The Top TV Executives Sat Down For A Roundtable Discussion

David Nevins (Showtime), Kevin Reilly (Fox Broadcasting), John Landgraf (FX Network) and Ted Sarandos (Netflix) join THR executive editor Matt Belloni and THR television editor Lacey Rose for a candid conversation on the direction of television.

These dudes are really breaking the current television business landscape down. They're also throwing shots at each other the entire way through.

I love The Hollywood Reporter's vids like this... Disappointed though, not 1 minority in that group....

Listened at work really insightful video, pretty cool hearing all of them talk about the biz and even shows they missed on....Lmao Landgraf isn't really a fan of Netflix's practices :rofl: as far as releasing data and viewership numbers. It was cool bc Sarandos is in a different realm in a way than the others and its interesting to see how the relationship btwn networks and Netflix and how people choose to catch up on things. Thanks OP. Wonder how the others think about Netflix trying to potentially work a deal with major cable providers as well. Cable tv is SOOOOO much different than the network shows with how advertising and even the need to reboot and make new shows in the heat of the moment for pilots, really dope. The shots at NBC though :rofl:

Also agree about there not being one minority there but not surprising at all

Last edited:
Networks better get with the program. These dinosaurs want to follow age old paradigms by constantly throwing schlop against the wall to see what sticks instead of putting together good shows. Thank goodness for cable channels like HBO, FX, & AMC putting together great shows. It forced the major networks to make at least some changes. Love what Spacey had to say in the vid below...

Yea you could tell those dudes are not really rocking with eachother outside of that discussion.

It's obvious that Netflix is CRUSHING the game, and the rest of the industry is trying to figure out how they can adjust.

It's interesting how they broke down the accounting and nuts and bolts of advertising.

I think it's cool that there was a whole subliminal chess game going on during the whole conversation.

They covered alot of topics. Pilots, where the money in TV comes from and goes, etc.

I wouldn't say Netflix is crushing the game but they are changing the paradigm & created a new model. The whole TV pilot system is backwards & an incredible waste of money, time, & resources IMO. It's basically a process of thowing ish against the wall to see what sticks.

Yeah I hate watching tv pilots bc half of em will get cancelled after 1 season or hell not even make it thru season 1. Even some of these shows I wouldn't mind shorter seasons like cable tv has...like 20+ eps is overkill and story lines get old real quick...one thing I appreciate about British shows is they leave you wanting more vs hating how your show becomes overstaurated and weak. definitely a balance though...currently the only network shows I even watch are Parks & Rec, Modern Family, and person of interest (I;m behind on that too) and thats about it :lol:
AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime >>>>>>>>>>. Yet to eve nwatch the netflix originals but intend to based on what everyone says

Networks better get with the program. These dinosaurs want to follow age old paradigms by constantly throwing schlop against the wall to see what sticks instead of putting together good shows. Thank goodness for cable channels like HBO, FX, & AMC putting together great shows. It forced the major networks to make at least some changes. Love what Spacey had to say in the vid below...

Kevin Spacey knows :nthat:

He even pronounced the word ".gif" correctly :lol:

[/quote]

Kevin Spacey knows :nthat:

He even pronounced the word ".gif" correctly :lol:[/quote]

been sayin it wrong i guess lol

David Nevins (Showtime), Kevin Reilly (Fox Broadcasting), John Landgraf (FX Network) and Ted Sarandos (Netflix) join THR executive editor Matt Belloni and THR television editor Lacey Rose for a candid conversation on the direction of television.

These dudes are really breaking the current television business landscape down. They're also throwing shots at each other the entire way through.

P4L

We need some black tv execs 
nerd.gif
IMO

Just got a chance to watch this. Really great insight.

I especially liked their views on Netflix and how they view it as a necessary evil. I know people that have legit dropped cable and just use Netflix. I have also heard people say "I'll just wait for it to hit Netflix". So I definitely understand their frustrations/fears with not being able to keep a show within their universe.

Great clip tho. Thanks for posting this OP.

Back
Top Bottom