The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

DC UNITED - Barra Brava
ARSENAL GOONER
Barça Mes Que Un Club!

USMNT.
Colombia
Peru.

This is who I cheer/Root/Live/Die For.

I cheer these three different countries because I have a parent from each Country But i was Born and raised HERE in the Good ole USA (My Parents immigrated to the US in the 70's).

Don't understand how people root for multiple teams in the same league, but I'll let them live.

Arsenal honestly would have a shot at the EPL title with two solid signings, but at this point, i Have a feeling We're going to make some desperation TW deadline day moves, smh. Hopefully we get that "finishing in the top 4" trophy again, smh/lol...

Anyone ever thought of doing individual team page threads like you see in S&T forums? I'd love one for all my Gooners...
those would be some lonely threads given the diversity of who nt'ers support. It's good to have everyone come in here and discuss the game all over the world.

While this thread is heavy on the epl talk there are still a lot of members that have excellent insight into other leagues.

epl sux btw

Barcelona all day, errday.

Can't wait til September to be in Barcelona and watch some games. Aiming for a league game and UCL game.

Ramos went off the deep end like Piqué after getting Shakira yambs.

Comparing Negredo and Soldado in their first EPL campaigns.

Also comparing Zaha to Sterling and Ox.

Warrior is trolling us. Sevilla's away kit...

BQeJLHuCMAAX3mC.jpg

Arsenal pledge to continue supporting Kenny Sansom after homeless revelation

Arsenal say they are continuing to support former player Kenny Sansom after it emerged today that the 54-year-old is now homeless.

The ex-Gunners and England left-back told a tabloid newspaper he has been sleeping on a park bench recently after years of drinking and gambling problems.

Sansom told The Sun: ‘I have been living homeless for ten days, that’s because I’ve got no money, I’m a drunk, I’m not feeling very well and I’m a gambler. I’ve been living on the street.

‘I am just a drunk. I drink as much as I can get.’

Arsenal today responded to the sad news by confirming that they and the Professional Footballers’ Association have come to Sansom’s aid.

A club spokesman said: ‘We are aware of Kenny Sansom’s situation and have been providing him with ongoing support and guidance.’

Sansom began his career at Crystal Palace, where he won the FA Youth Cup and a Second Division winners’ medal in 1979, before spending eight years at Highbury.

He made 314 appearances for Arsenal, helping them win the 1987 Littlewood’s Cup, and became England’s first-choice left-back, winning 86 caps and playing at the 1982 and ’86 World Cups, as well as Euro ’88.

The Londoner also played for Newcastle, QPR, Coventry, Everton, Brentford and Watford.

Since retiring Sansom has, in between spells in rehab, worked as a pundit and as a guide on the ‘Legends’ tour at the Emirates Stadium.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/01/arsen...nny-sansom-after-homeless-revelation-3908216/

Pretty sad to see things end that way for players...hopefully he has time to turn things around....

Being on this side of the pond, never really hear many stories of professional footballers going broke. Is it common news much like athletes here in the US?

DC UNITED - Barra Brava
ARSENAL GOONER
Barça Mes Que Un Club!

USMNT.
Colombia
Peru.

This is who I cheer/Root/Live/Die For.

I cheer these three different countries because I have a parent from each Country But i was Born and raised HERE in the Good ole USA (My Parents immigrated to the US in the 70's).

Don't understand how people root for multiple teams in the same league, but I'll let them live.

Arsenal honestly would have a shot at the EPL title with two solid signings, but at this point, i Have a feeling We're going to make some desperation TW deadline day moves, smh. Hopefully we get that "finishing in the top 4" trophy again, smh/lol...

Anyone ever thought of doing individual team page threads like you see in S&T forums? I'd love one for all my Gooners...

Be careful some of the guys here will be upset since you root for the US team and two national teams (parents countries). They start catching feelings when your teams beat up on theirs.

With that said...my Nat Teams

Argentina
Motto:World Champions or Bust
View media item 520895
Guatemala
Motto: As long as we beat Mexico and El Salvador we good.
View media item 520896View media item 520897

Last edited:
Soldado :pimp:. After all these years, we've finally signed a decent striker.

If we manage to keep Bale, this will definitely be the best transfer window we've had in a long time.

Last edited:
Soldado is a consolation prize to fans for bale leaving

I root fortune country I was born in (s Korea), the country I live in (USA) and brazil because they were the team to watch in the 90s. I dont see anything wrong with it

Last edited:
^That absolutely makes sense since you were born there.

I rep El Salvador and the US. If they are playing each other, La Selecta comes first.

Nice article about Steve Nash being a footy fan...

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/relegationzone/id/1166?cc=5901

Aug 01@ 8:00AM EDT
NBA star Steve Nash immerses himself in 'first love' soccer
Posted by Roger Bennett

WHIPPANY, N.J. -- Steve Nash looks like a soccer player. With his lithe body clad in Inter Milan's legendary Nerazzurri jersey, the NBA star appeared the part, striding out of the locker room to train with the Serie A team ahead of their opening game in the Guinness International Champions Cup against Chelsea.

Though he later admitted to experiencing a pang of nerves, the two-time NBA MVP quickly demonstrated a deft touch with both feet during warm-ups. "The Canadian Xavi" entered the fray in a training game alongside such international talents as Esteban Cambiasso and Diego Milito, handchecking attackers as if they were opponents attempting to drive past him at the Staples Center.

Buzzing as he strolled off the field, Nash talked positively about his return from the hip and hamstring injuries that hampered him last season with the Los Angeles Lakers. "I'm not 100 percent," he said, "but I am close.

"As someone who grew up in a London household on the west coast of Canada, this is a dream come true."

While the Inter players sought respite from the unforgiving New Jersey heat, plunging into a postgame ice bath in their underwear, Nash took time to sit down and discussed the special role the game of football has played in his life.

With Nash sporting a personalized Inter jersey marked with the vaunted playmaker's No. 10, I began by asking: If he had been born in 1990 instead of 1974, with all the progress football has made in this country, might he have aspired toward a professional soccer career, along with his father and brother, instead of working toward the NBA?

"The athlete in me thinks if I could have put all the energy I put into basketball into football, I could have made something of myself," he said. "At the same time, I have such a respect for world football and how good the players are. ... I would hate to disrespect anyone by saying I could have been a professional footballer, but you never know. I certainly put a lot of hours into basketball, so it would have been interesting to see if I could have made something of myself on the football pitch."

Asked to define the role soccer has come to play in his life, Nash does not hesitate. "It was my first love. My first word was 'Goal!' -- my dad made sure of that," he said with a proud smile. "Now, when I go home, I watch soccer; I am a massive fan."

WATCH: Nash on Gareth Bale's possible move

Yet the modest Nash is far more than a mere fan. As co-owner of MLS's Vancouver Whitecaps, a renowned Tottenham Hotspur die-hard, and host of the annual Steve Nash Foundation Showdown (uniting European football stars and NBA talent on the football field to raise nearly $2 million for a range of children's charities), the basketball star has made a prolonged and sizable contribution to advance soccer's profile across North America.

The depth of his love for the sport is evident. The proud Canadian admits he could find it in himself to root for the United States at the 2014 World Cup. "I want the game to grow here," he said with no compunction. "I can understand why you would not want to cheer for your neighbor ... but those guys have done a great job for growing the sport in this country."

The Lakers' point guard shakes his head in wonder as he describes the experience of witnessing soccer's profile grow. "When I was at college ... you never thought, you would never think there would be a day when [soccer] is on the ticker," he said. "Now when you watch, there is a result on SportsCenter's ticker, which to me is a mark of how far the game has come in this country."

The game is even penetrating the ranks of the NBA. When I inform Nash that Dirk Nowitzki came on our show and suggested that LeBron James is a "fake Liverpool fan," Nash lights up. "I will do you one better," he said as a broad grin crosses his face, "Dirk is not a real Arsenal fan. He can take that one!"

That smile quickly disappears when the subject turns to Tottenham Hotspur, the Premier League team Nash has followed from birth. "My dad is from Tottenham, his dad's from Tottenham, my mom and dad grew up in Tottenham and got married there," he explained to reinforce his bona fides. When challenged to provide a professional athlete's explanation for Spurs' late collapse last season, he grimaces. "We have played some of the best football the league has seen over the parts of the last two seasons, but it is the workmanlike professional wins you have to get away from home that really matter," he said. "In big games we usually play, but we have to find a way to be consistent in the other games because you never know which will lose you the race for the Champions League."

Asked about the lingering rumors of Gareth Bale's move to Real Madrid, Nash provides two responses -- that of an emotional supporter and a rational pro athlete. "As a Tottenham fan, I would love him to stay for us to get into the Champions League; we have to keep our best players. But as an athlete, I can understand if they say to him: This is your one and only chance to come to Madrid. ... Why would he want to turn that down? If he goes -- when he goes -- the most important thing for him is to keep his head down and concentrate on his training and enjoy his football. He has got all of the talent and seems to do brilliantly wherever he goes."

Nash attempts to remain positive. "The best case is Tottenham get into top three, but some things are going to have to fall our way in terms of staying healthy," he said. "The worst case is if we lose Bale and get some injuries -- you never know where you could bottom."

The NBA star blows out his cheeks when attempting to predict a title winner. "It is hard to bet against Manchester City because of all their talent, but Mourinho has done it before and all the boys at United know how to win it, too."

Offered the footballing "Sophie's Choice" between Tottenham winning the Premier League or Vancouver lifting the MLS Cup, Nash takes a deep breath before responding. "I hope this does not sound bad since I am desperate for Vancouver to win and am one of the owners, but Spurs have been trying to win since 1961, so I might take that first seeing as Vancouver are a young team. This is just our third year in the league and we have plenty of time to win plenty of cups."

Pushing further, I ask Nash to choose between the scenarios of Tottenham winning the Premier League on goal difference from Arsenal, or the Lakers winning next year's NBA title. This time he does not hesitate: "It's tough but I would say the Lakers." His eyes light up at the very prospect. "I have been fighting so hard for that every day, it would be fantastic."

Last edited:
Soldado :pimp:. After all these years, we've finally signed a decent striker.

If we manage to keep Bale, this will definitely be the best transfer window we've had in a long time.

Soldado isnt even better than Defoe or Adebayor..

Nash :smokin seems like a cool *** guy always liked him, though he's a Spurs fan :lol:

Seeing all these MLS squads I forgot to mention the Union :smokin always have love for the hometown teams

Back
Top Bottom