The U.... vol. Death Penalty?

Son went in
eek.gif
eek.gif

if this does happen to UM, its going to take them years to recover, if they ever do, the U isnt what it once was, and its sad to say that.

It would be interesting to witness the death penalty from a fans point of view, not that i want it to happen, but to see a program wiped off the map basically.

glad my man Andre Johnson aint on the list
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

good luck to the U and its fans.

Much respect to that man. It's hard to explain what I really wanna say at 2:30 in the morning, but to make it quick, the NCAA shouldn't punish programs for receiving benefits & whatever. Have always thought that.

While these kids are the ones who bring in MILLIONS to programs, but yet guys who sit in chairs all day cake off them. smh crime imo

Originally Posted by Caerus

Much respect to that man. It's hard to explain what I really wanna say at 2:30 in the morning, but to make it quick, the NCAA shouldn't punish programs for receiving benefits & whatever. Have always thought that.

While these kids are the ones who bring in MILLIONS to programs, but yet guys who sit in chairs all day cake off them. smh crime imo

theres very few schools who make money off football or sports in total, i get what your saying, but i see it from both ends.

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

Dee is upset about scandal
By Michelle Kaufman
[email protected]

Former University of Miami athletic director Paul Dee said Friday he is “absolutely sickened’’ by the allegations facing the Hurricanes, urged everyone involved to tell the truth, and conceded that Nevin Shapiro, the incarcerated booster at the center of the scandal, “should have been on our radar.’’
The only issue they had with Shapiro, Dee said, is that “he kept promising gifts he didn’t deliver.’’ Also, he rubbed football coach Randy Shannon the wrong way, to the point that Shannon warned his players about Shapiro. Dee admits that should have been a red flag.
“At that point, if our coach is uncomfortable with someone, he should tell the compliance officer, ‘There’s something about that guy I don’t like,’ and then we can check him out, keep an eye on him, and maybe ward him off if we need to. Maybe even hire a private investigator. The key to preventing all this is leadership and compliance. But you always question how much is too much enforcement.’’
Dee said Shapiro never asked for anything extraordinary, and was treated like all the other boosters who made substantial donations. He was given sideline passes for a few football games a year, but that is a common courtesy.
“It is not an unusual request for a trustee or booster to ask for a field pass,’’ said Dee, who served as chairman of the NCAA Infractions Committee. “I’ve had trustees take their kids down there to get photos before a game, boosters down there for pre-game warm-ups, those are little favors we did for the people who supported our program and it has never burned us before. Nevin was friends with Shaquille O’Neal, and we were told by people who knew him that he was a good guy with his own business. We had no idea he was dirty and running a Ponzi scheme. His own friends didn’t know. Some guys smell fishy, and pique your interest. He wasn’t one of those guys.’’
Dee, who was AD until 2008, said whenever he got “word from the street’’ that Hurricane players were hanging out in the wrong places, he tried to put a stop to it. When he heard football players were visiting Club Rolexx, a North Miami strip club, he sent someone to check and the Canes were prohibited from going back.
“We tried to be careful, and we did a pretty good job, but we should have done more,’’ he said. “All we can do now is wait for the truth to come out, take our medicine if it comes, and learn from it. But it pains me tremendously to see such sensational stories and headlines. UM is getting creamed again, and everyone around the country loves it. We will survive, though. We will survive.’’

Last edited Today 12:25 AM by mschaff

laugh.gif
 at this fat hypocritical @%#%

Originally Posted by air max 87

Originally Posted by Caerus

theres very few schools who make money off football or sports in total, i get what your saying, but i see it from both ends.

Word & thats where the hole is in this particular argument. But as we're seeing, this is happening mostly at schools who have elite athletic programs.

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

Originally Posted by Kingtre

They're going to be called "cheaters" despite the obvious fact that boat trips don't make you run any faster or hit any harder.

http://miami.247sports.co...-Weasels-and-Canes-36020

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
  Dude has a point in everything he said.
He makes some good points, but the part you bolded is not one of them. Nobody is stupid enough to think that all those benefits makes the players any better, but apparently a lot of people are stupid enough to overlook the fact that the use of these benefits to lure better recruits to come to your school over another school IS a competitive advantage. Yea it's not going to make the players you already have better, but it's going to likely allow you to get better players. Which school do you think the average 17 year old 5* athlete is gonna choose, Vanderbilt, or the school where he gets loads of cash and a yacht on which to bang hookers (also complimentary
laugh.gif
)?
Warren Sapp was basically saying, "Look this isn't hurting anybody and it's not going on in Columbus and Boise because they don't have all these beaches/strip clubs/night life etc." THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT: STRIP CLUBS, VIP CLUB ACCESS AND PROSTITUTES SHOULDN'T BE A PART OF WHAT INFLUENCES A KID'S DECISION ABOUT WHERE TO PLAY FOOTBALL. What happened to this debate being framed around the poor kid who just needs some money to take his girlfriend to dinner and a movie?
laugh.gif
Now we've got people saying all this extraneous stuff is just harmless fun so why make a big deal about it?
eyes.gif
 A guy like Tyrone Moss who had a kid to feed; I don't blame him for taking  a cash handshake. Hell, I don't blame any of the kids that took this stuff because they're young and impressionable. But that doesn't mean that there isn't something wrong with taking advantage of a kid's financial situation or hormones to get him to come play at your school. People keep giving the tired argument of "it's happening everywhere, all the elite schools are doing it!" as if that negates any moral or ethic concerns. The problem is you can't only worry about those things when it's convenient.

It's one thing to buy a player a shot at the bar after the game, it's another thing to have systemic provisions of alcohol and girls as a means of enticing kids to play for you. It reinforces kids making decisions based on cheap thrills and instant gratification rather than making calculated decisions based on the big picture. If I were deciding between two job opportunities, how absurd would it be if I said, "Yea, Company A has a great management team and a lot of potential for career advancement, it looks like a great place to start. Company B's managers seem clueless and there's no chance for promotion, BUT they are paying me $5000 more and the HR lady gave me a BJ during the interview, so I gotta go with those guys." It sounds ridiculous, but recruits go to schools that pay them the most money all the time. There's a saying about those kinda decisions, "Pennywise, but pound-foolish."

For all the talk about how the star players are making the schools all this money and deserve to be compensated, I don't hear anybody talking about how the school gives a full ride to the kids that never amount to anything on the field. If the argument is, "Hey, Tyrod Taylor's making my school a lot of money. It's not fair that he's not getting anything in return for it so we should pay him," Then I counter with the argument, "Hey, JuJu Clayton has been here 3 years and he's never gonna see the field. We're giving him a free ride to attend school, use of our athletic facilities, training staff, and nutritionists, as well as coaching and player development to prepare him for a possible NFL career where he can earn millions of dollars, and he can't even crack the starting lineup and help us win games? We need to cut his !$@ loose! He's not making us any money, what has he done for us lately?" You can't take a meritocratic/capitalistic approach only for the good players, and take the same approach we have now for the bad ones just because it's convenient. If you want to operate like a business, a whole hell of a lot of athletes are gonna be $%!# outta luck. 

I'm not saying that the NCAA isn't too strict in a lot of ways or that they aren't hypocritical, but a lot of athletes have a better deal than everybody thinks they do. For every star athlete "outperforming his contract" there are dozens of others who vastly underperform theirs; guys who only see the field for one of the four years that they are in school or not at all. Guys like the long snapper, or the backup punter. I probably put in twice as many hours of work a week as those guys did during school, we both made the school about the same amount of money, and you know what I got for it? A bajillion dollars in student loans and no job so far after college. I don't feel slighted by that at all; I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to even go to college since I know a lot of smart people that weren't fortunate enough to do so. 

Sometimes life isn't fair or you don't agree with the rules in place; that doesn't mean you aren't obligated to follow them. I think weed should be legal; that doesn't mean I'm gonna walk down the street smoking a joint and then get indignant when I get arrested and charged with possession. Yea I think it's a stupid rule, but I know it's there and I know there are consequences for breaking it, so I'm not gonna feel sorry for myself or anybody else who gets caught. The same applies here. There's no "I'm sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that," here. They DID know they couldn't do that and instead of talking about how they shouldn't make bad decisions they're trying to deflect blame onto the people that made the rules.

The funny thing is I'm finding myself having much more disdain for all the enablers trying to justify and downplay what happened than I do for what actually happened. I don't think Miami should get the death penalty and I don't think many of the guys caught up in this are necessarily bad people, but let's quit trying to polish a turd. 

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

For all the talk about how the star players are making the schools all this money and deserve to be compensated, I don't hear anybody talking about how the school gives a full ride to the kids that never amount to anything on the field. If the argument is, "Hey, Tyrod Taylor's making my school a lot of money. It's not fair that he's not getting anything in return for it so we should pay him," Then I counter with the argument, "Hey, JuJu Clayton has been here 3 years and he's never gonna see the field. We're giving him a free ride to attend school, use of our athletic facilities, training staff, and nutritionists, as well as coaching and player development to prepare him for a possible NFL career where he can earn millions of dollars, and he can't even crack the starting lineup and help us win games? We need to cut his !$@ loose! He's not making us any money, what has he done for us lately?" You can't take a meritocratic/capitalistic approach only for the good players, and take the same approach we have now for the bad ones just because it's convenient. If you want to operate like a business, a whole hell of a lot of athletes are gonna be $%!# outta luck. 

I'm not saying that the NCAA isn't too strict in a lot of ways or that they aren't hypocritical, but a lot of athletes have a better deal than everybody thinks they do. For every star athlete "outperforming his contract" there are dozens of others who vastly underperform theirs; guys who only see the field for one of the four years that they are in school or not at all. Guys like the long snapper, or the backup punter. I probably put in twice as many hours of work a week as those guys did during school, we both made the school about the same amount of money, and you know what I got for it? A bajillion dollars in student loans and no job so far after college. I don't feel slighted by that at all; I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to even go to college since I know a lot of smart people that weren't fortunate enough to do so. 

excellent post.

and not everyone seems to get that, everyone wants to look at the Star players "not getting whats deserved" and what about the other 60+ players on that team? the ones who get a free ride? for sitting on the bench for 4 years? no one sees it from both ends.

Miami isn't getting the Death Penalty, honestly I don't think anyone will ever get it again (no matter what the NCAA says). It cripples the athletic department and hurts the school. Football pays for every single sport (except for rare cases UK, Duke, etc). To eliminate football for a couple years is gotta put a huge strain on an already poor athletic department. SMU just recovered from the death penalty and that was 20+ years ago.l

The fact is Miami, isn't SMU. SMU got caught doing the same thing that landed them on probation, while on probation. The president of SMU was directly involved in paying the players and lied to the NCAA. Miami isn't the same case. I hate Miami a lot but even they don't deserve the death penalty.

For the antithesis to that article, listen to Seth Davis on Whitlock's podcast. Skip until they stop talking about Duke.

KingJames23 wrote:

The fact is Miami, isn't SMU. SMU got caught doing the same thing that landed them on probation, while on probation. The president of SMU was directly involved in paying the players and lied to the NCAA. Miami isn't the same case. I hate Miami a lot but even they don't deserve the death penalty.
They don't hear you though.
It's Miami. The school everybody hates and wants to see get the death penalty no matter how irrational or unjustified it may be.

Originally Posted by Weaponry Expert

KingJames23 wrote:

They don't hear you though.
It's Miami. The school everybody hates and wants to see get the death penalty no matter how irrational or unjustified it may be.

Ehh, I can't speak for everyone but even though I really dislike Miami fans (SWAG), I don't want to see Miami get the death penalty and don't think they deserve it.  It likely won't be as bad as opponents can make it out to be and not just a slap on the wrist that supporters are hoping for.
If even a decent amount of the allegations can be proven and just knowing the overall culture of college football, I bet they are, Miami does deserve some pretty harsh penalties.  Comments by former players, Paul Dee, even that Randy Shannon apparently wanted to do the right thing and keep players away from Shapiro imply that it was going on, at least to an extent, but that not enough was really done about it and that's where it becomes a problem in the eyes of the NCAA.

Somewhat similar to MLB & steroids after the Sosa/McGwire fiasco, this needs to be a wake up call to the NCAA that serious reform is needed.

excellent post.

and not everyone seems to get that, everyone wants to look at the Star players "not getting whats deserved" and what about the other 60+ players on that team? the ones who get a free ride? for sitting on the bench for 4 years? no one sees it from both ends.

yall call practicing *wink wink 20  hours (every school goes over the 20 hour limit) a week not counting weights and meetings, missing all holliday breaks and summers and not being able to work a real job to create income, a "free ride" ... really? 

why arent kids on full academic schollys sbject to the same rules as  athletes on full rides ?

players that sit on the bench for 4 years put just as much work in as the stars. Just because they arent stars doesnt mean they work less and deserve less. Some people really dont realize how many hours of work these kids put in. They dont see how much time they miss away from their family. They just see them on saturday and think thats all. When all the non-athletes are gone for thanksgiving and christmas break they are putting in work, film session, weights, chalk talk, practices, traveling and so forth.

Didnt les miles and others cut "non-stars" this past season as well?

I hate how easily people dismiss a free education to a University.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

If I mow your lawn and you repay me by buying me a gym membership (which I never wanted in the first place) do you think I am being "fairly" compensated?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

If I mow your lawn and you repay me by buying me a gym membership (which I never wanted in the first place) do you think I am being "fairly" compensated?
Real Bad comparison DC, more like you mow my lawn and I give you a COLLEGE DEGREE as long as you decide to mow my lawn and not go over and mow Jerry Jones lawn while getting paid by Nike to have their stuff on while mowing said lawn.  People seem to forget for over every Superstar at the U, there are like 10 bums who realistically have NO CHANCE IN HELL of making it to the NFL/NBA but you still get the perks of a superstar player.

Yet the same universities put those kids in the classes that arent even relevant to their core work or for their respective majors. the classes are only to try and keep the kids eligible so they can play and excel at their sport.  

Not a bad argument at all. The point is I am getting paid by a currency that I am not even interested in IN the first place. So nobody has the right to say, "That should be enough. You should be happy you are getting that." Really? Even though I never wanted it?

excellent post.

you seriously must not be a college athlete or know one!

them 60+ players that you think sit on the bench and get a free ride for 4 years put in work that 90% of the world wouldnt do AT ALL!

they practice in the heat during 3 a days
they have to learn a playbook thats thicker then every Harry Potter book put together
they wake up at 5am when you sleep running sprints and up downs till 10 then go straight to class and when they come back from class they have film mettings
they have to attend meetings and practice 6 days out of the week AND STILL GO TO CLASS
they have to get hit and ran over constantly by some of the best players in the nation.......(can you imagine being a tackling dummy or drill buddy with Trent Richardson from Bama?
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
)
just a month of that will put a tear on your body physically and mentally (you see the NFL players are trying hard not to add extra games)

you cant just look at what goes on on Saturday! Look at what each player commits to behind the scenes and the amount of time and work they put in from the starters to the 3rd string to the walk ons.....its no where near a free ride!

Then on top of that ask your self......where do they have time to work a part time job to put money in the pocket? they dont!.....most of these players come from single parent homes and cant call mom or dad for a few $100 and dont have time to work a job like the average college student........so why not reward them? just saying

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

You signed up to mow my lawn. Didnt force you to. By "mowing my lawn" Im giving you a chance to better your life after you are done "cutting lawns" whether that be after college or the pros. Not to mention all the free food, travel, and lodging im giving you on top of that free education for "cutting my lawn"

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yet the same universities put those kids in the classes that arent even relevant to their core work or for their respective majors. the classes are only to try and keep the kids eligible so they can play and excel at their sport.  

Thats on those kids for not taking their education more seriously. There are plenty of examples of athletes getting degrees outside of communications and general studies.

Hate to say it, but this will continue to go on. How will giving the U the death penalty deter rogue boosters from giving money to players and players from taking money. It might force schools to thoroughly investigate situations but it can't stop the reward structure from going on.

If I'm a multi millionaire that went to South Carolina what's stopping me from giving Marcus Lattimore a Benz or 50 stacks for having a good game. You can stop me from approaching him on campus, but I still might find him in the mall, club, restaurant, etc. What's stopping him from taking it? Only morals. But the world can't operate on an honor system. In order for people to behave the right way as a whole, we set up rules and regulations to deter people from doing the wrong thing.

I feel like punishing the schools isn't much of a deterrent to prevent boosters from hooking up players.

Originally Posted by PleaseSayTheBaby23

excellent post.

you seriously must not be a college athlete or know one!

them 60+ players that you think sit on the bench and get a free ride for 4 years put in work that 90% of the world wouldnt do AT ALL!

they practice in the heat during 3 a days
they have to learn a playbook thats thicker then every Harry Potter book put together
they wake up at 5am when you sleep running sprints and up downs till 10 then go straight to class and when they come back from class they have film mettings
they have to attend meetings and practice 6 days out of the week AND STILL GO TO CLASS
they have to get hit and ran over constantly by some of the best players in the nation.......(can you imagine being a tackling dummy or drill buddy with Trent Richardson from Bama?
eek.gif
embarassed.gif
)
just a month of that will put a tear on your body physically and mentally (you see the NFL players are trying hard not to add extra games)

you cant just look at what goes on on Saturday! Look at what each player commits to behind the scenes and the amount of time and work they put in from the starters to the 3rd string to the walk ons.....its no where near a free ride!

Then on top of that ask your self......where do they have time to work a part time job to put money in the pocket? they dont!.....most of these players come from single parent homes and cant call mom or dad for a few $100 and dont have time to work a job like the average college student........so why not reward them? just saying
I never said these guys didn't work hard, because I know that they do. My point was that all that hard work still isn't translating to results on the field and earning money for the school, which is the argument that was being made. If someone's benefits package is directly correlating to their value to the school, a lot of guys are overpaid. 
While I wasn't obligated to do anything physically as taxing as a football player, I still ended up putting in more hours doing work than most of them would put in (football and schoolwork combined). The last two years I was in school I probably averaged 4 hours of sleep a night, and had to stay up for 2-3 days at a time on dozens of occasions. Waking up at 5am? I was usually going to BED at 5am. Even when I'd get home earlier than that I often couldn't get to sleep until 6 or 7 am due to being so wound up. I rarely had time to go out on the weekends and a job was totally out of the question. I had a couple friends that spent far more time at my apartment than I did and they didn't even live there. 

All that being said I don't think it's ridiculous for the players to get compensation for what they're doing; but don't act like they don't already have a decent set up. A lot of them wouldn't have a shot at being able to afford a college education or even gain admission academically to some of these places. 

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Hate to say it, but this will continue to go on. How will giving the U the death penalty deter rogue boosters from giving money to players and players from taking money. It might force schools to thoroughly investigate situations but it can't stop the reward structure from going on.

If I'm a multi millionaire that went to South Carolina what's stopping me from giving Marcus Lattimore a Benz or 50 stacks for having a good game. You can stop me from approaching him on campus, but I still might find him in the mall, club, restaurant, etc. What's stopping him from taking it? Only morals. But the world can't operate on an honor system. In order for people to behave the right way as a whole, we set up rules and regulations to deter people from doing the wrong thing.

I feel like punishing the schools isn't much of a deterrent to prevent boosters from hooking up players.
Thats why you dont punish the players or school or even the fans n the community

you go after the ADULTS aka the Coaches!

any 17-23 year old can easily be persuaded by a multi millionaire........but it the coaches job to keep them players from that! point blank period!

I hate when coaches say o I didnt know that was goin on or he didnt seem like a bad guy pshhhhhhhhhh�
eyes.gif
get outta here

A coach is like your parent away from home! I dont know about yall but where im from parents know EVERY little thing you do and if they dont they raise you to make SMART decisions on your own.....why you think you hear so many players say coach so and so is like a father? cause thats what they are supposed to do

My mom worked all day in my High School days and my high school coach was like my parent! Not only did he get on to me on the field but he looked out and watched over me off the field......we would talk about everything managing money, the bible, sports, school, fast girls trying to trap you......and it wasnt just me! it was every player and teammate on that roster. We had a bond and a faith with our coach and he had a close tight grip on us so we wouldnt go out and do dumb stuff. Thats how a coach should be!

so if a player is gettin money from a booster it should be on the coaches cause we wouldnt know no better if we are not guided or blocked away from that

I bet if everyone in this thread was playing a D1 college and you had a booster see how you was into sneakers and stuff n one day say hey man "I see you like sneakers how bout whenever you make a big play ima buy you what ever sneaker you want NO MATTER the price.....if you do extra ill throw in $700.....o and come to my party tonight I got all dimes on deck for you" mannnnnnnn 100% of yall would be sold! no doubt......and thats 100% the coaches fault cause for 1 he shouldnt let these type of people get close to you at all and if they do you should know "coach wouldnt go for this"

now I think NCAA athletes should get some form of pay like minimum wage 40 hours a week and give em a check every 2 weeks like a normal college student would get or something like that

but if you got players getting $20,000 here n there or getting a brand new Dodge Challenger THAT should be unacceptable

Jimmy Johnson had a good method of keeping players out or away from trouble

Back
Top Bottom