The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

I take it back. Mata...

The more I think about it, Mata might be the best attacking midfielder out there right now however being a Barca fan, I think Xavi (in his prime) was one of the best ever. If your talking about EPL though, where does Kagawa rate? Outside of EPL how does Kroos rate?

Xavi was and is a central midfielder.

Kroos is better than Mata. His range of passing is better, and can actually run a game from the middle with his ability to interpret space and use the ball. I think Kagawa is less talented overall, but a closer comparison as they have similarly good vision, have an excellent final ball, and both like to take up shooting positions off interplay. Mata tends to drift in/out of games, but does provide that impact final ball or goal, which tends to stand out, so I don't see him as underrated - though I don't think he's close to being the best attacking midfielder in the world.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask for a while...but why the heck do they always have both champions league matches being played at the same damn time. Makes zero sense

I've been meaning to ask for a while...but why the heck do they always have both champions league matches being played at the same damn time. Makes zero sense

Because Platini is a cheap traditionalist fool, whose not the least bit concerned with progression. At this point in the tournament, no game should be scheduled at the same time.

This whole Di Canio ordeal will be a mess. 
mean.gif

I take it back. Mata...

The more I think about it, Mata might be the best attacking midfielder out there right now however being a Barca fan, I think Xavi (in his prime) was one of the best ever. If your talking about EPL though, where does Kagawa rate? Outside of EPL how does Kroos rate?

Kroos is better than Mata. His range of passing is better, and can actually run a game from the middle with his ability to interpret space and use the ball. I think Kagawa is less talented overall, but a closer comparison as they have similarly good vision, have an excellent final ball, and both like to take up shooting positions off interplay. Mata tends to drift in/out of games, but does provide that impact final ball or goal, which tends to stand out, so I don't see him as underrated - though I don't think he's close to being the best attacking midfielder in the world.

I think Kroos looks better being as though he plays on a talented side like BM. Having watched Mata this last year along with this year I think some of the drifting in/out of games you mention has a bit to do with the inconsistent play around him & the line-ups Rafa puts out there.

Because Platini is a cheap traditionalist fool, whose not the least bit concerned with progression. At this point in the tournament, no game should be scheduled at the same time.

I would think it has a lot to do with football schedules. Remember the top teams are involved in ALOT of competitions, and need to include rest and travel. So in the group stages, it makes sense that most teams play on the same days and same times.

Later on for the knockout matches, before the technology wave, it made it even better, because teams didn't know how the other matches (which affected them) finished. So teams would generally go out all guns blazing. I guess now with technology it's a different ball game because managers are informed of results immediately, which can be relayed to the players during the match.

I would think it has a lot to do with football schedules. Remember the top teams are involved in ALOT of competitions, and need to include rest and travel. So in the group stages, it makes sense that most teams play on the same days and same times.

Later on for the knockout matches, before the technology wave, it made it even better, because teams didn't know how the other matches (which affected them) finished. So teams would generally go out all guns blazing. I guess now with technology it's a different ball game because managers are informed of results immediately, which can be relayed to the players during the match.

Yea dude, but like I said. At this point in the tournament (well past the group stage) games should not be played at the same time. Especially in this day and age. Platini bro, he just doesn't change.

Agree Kroos has a better range of passing. Partly due to the fact that Mata plays higher up the pitch in the #10 role so he isn't asked to sit back in the midfield and distribute/control the game from midfield with passing.

Mata drifts in/out of games because our double pivot has been terrible for majority of the season. We usually play with Lampard and Ramires running the pivot, who are both horribly suited for it. And as a result, our midfield gets dominated and we have fewer possession almost every time we play a solid side. It's also the reason our other forwards Hazard and Ba/Torres, etc drift in/out of games at times. Our central midfield just isn't built for controlling possession and the supply to our forwards suffers as a result.

Thankfully we have Mikel who is the only reliable one in our pivot but he is completely defensive oriented.

If/when Chelsea picks up some quality central midfielders this summer who can control the pace/play attacking players like Mata/Hazard/Oscar are going to really shine next year.

I agree I hate both games playing at the same time. Ima Barca fan but I'm gonna have to watch Juventus vs bayern first too much class in that game.

Thank god Ibrahimovic is back for this match.

The match vs. Barca would have no luster without him there

Valdes; Alves, Mascherano, Pique, Alba; Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi; Villa, Messi, Sanchez

Sirigu; Jallet, Alex, Silva, Maxwell; Moura, Beckham, Matuidi, Pastore; Lavezzi, Ibrahimovic

Neuer, Lahm, Van Buyten, Dante, Alaba, Gustavo, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Kroos, Ribery, Mandzukic

Buffon, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini, Lichtsteiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Peluso, Matri, Quagliarella

Last edited:
Beckham starts...hmmm. I guess he has to play in the center in that group, but it would be fun if he played like he did with LAG some of the time. Occupy a 10 yard path on the right and do nothing but cross. With Alves likely high up and Barca's CBs, hell, could work... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom