The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Yup can't go wrong. I love my Sub.

Can never go wrong with the Sub!

2ivmyr8.jpg

Last edited:
I know many will cringe but I do feel the black Sub can be worn with a suit while the green, not so much.
I think both can we worn with a suit.. obviously you don't want some sort of over the top suit and accessories going with it (which I doubt any of us really would do anyways)

but as Im sure you know, the one true bond pulled it off with a tux

Last edited:
The green is cool but if it is going to be one and only Sub, I'd personally go with black.

I just find it to be more versatile and less conspicuous than the green.

I know many will cringe but I do feel the black Sub can be worn with a suit while the green, not so much.

I certainly agree the black is more versatile if it's going to be you're one and only...

But the green still works well with a suit.

D.O wears his all the time with a suit..

View media item 1341894

Again personal preference, I just don't dig it, it stands out too much with a suit for my liking.

I mean plenty already disapprove of sport watches with suits (I don't agree but I see where they are coming from) so being green just pushes even farther.

Last edited:
Again personal preference, I just don't dig it, it stands out too much with a suit for my liking.

I mean plenty already disapprove of sport watches with suits (I don't agree but I see where they are coming from) so being green just pushes even farther.

I hear you. It's all down to personal preference. I was just adding another visual example for "itsaboutthattime" to look at.

Not a fan of sport watches (chronos, divers) with suits, especially those with bold bezels, dials, etc. But then again, a majority of people wear them on a daily basis with their work suit. One situation I would not wear a sports watch are formal occasions, IMO it is better to wear a watch that fits under your sleeve or to not wear one at all in that particular situation. Just remember a majority of people do no care what is on your wrist, buy something you will actually actually wear and enjoy with some decent re-sale value just in case you decide to sell it down the line.

I think I'm going go with the green.. on top of loving the color.. the submariner is a very popular watch and obviously the black face and bezel is all over the place (with the stainless steel)

but may getting this yacht master kinda soonish anyways (whenever I make the step to go get married to my girl):

Last edited:
RFX i have a question..

How often do you wind your sub? For example if you wear your sub for a couple weeks and then set it down for a week or so do you need to rewind? 

RFX i have a question..
How often do you wind your sub? For example if you wear your sub for a couple weeks and then set it down for a week or so do you need to rewind? 

You wind when the movement stops, 30-40 times, in depth video here..

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
RFX i have a question..

As stated above, 30-40 turns will suffice.

Power reserve on the watch is about 48 hours so if I don't touch it for two days I'd have to manually wind it to power it up again.

This is one the reasons why I do a 2 watch rotation so I can avoid manually winding as much as possible.

As stated above, 30-40 turns will suffice.

Power reserve on the watch is about 48 hours so if I don't touch it for two days I'd have to manually wind it to power it up again.

This is one the reasons why I do a 2 watch rotation so I can avoid manually winding as much as possible.

Is manual winding bad for the watch? I don't wear my carrera for weeks on end.

Nah, it's not bad, these watches are made to be manually wound.

I am just lazy and the screw-in crown makes winding a bit more of a task. :lol:

With that said, manually winding does put more stress on the crown because you have to screw and unscrew it. Not something I'd worry about because again that is it's job and when you get your watches serviced in 5-10-15 years then the watchmaker will see it and fix it anyways but it is also good to keep that in mind as a possibility however minute the chances are.

Is there any bad side to never letting the time stop?
Been wearing my new watch pretty much exclusively
and when I put it on in the morning its still moving, so
it never gets a break. Homages I've had in the past
would need to be set after an hour or two of being
idle & would constantly need to be wound.

Not bad at all but it depends on your point of view (and this is also pretty much the same argument with watch winders).

Some say it is best to keep the watch moving as it moves the oil around and get it moving and lubricates all the cogs and gears. It is best to let it work as intended and when it comes to watch winder, just make sure you get one that works right (I know this wasn't part of your question).

Then the other side of that argument is that moving parts will always have friction and the oil helps in that but there is still that friction and there will be wear and tear. The oils in these day and in age are also clean and pure enough that it isn't bad to just let it sit for months or years.

Most watchmakers say it is best to just let the watch sit if you aren't going use it and just wind it when you're going to use it but then again Vacheron COnstantin themselves suggest using a watch winder on their automatic watches to maintain it's accuracy and prolong it's life.

Both side have very valid points and it is up to you which side you go with.

Now if you are simply wearing your watch everyday, then that is perfectly fine, the watch is made to work that way so enjoy it as much as you can. Create memories and stories with it.

As for your homages, how much do you wind it before you wear them? Most need at least 30-40 turns to get the max power reserve which is typically 42-48 hours minimum on an automatic watch however there are some that can only be powered up by swinging/wearing them (you can't hand wind them to get power) and it usually take a few days of constant wear to get it to full power (like Orient watches). If the watch is a manual wind then you'd have to wind it every day (or two) to maintain power or else it'll die no matter what, like the Omega Speedmaster Pro. Most of those explanations in this last paragraph is probably better written in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:
nato strap looks clean, now tempted to get one for my sub.

I thought the same exact thing to myself. Probably do a little online shopping when I get home now :lol:

Nicely done.
Preciate it fellas. The NATO def adds a bit of
character to the watch. Really dope when the
sun hits it too. Kopped olive & grey straps, but
may have to go back and get black as I dont
think I'll be putting the bracelet back on lol. Great
service from gnomonwatches too.

@RFX45
  @eiddyfouw
  whats your guys opinions on montblanc watches?

I like Montblanc for what it is. It still has that stigma of a pen maker making watches but that is a good thing if you're a fan because that means you can buy them on a good discount. Then again on the flipside, resell is bad but if it is going to be a keeper them why not. I like their Timewalker line, just wished it was smaller but overall it's a nice and simple design. They have been doing big things lately too, they have a Perpetual Calendar coming with an unprecedented price, I believe it is about $12k-$13k? The cheapest one you could get before was from JLC and that cost around $20k and with the amount of discount you could get with Montblancs, that is going to be an amazing deal. Of course movement ins't in-house but for that price and function and that price, you will never find one like it. Looks are subjective so it's up to you.

That specific model you posted, the Homage to RS is a very nice watch. IIRC it is the one with the invisible hour lume, no? You only see the numerals in the dark? Or is it there a limited edition that has that? I believe it also has an in-house chrono movement and that is always a plus.

Anyways, it's a nice watch and definitely unique. Being limited and having an in-house might give it better resale value if that is up to consideration.

Back
Top Bottom