The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Got to talking watches with an old friend. He sounds like he's about to pull the trigger on a Panera. I forget which.

But it activated my thirst for a new piece something terrible :smh:

That pic didn't help either.

I actually wasn't impressed with Panerai to be honest. It kept horrible time and wasn't my style.

He's fond of them. I'm not. Which is why I can't even recall the model. I don't know them at all.

Daytona or Portuguese Chrono is likely my next piece.

Last edited:
^ Hang tight and see if Rolex announces the ceramic Daytona at Basel (even though if they do, the wait list will inevitably be a mile long).

View media item 1894108
I like Panerai, and would love to own a Luminor, but I can't get down with watches that big. Plus, I have about a dozen pieces I want to acquire before I get into the brand.

^ Hang tight and see if Rolex announces the ceramic Daytona at Basel (even though if they do, the wait list will inevitably be a mile long).

View media item 1894108
I like Panerai, and would love to own a Luminor, but I can't get down with watches that big. Plus, I have about a dozen pieces I want to acquire before I get into the brand.

I'm patiently waiting, I already called my local dealer and offered 1000 premium to be first. Daytona needs an overhaul bad.

Disagree, Daytona needs to stay as it is.

Add a ceramic bezel to the SS model and it'll breathe new life to it but really, there are still cities that can't keep them in stock.

Yawn. The current SS Daytonas do nothing for me. Adding a ceramic bezel will certainly pique my interest, and based on the reaction over on Rolex Forums, most people agree with me.

Also rumored is this "blueberry" GMT to replace the current BLNR, which makes zero sense to me. Perhaps if it had a navy dial...

View media item 1894510

Everyone's been holding their breath for a ceramic bezel SS Daytona ever since the platinum version came out, people drooling for it is nothing new, people pray to heavens every Basel for it to come out :rofl:

Dude said Daytona needs an overhaul, ceramic bezel on the SS model isn't an overhaul because the ceramic bezel already exist. An overhaul means altered face, new size, almost everything new... and I completely disagree with that train of though.

The classic needs to stay classic though. If you want an updated Daytona look, check out Tudors Fastriders.

So by your definition the ceramic Sub that came out a few years ago wasn't an overhaul of the previous generation(s)?

I wouldn't call it an overhaul, at first glance it is still the Sub, outside of the shinier ceramic bezel (which the normal bystander probably won't be able to tell the two apart) and the thicker lugs (which again, something only a WIS would probably notice) there really aren't any changes that makes you go "hey, is this a Submariner?"

Other upgrades for the better like glidelock system and solid links aren't exactly overhauls to me either just improvements and doesn't take away from the Sub look at all. Biggest appearance difference to be are the bigger indices but it's still a true Sub to me.

Since Rolex doesn't really overhauls much outside of maybe their Cellini line so a few tweaks might be considered an overhaul to some but not to me. But yeah, what I consider an overhaul is like Tag the countless changes they've made to their lines like the Aquaracer, it's like a new watch every 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Fair points. Agree to disagree. The ceramic Sub, in my eyes, is a completely different watch than the previous gens. And most WIS would agree.

On the topic of Subs, my LV should be coming in tomorrow :smokin

Fair points. Agree to disagree. The ceramic Sub, in my eyes, is a completely different watch than the previous gens. And most WIS would agree.

On the topic of Subs, my LV should be coming in tomorrow :smokin

Amazing choice, my favorite SS Rolex at the moment. I have been having regrets buying the BLNR and the price has been dropping rapidly, but thankfully my hulk has been standing still price-wise.

As for the Daytona conversation, what one considers overhaul is just a matter of opinion, I don't care for tags at all so I guess I have nothing to compare it to. With Rolex there are subtle changes yes, but enough to disrupt the entire watch community. With that being said, I own two daytonas (TT slate and 18k yg on strap) and neither of them have left my safe in a very long time because I feel like an old man wearing them. The ceramic bezel is a breath of fresh air, considering that the Daytona is the most complicated Rolex model currently being sold it only makes sense that they put a little more love into it. You could say the white dial model is reminiscent of the Paul Newman which I really admire.

Last edited:
Smart move, I've been waiting for this to come out at baselworld with a revised ceramic bezel for two years now. I don't think Rolex will ever make my dream come true.
I don't think they will either lol

This one is a little older than I wanted, but I couldn't find anyone willing to trade for a PAM until I found DavidSW so I acted quick.

Next up is something gold... 
devil.gif

Amazing choice, my favorite SS Rolex at the moment. I have been having regrets buying the BLNR and the price has been dropping rapidly, but thankfully my hulk has been standing still price-wise.

When the BLNR was first announced a couple of years back, the first thing I did was call the AD and put my name on the list, but for whatever reason I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I think my issue with the BLNR (and new GMTs in general) is the polished centre links - I just find them to be way too flashy. But still to this day I keep flip-flopping about whether or not I like the watch overall and whether or not I want it. We'll see though. I think trying to acquire another 114060 (no-date Sub) comes ahead of the BLNR. I've been full of regret every single day since I got rid of it last year.

BIGBOSS: Very nice GMT! What year is it? That particular GMT might be how I make my first foray into the world of vintage/older Rolexes.

I got over the polished link quickly on the Batmans, main thing that bothered me was the date cyclops, it still bothers me to this day but the good outweighs the bad.

Daytona is also going to have polished links, including the ceramic bezel SS if it comes out so you got to get over it quick. :lol:

I got over the polished link quickly on the Batmans, main thing that bothered me was the date cyclops, it still bothers me to this day but the good outweighs the bad.

Daytona is also going to have polished links, including the ceramic bezel SS if it comes out so you got to get over it quick. :lol:

I thought I read in a few places that the date cyclops can be removed. No?

I thought I read in a few places that the date cyclops can be removed. No?

It can but the cyclops has anti-reflective underneath or something so it leaves a shadowy figure.

For those who wants a Sub without the cyclops though, the Sea-Dwellers a good option if you don't mind it a bit thicker.

^ That's a beauty, and this is coming from someone who hates Breitling.

My first nice watch was a Breitling Super Avenger. This was like 5 years ago. You'll have a Rolex soon enough :smile:

^thanks. I didnt think i wanted a Breitling either until I tried it on, but fell in love with it.

Back
Top Bottom