compare the 2.
A better comparison is Paid in Full(which isn't given enough credit as a fantastic album) and Illmatic.

SoHi 23, I agree about PIF and Illmatic. That PIF doesn't have more actual rapping. That's why I did the 6 track breakdown. PIF's greatness is inthose 6 songs like Illmatic's greatness is in basically 6-7 records.

If you re-read my post, I wasn't comparing It Takes A Nation and Illmatic. I was comparing PIF and Illmatic, then saying It Takes A Nation is sort of in aclass above them both. Point being Illmatic is NOT a clear cut #1 album of all time like cats in here are making it out to be. Because it's on the samelevel as PIF (I might even throw a Kool G Rap WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE in that same class, maybe 1 of Jay's albums...), but It Takes A Nation is in it'sown league.

I actually came back to talk some other albums. Got some heads at the crib watching the UFC event. And we were talking. You look at this thread. And even mypost. I didn't mention 'Kast at first. Only East Coast albums. OP clearly has an East Coast bias. I've seen some "lists" where dudes haveIllmatic, The Infamous, OB4CL all as Top 5. There's an East Clast bias there. Those are all VERY similar albums in many ways.

You can't have GOAT discussions and ignore the South (Outkast with AQUEMINI etc.) or the West. STRAIGHT OUTAA COMPTON and ZAGGIN4EFIL could both be throwninto a GOAT discussion.

If you're going to talk about the GOAT, it can't just be East Coast albums from 92-97 or so. There way too much of that on here. Clearly the majorityof heads on here came up during a certain era. But GOAT should include albums from all regions from 87 on.

One really shouldn't be discussing the greatest anything of all time if they do not have an extensive and well rounded knowledge and appreciation of thesubject in it's entirety.......

I'll admit my East coast bias, but you can't compare Illmatic to It Takes A Nation. Both were extremely influential and I love both to death, butseriously, Nas came out and spit his heart out for 39 minutes straight as just a young guy talking about QB and life in general. Rap at its finest. I don'tsee how It Takes A Nation is a BETTER rap album, like you said they are different. Lyrically, Illmatic was just on another level. Every time you hear it itjust has that timeless classic feel to it.

Dudes saying One time 4 ya mind is skippable... It is the weakest track on the album, I agree, but when you have an album filled with canididates for GOAT songof all-time... of course one song that isn't will stick out like that. It ain't even that bad at all... a 4/5 song IMO.
indifferent.gif
@ saying anything else isskippable.

That's why it's so hard to have a top 5 list. You got so many East coast classics that you just can't leave out then you have to fit in the westcoast and south, and then you got the underground scene (for me anyway). Still, no matter how many times I've changed my top 5, illmatic has always been#1. That spot is solidified as far as I'm concerned.

You can look at it this way

Illmatic
*Another east coast classic
*Classic from the south
*Classic from the west
*Underground classic

But picking 1 for each category is impossible for me. Can I really say what is better between Wu-Tang and their solo albums, or The Infamous or Lifestylez orReady to Die or .... etc etc; nah, impossible for me to choose one as a clear-cut better album.

i guess its about how old you are.... ppl like me that were born in the early 80's mid 80's love illmatic and 36 and ready to die and practically thewhole west coast line....

ppl that like paid in full and STRAIGHT OUTAA COMPTON etc like illphillip........ are old....

i consider my era(94- ??) the greatest, while illphillip thinks that late 80's is what had it poppin.

its all about the era in my opinion...

example :

my gramps thinks that elvis is the greatest of all time...

i think Mike Jack is the greatest of all time...

different eras

illphillip...your points are valid enough..but the thing that makes illmatic so great is its fluidity and timelessness. You can compare the best 6 tracks onillmatic and the best 6 tracks on Paid in Full but you are still not getting to the essence of which one is a better album.

Illmatic was so good that it is a concept album without intending to be. Its the audio version of Richard Wright's "Black Boy" for the Hip-Hopgeneration. It has lost almost none of its appeal. Illmatic is a near flawless body of work that you can play everyday from now until the day you die and stillappreciate. It transcends Hip-Hop.

You can single out the best tracks on PIF but you are still ignoring the solo Eric B. joints, which are undeniably mind-blowing but do not stand the test oftime in the same way as a Memory Lane or One Love. There is a separate issue about the role of the DJ in Hip-Hop past and present....but there is no way thatPIF can elicit the same emotional response as IM and thats where it falls short in comparison IMO. As far as influence and a testament to what the artform ofHip-Hop is about PIF is top 3. But as a general consensus as to what most Hip-Hop fans are looking for from a Hip-Hop album, lyricism, production,timelessness, replay factor, emotional response, etc....Its hard to beat Illmatic.

Originally Posted by dreClark

DOC's 'No One Can Do It Better' is top 3 of the greatest Hip Hop albums I ever heard.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

kf4lfa.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

that car accident is one of the worst tragedies to plague hip hop
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom