The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

WC goals by club
v4pjrKP.png
Manager salaries
kmSnSmr.png

damn, Miguel Herrera is basically doing this for charity? :lol:

Word.

but he was a long shot. Average to Good Player turned club coach and after America won the league he got a shot and he took it. He will have job offers from Mexican clubs no matter what happens...thats where he will get paid.

Still devastated about the result,

I thought we were actually the better team but you cannot defend the way we did when you have a player like Suarez on the opposing team, Too many people went missing, and when you have Steven Gerrard helping his buddy out then that doesn't help :lol:

Just got to look at the positives, We have a good crop of young exciting players coming through in Barkley, Sterling, Shaw and Sturridge. Can maybe make some noise in the next Euro

@Couplet88 A bet is a bet, Im ready for my Avatar bro :x

Curious.. So professional athletes in the States usually develop their skills in college.

What about athletes in Europe? I notice a lot of then go to academies, are these basically schools where athletes receive an education as well? Also notice a lot of players turn pro well before their 20s.

Sorry for the ignorance, just unclear about what the system is like in Europe.

Roy makes entirely too much money.. No way i would pay him half of that salary. Yes England have alot of young players but with a manager like him you will only go so far.

Curious.. So professional athletes in the States usually develop their skills in college.

What about athletes in Europe? I notice a lot of then go to academies, are these basically schools where athletes receive an education as well? Also notice a lot of players turn pro well before their 20s.

Sorry for the ignorance, just unclear about what the system is like in Europe.

Most of them go into academies. Most at a very young age. Once the manager feels they are ready for the 1st team, they promote them up. But to answer your question these kids start of very early if scouted early enough. Once they are its breath, eat and sleep soccer

I was asking in terms of education. Do they go to school while attending these academies? Or is that just an afterthought ...

I cant speak for every academy but i know forsure at barca's and Ajax they recieve education as well .. usually class in the morning and training in the evening

I cant speak for every academy but i know forsure at barca's and Ajax they recieve education as well .. usually class in the morning and training in the evening

United give a full time education as well at their academy.

I believe Chelsea does as well (interestingly enough, my friends cousin just got accepted to Chelsea academy. He's from Zimbabwe originally, but living in London for past few years- I'll need to ask her about him and find out how the system works).

Inter as well
I think it might be the law in England, I wouldn't be surprised that if it was a UEFA law, that kids need to be givrn an education because they need something to fall back on incase football doesn't work out

i really need to make it to Japan.. their culture is so fascinating to me

Sid Lowe wrote a great piece on the side Spain could field for Euro 2016 which barring injury could include Thiago Alcantara, Koke, Jese Rodriguez, Isco, & David de Gea.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/19/spain-next-generation-world-cup-exit

It could also include Inigo Martinez, Alvaro Morata, Daniel Carvajal, Asier Illarramendi, Marc Bartra, Martin Montoya, Iker Muniain, & Ander Herrera.

Apossible starting 11 according to NBC's ProSoccerTalk;

G – David de Gea
LB – Jordi Alba
CB – Sergio Ramos
CB – Gerard Pique
RB – Daniel Carvajal
DM – Sergio Busquets
CM – Thiago Alcantara
CM – Koke
AM – Andres Iniesta
F – Jese Rodríguez
F – Diego Costa

I personally wouldn't use Ramos or Pique though. I think Javi Martinez & Azpilicueta would factor in the picture. Other defenders on the U21 team that could factor are Alberto Moreno, Sergi Gomez, Jordi Amat, Juan Bernat, & maybe even Derik Osede...

Offensively, you also have to consider Gerard Deulofeu, Sergi Roberto, Iker Muniain (captain of the U21), & Denis Suarez.

La Roja is in good shape talent wise for many years to come! :smokin

Last edited:
Rough day for the Ivory coast yesterday. Yaya and Kolo brother, Ibrahim, had passed away and they were informed after the match. Can't imagine how the ride to the hotel felt after that game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom