The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Bad move imo. The leagues "quality" will get diluted.

They should just follow the euro system. 20 teams. Play everyone twice. Relegation to NASL.

Expand International players to 50% of the team.

Top 4 teams play in concacaf
If the rate for growth mirrors what we've seen the past decade the leagues quality will not be diluted. 

MLS has added what ten teams in eight years and the quality of the league has risen EXPONENTIALLY. We're talking about adding four teams over the course of five years and people think it will dilute the quality. 
laugh.gif

I know the general consensus here is that MLS is **** but the league is in its infancy, like it's literally just learning how to walk. It's only going to continue to grow and grow and grow. 

I don't understand when people bring up relegation in regards to MLS, do they just not understand the concept of a single entity structure or is it pure fantasy. pro/rel could possibly happen this century, but only with drastic changes to the league model, changes that would greatly hurt the current owners/investors, changes that all 20 investors would have to unanimously vote and agree on.

and what would expanding to the number of international slots do aside from weaken the development of our own domestic players?

Follow the Euro system. Anything less is unacceptable.
Unacceptable? Uh no. The majority of the Western hemisphere does NOT follow the Euro system.

As usual the Euro fairy dust is strong here. 

Bad move imo. The leagues "quality" will get diluted.

They should just follow the euro system. 20 teams. Play everyone twice. Relegation to NASL.

Expand International players to 50% of the team.

Top 4 teams play in concacaf

If the rate for growth mirrors what we've seen the past decade the leagues quality will not be diluted. 

MLS has added what ten teams in eight years and the quality of the league has risen EXPONENTIALLY. We're talking about adding four teams over the course of five years and people think it will dilute the quality. :lol:

I know the general consensus here is that MLS is **** but the league is in its infancy, like it's literally just learning how to walk. It's only going to continue to grow and grow and grow. 

I don't understand when people bring up relegation in regards to MLS, do they just not understand the concept of a single entity structure or is it pure fantasy. pro/rel could possibly happen this century, but only with drastic changes to the league model, changes that would greatly hurt the current owners/investors, changes that all 20 investors would have to unanimously vote and agree on.

and what would expanding to the number of international slots do aside from weaken the development of our own domestic players?

Follow the Euro system. Anything less is unacceptable.

Unacceptable? Uh no. The majority of the Western hemisphere does NOT follow the Euro system.

As usual the Euro fairy dust is strong here. 

Nicely put. As said before the MLS is still new and such a change to the system wouldn't happen for a while. Also the NASL would have to change it's structure first to match the MLS. They also have no TV deal at the moment, I believe they rejected it. NASL is also expanding too, currently at 14 clubs I think. As someone pointed out before, stadiums might be an issue. Since many of those clubs share a stadium with college teams and etc.

March 9, 2012, 7:57 pm 8 Comments
M.L.S. Preview: Five Questions for Commissioner Don Garber
By ANDREW DAS

When you became commissioner, you did away with some M.L.S. rules quirks and brought the league into line with the rest of the world. Do you ever see a possibility for relegation and promotion in M.L.S.?

When M.L.S. first started the league had some unique rules such as a tie-breaker shootout that were intended to appeal to a broader fan base. We quickly learned that there were tens of millions of fans in this country that loved the game and wanted the league to play by the same rules as the rest of the world. At the end of the 1999 season, we changed our rules to adhere to the international standard and we have never looked back on that decision.

The topic of promotion and relegation is something I am asked about regularly, along with the league moving to a single table and possibly changing to a European calendar. While I personally think promotion and relegation would be very exciting, the professional soccer landscape in the United States and Canada is not mature enough to support this type of system, and therefore it is not something we are contemplating.

Thought these were worth looking at
http://www.thedenimkit.com/2012/05/...tion-introducing-the-alternative-un-20s-plan/
http://www.soccernewsday.com/usa/a/317/resolving-the-promotion-relegation-debate

Gervinho to Roma http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=eng/news/newsid=1978916.html
Chamakh seems to be on his way to Palace

Last edited:
[table][tr][th=""]Team[/th][th=""]City[/th][th=""]Stadium[/th][th=""]Announced[/th][th=""]Joining[/th][th=""]Head Coach[/th][/tr][tr][td]Ottawa Fury[/td][td]Ottawa, ON[/td][td]Frank Clair Stadium[/td][td]2011[/td][td]2014[/td][td] Marc Dos Santos[/td][/tr][tr][td]Virginia Cavalry[/td][td]Ashburn, VA[/td][td]Edelman Financial Field[/td][td]2012[/td][td]2014[/td][td]TBA[/td][/tr][tr][td]Indy Eleven[/td][td]Indianapolis, IN[/td][td]Carroll Stadium[/td][td]2013[/td][td]2014[/td][td] Juergen Sommer[/td][/tr][tr][td]Jacksonville[/td][td]Jacksonville, FL[/td][td]TBD[/td][td]2013[/td][td]2015[/td][td]TBD[/td][/tr][tr][td]Oklahoma City[/td][td]Oklahoma City, OK[/td][td]Taft Stadium[/td][td]2013[/td][td]2015[/td][td]TBD[/td][/tr][/table][h3]Former teams[/h3][table][tr][th=""]Team[/th][th=""]City[/th][th=""]Stadium[/th][th=""]Joined NASL[/th][th=""]Last Season[/th][th=""]Status[/th][/tr][tr][td]Puerto Rico Islanders[/td][td]Bayamón, PR[/td][td]Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium (22,000)[/td][td]2011[/td][td]2012[/td][td]On hiatus[/td][/tr][tr][td]Montreal Impact[/td][td]Montreal, Canada[/td][td]Saputo Stadium (13,000)[/td][td]2011[/td][td]2011[/td][td]Team with same name and ownership joined MLS[/td][/tr][/table]
These are planned expansion teams for the NASL, taking out Montreal since it is in the MLS would make the NASL up to 14 teams by 2015. and with MLS having 20 teams by 2015 and top with 20 teams and bot with 14 seems good but looking at the stadium sizes for those in NASL Puerto Rico has the most followed by Ft. Lauderdale 20K and Cosmos at 15K.

watching the highlights on fsc, the Cosmos looked like they had a full house..

I HATE all new york teams, but the cosmos man, I like the Cosmos.

I know this "Emirates Cup" doesn't mean anything, but Porto should have won. I can't believe they missed to penalty shots against Gala in the first game. Lucho :smh:

Still, with that being said - Drogba's first touch on that goal today against Arsenal was just :x

^^ and Fellaini's exit clause just ended on the 1st of Aug. Forcing anyone to pay full market price for him.

I can see Moyes already making a statement that he's happy with his current team and tried to sign players, but the external factors stopped him from getting the players he wanted.

Wonder if Super Mario's girl Fanny will be in Jersey for the game... Could go for some crowd shots of her.

I'm looking forward to this game... Mata is looking good in the friendlies, so is Oscar & even Moses...

Ba is just running around just to be running around... Such an obtuse presence on the pitch sometimes...

Here's 5 predictions for this football season;
1. Number of goals Neymar will score in all competitions will be 15. David Villa will score 25.
2. Mou will win 3 titles for Chelsea.
3. Barcelona's run of Champions League Semi-Finals will end.
4. Real Madrid will finish in 3rd place in La Liga.
5. Manchester United will walk away with 0 trophies.

Who will finish second in La Liga, Atleti?

Villa isn't touching 20+ goals IMO.
I never underestimate a healthy David Villa. 25 would be a lot but I think he can around 15 just in La Liga.

One of my favorite forwards really hoping he can have Di Natale like success in these later stages of his career. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom