The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

If Barca's Board was smart, they would get rid of the excess players they have and bring in the players they need right meow.

My worry with Van Gaal, is how far Netherlands get in the WC.

There's A LOT of transfer work to do, and if he's still tied up with Netherlands, how much time will there really be for him to ship out the dead weight, and bring in whoever he has in mind.

I was going to type that. It's going to be a task for any manager to come in & get a sense for what he needs to carry out his plan. One would almost say not to go on a spending spree until the manager knows exactly what he wants. United should at least buy a fullback though.

If Barca's Board was smart, they would get rid of the excess players they have and bring in the players they need right meow.

Smart & Barca Board don't seem to go hand in hand these days... :rolleyes

Last edited:
My worry with Van Gaal, is how far Netherlands get in the WC.

There's A LOT of transfer work to do, and if he's still tied up with Netherlands, how much time will there really be for him to ship out the dead weight, and bring in whoever he has in mind.

I was going to type that. It's going to be a task for any manager to come in & get a sense for what he needs to carry out his plan. One would almost say not to go on a spending spree until the manager knows exactly what he wants. United should at least buy a fullback though.

I think every manager in the world can see what United need.
Hell, I think LVG already has a list written down on an Excel spreadsheet at home.

The issue is, whatever manager will need to be there to implement those deals early.

I think one of the glaring things Moyes failed at was not developing the younger players on the squad. With the exception of Januzaj, every one of them (younger players) looked worse this year than last year under SAF. Some even looked horribly worse than last year. This was one of the things that Moyes was supposed to be good at (developing younger talent).

It's not a question of these younger players not having talent or they wouldn't be on the squad. It should come down to a solid manager that get's the kids to train hard & properlly & demanding production & execution. This is another thing Moyes failed at doing as the team looked lost far too often.

Going back to van Gaal rumored to wanting Keane as an assistant, could you imagine a staff with van Gaal, Keane, & Giggs?!?! :lol: They'll run everyone off the squad crying for their mommies...

Edit - Barca continues to violate fifa rules by reportedly beating out Real Madrid in signing a 16 year old mid fielder from Hungary, Matyas Tajti... :rofl:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...ungarian-teenager-matyas-tajti-report?cc=5901

Last edited:
I think one of the glaring things Moyes failed at was not developing the younger players on the squad. With the exception of Januzaj, every one of them (younger players) looked worse this year than last year under SAF. Some even looked horribly worse than last year. This was one of the things that Moyes was supposed to be good at (developing younger talent).

It's not a question of these younger players not having talent or they wouldn't be on the squad. It should come down to a solid manager that get's the kids to train hard & properlly & demanding production & execution. This is another thing Moyes failed at doing as the team looked lost far too often.

Speaking of young United players, I've been saying for years, I'm still looking forward to seeing Tyler Blackett have a go in the next season or two (He's 20).

Hoping to see another manager come in and promote from within.

And of course Nick Powell BEFORE Rösler turns him into a striker :smh:

Congrats man. :smokin

Must be a hell of a feeling.

How are you guys shaping up for the Prem move? Got the right man for the job? Ageing players?
Amazing feeling, it's been coming.

Right man for the job without a doubt, goes about his business quietly, does amazingly well in the transfer window.. Love him.

ONE NIGEL PEARSON THERE'S ONLY ONR NIGEL PEARSONNNNN :lol:

As for ageing players, the average age of our squad is 24/25, no nope :D

I'm confident we'll stay up with the right signings, not too many maybe 3/4. I love this team and we definitely need to keep the core of it together and just build around it.

Keep an eye out for Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez next year boys, dangerous :wink:

Hoping to see another manager come in and promote from within.

I was all cool with the transfer ban fifa imposed on Barca because I've been saying for a long time that Barca needs an action plan regarding what to do with the players loaned out & those on Barca B & below.

Great read from a Barca fan site Total Barca. Spoiler mode so it doesn't take too much room but it reinforces what I've long been saying.

http://www.totalbarca.com/2014/news/tata-overlooks-la-masia/

In a season when things have not been going very well for FC Barcelona, one would expect that the coach would turn to the club’s endless conveyor belt of youth talent for the answer to the team’s lack of fresh legs and fresh ideas. Instead, players from FC Barcelona B have only seen 72 minutes of first team football this season. Read more after the jump.

Something was wrong about Tata Martino’s perception and appreciation of the players in the reserves from the very beginning. When the club’s squad for the Champions League was published, it was stunning to see no players under the catalogue labelled ‘List B’ (U-21 players). What made that fact even more surprising were the numbers of players on ‘List B’ in recent seasons. Eleven ‘canteranos’ were named in the squad in 2010-11, nine in 2011-12, and six in 2012-13.

Of course, that didn’t necessarily indicate that Barça B players wouldn’t be given their chance, as U-21 players can be called up at any time with no limitations. Yet that still eventually proved to be the case. So far this season, only three players got a chance. Adama Traoré, Jean Marie Dongou and Patric have played a combined 72 minutes of first team football. The Cameroonian striker ranks first with 32 minutes in total (seven minutes against Levante, 11 against Celtic in the Champions League and 14 against Cartagena in the Copa del Rey), followed by Patric (23 minutes against Ajax) and Adama (nine minutes against Ajax and eight against Granada).

The contrast to previous seasons is huge. Even last season, which saw only five B team players play for the first team ranks better than the current season, with the reserves playing 1,432 minutes. During Pep Guardiola’s time, minutes were generously handed out to the youngsters. 2008-09 saw ten canteranos clock up 1,651 minutes, 2009-10 saw seven play 410 minutes, in 2010-11, 11 players played 2,162 minutes and in 2011-12, nine reserve team players (excluding Thiago Alcántara) shared 2,298 minutes of first team football.

Tata Martino’s refusal to play Barça B, or even Juvenil A players is made even more baffling by the fact that both teams are having splendid seasons. Barça B is 5th in La Liga Adelante, a league in which the top and bottom teams are only 26 points apart, while the Juvenil A is sweeping everybody aside, winning the league and the inaugural UEFA Youth League. Couldn’t Martino call up Sergi Samper, or Denis Suárez, who are being touted as certain first-teamers? At a time when Barça’s starting goalkeeper is out with a lengthy injury and ready to depart, Martino has chosen to go along with 38-year-old José Manuel Pinto (no offense to him), who has not inspired a sense of safety once in his Barça career, instead of picking 25-year-old Jordi Masip, who is in the form of his life, having kept the reserves afloat with some extraordinary saves in the first round? Munir El Haddadi tormented the defences of the best youth teams in Europe, scoring 11 goals in 10 matches to finish as top scorer of the UEFA Youth League, yet he has not even been called to train with the first team yet. Some things about Martino’s management of the team are really perplexing.

It is widely accepted that Barça has lost its bearing over the past year. To find an accurate bearing towards glory once again, promoting youth players nurtured at Barça must be made a priority. Barça’s glory days, not so long ago, were achieved using a largely home-grown lineup. If we don’t take advantage of our pearls, we must know it doesn’t take much for a certain Arsène Wenger to lure them to England.

Good stuff heggsy heggsy ! Congrats & good luck to your team!

Yes he has lol. What do you say Eiddy? Give him another shot?

Suspending the Barca ban makes sense, I don't think they'll win the appeal in the long run but they should be given time to prove their case. This basically means Barca will hit this transfer window hard and fast. Should be interesting. Besides the players we already know are coming, wonder who else they get now.

I got this feeling Mangala is going to Barca, he'd fit in there only City can stop it now if they pay more.

Yes he has lol. What do you say Eiddy? Give him another shot?

Suspending the Barca ban makes sense, I don't think they'll win the appeal in the long run but they should be given time to prove their case. This basically means Barca will hit this transfer window hard and fast. Should be interesting. Besides the players we already know are coming, wonder who else they get now.

I got this feeling Mangala is going to Barca, he'd fit in there only City can stop it now if they pay more.

Not a chance in hell. :lol:

Even though he's got 10 in 23 this season, and he's putting up a few worldies.

Forget about it. It's time to start a fresh properly. I'd like to see RVP go (will be tough if LVG comes), or Rooney, cause those wages are outrageous :smh: and it's clear Moyes made him feel a cut above the rest of the crop.

I feel like letting go some of that dead weight will be great, and bringing in some of the younger talent back into squad, while seeking out experienced top notch players for starting 11 roles.

Hopefully Chicha can stay, and we can see more of that Kagawa x Mata x Januzaj x Chicha combination.

They looked great here...

Last edited:
PREMIER LEAGUE HERE WE COME!
Congrats... what a tremendous feeling! 
nthat.gif

Do you live in Leicester?

Last edited:
Part of my life, it's a lot of time, money and very little sleep travelling miles to watch them play all over, but it's been worth it, this season especially
smile.gif
Can't wait for next year.
Well then in that case... a few more for ya!

Bolton+Wanderers+v+Leicester+City+OdWK4H8X44Rx.jpg

Bolton+Wanderers+v+Leicester+City+SAIuzSvAwcYx.jpg

Bolton+Wanderers+v+Leicester+City+DlCsTlo5I_Lx.jpg

Bolton+Wanderers+v+Leicester+City+92xc71nvIkDx.jpg

For those that didn't know our keeper is none other than Man U legend Peter Schmeichels son Kasper.

Amazing keeper.

And Vinnie Jones.....:lol:

And yes, crazy goal to see live indeed. :D

Back
Top Bottom