The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

So a 30 year old car that’s been sitting in a barn doesn’t need an oil change? Ok sure. I mean I guess if you never wear your watch you never need to service it. But regular maintenance is definitely recommended. You don’t want that lubrication just sitting there in your watch. And seals have been known to dry and fail. It’s a watch. Wear it. Put it on a wonder or not. It doesn’t really matter. But letting something just sit there is just as bad if not worse for longevity than using it for it’s intended purpose which is everyday wear.

I think you missread what i said.

I said stretch out your service, not delete it.

So for instance if you had a service scheduled at the 5 year mark, but rarely wore your watch, didnt keep it on a winder, you could blow that out and service it at say 7 years. The movement hasnt moved, youve given it a run every so often. So as long as you havent dropped or banged it, theres no ware and tear.

As opposed to dude number 2, who keeps his on a winder permanently, wears his every couple of week, who definitely should service at the 5 year mark.

However, keeping watches on winder enters the realms of opinion, and opinion differs.

But most watch makers say to avoid them, due to the reasons ive stated, and others, such as the possibility of overwinding, which is possible on some watches, and other factors.

At the end of the day, its your watch, do your own research.

You want to keep your engine running 24 hours a day forever…….go for it.

Good sub $1k GMT’s recommendations? Been getting back into watches and would like a nice GMT to travel with. Prefer metal bracelet.

Was looking into Steinhart’s.

Opinions on the modern Seiko 5s?

Been wanting a sporty/casual watch with a green dial and/or bezel but I don't wanna spend that much. The SRPD61 has caught my eye and I'm strongly considering it

Screenshot_20220906_183320.jpg

Opinions on the modern Seiko 5s?

Been wanting a sporty/casual watch with a green dial and/or bezel but I don't wanna spend that much. The SRPD61 has caught my eye and I'm strongly considering it

Screenshot_20220906_183320.jpg
I have a couple of them, cant go wrong. About to buy another to have it modded. Modded is a fun affair.

Good sub $1k GMT’s recommendations? Been getting back into watches and would like a nice GMT to travel with. Prefer metal bracelet.

Was looking into Steinhart’s.
Baltic Aquascaphe GMT is a nice one for right around 1k on a bracelet, but imo it looks better on the strap as I don't really like their bracelet design.

I think you missread what i said.

I said stretch out your service, not delete it.

So for instance if you had a service scheduled at the 5 year mark, but rarely wore your watch, didnt keep it on a winder, you could blow that out and service it at say 7 years. The movement hasnt moved, youve given it a run every so often. So as long as you havent dropped or banged it, theres no ware and tear.

As opposed to dude number 2, who keeps his on a winder permanently, wears his every couple of week, who definitely should service at the 5 year mark.

However, keeping watches on winder enters the realms of opinion, and opinion differs.

But most watch makers say to avoid them, due to the reasons ive stated, and others, such as the possibility of overwinding, which is possible on some watches, and other factors.

At the end of the day, its your watch, do your own research.

You want to keep your engine running 24 hours a day forever…….go for it.

eh, maybe. the lubrication will still deteriorate with age. same reason manufacturers advise to get an oil change every 10k miles or 1 year, whichever happens first.

I mean, dont take my word for it, like im making it up….

“Like a high-performance sports car, your mechanical watch needs to be serviced now and then. In timepiece argot such treatment is called a “complete overhaul,” and although that’s mostly accurate, it’s also a little misleading. It refers, in essence, to a tune-up, but what does it really mean? For some answers, we turned to a panel of industry leaders: Florin Niculescu, vice president of product development at Parmigiani Fleurier; Maximilian Büsser, founder and CEO of MB&F, who spent time at Harry Winston Rare Timepieces and Jaeger-LeCoultr…

It depends on how much and how often the watch is worn, and how it is stored when off the wrist. The more the watch is worn the better. As a rule of thumb, a watch should be overhauled approximately every four to five years. If it is worn regularly and stored properly, one could wait longer.”

Büsser is more circumspect, recommending every three to five years “maximum.” Boutros concurs. “For modern watches, we recommend a complete movement service every three to five years if the watch is worn frequently,” he says, a sentiment echoed by Sberro, who observes that “fine watches are like fine automobiles and require care and maintenance to keep their performance. We suggest servicing every three to five years.”

“If a watch is worn sparingly, such as a few times per month or less, servicing can take place less often,” Boutros adds. “However, when worn infrequently, it’s important to wind and run the watch at least once a month to keep the movement’s parts lubricated. To prevent rusting and ensure oils do not completely dry, a service should take place within 10 years.”

Wife been going into Swatch for me a lot to get the moon swatches and guess it paid off when the sales associate sold her a moon one they were holding for someone else. Guess it also helped that she’s super pregnant and maybe he felt bad that she has to go in daily to check

Attachments

• CD9E7186-7669-4855-97EC-E8189200D7D7.jpeg
    CD9E7186-7669-4855-97EC-E8189200D7D7.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 5FE09F08-C319-4490-9DF9-B9838DB6B1D5.jpeg
    5FE09F08-C319-4490-9DF9-B9838DB6B1D5.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 8C49478C-BF7B-4EB2-95D5-46406E6B1239.jpeg
    8C49478C-BF7B-4EB2-95D5-46406E6B1239.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 068BF2E8-C1FA-4488-A70E-A9B8AF035074.jpeg
    068BF2E8-C1FA-4488-A70E-A9B8AF035074.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 29C6AC61-7D41-4EE5-899A-69D3BCF0718E.jpeg
    29C6AC61-7D41-4EE5-899A-69D3BCF0718E.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 155
Ive been having a hard time deciding on which watch to cop. Think I’m just gonna get that mission to Mars moonswatch until I make a legit decision on what I want lol. skaterplayer808 skaterplayer808 which store? Been thinking about asking a friend to check out the Dallas store for me.

New everyday watch; Seiko SRPD61

I was torn between this or the Orient Kamasu in green. Went with this Seiko cause I liked the design more and don't really care about the 100m WR/lack of screw down crown.
Surprisingly I don't hate the bracelet at all, but then again I've been using a $18 Amazon bracelet on my Casio Duro for almost a year.

Someday I'll splurge on a big boy watch but this will do for now.

SRPD61.jpg
SRPD61a.jpg

Ive been having a hard time deciding on which watch to cop. Think I’m just gonna get that mission to Mars moonswatch until I make a legit decision on what I want lol. skaterplayer808 skaterplayer808 which store? Been thinking about asking a friend to check out the Dallas store for me.
Honolulu store. They have a good batch almost every day but sell out pretty quick. It’s not like they even release them at opening either so you gotta go when they “get the shipment”

New everyday watch; Seiko SRPD61

I was torn between this or the Orient Kamasu in green. Went with this Seiko cause I liked the design more and don't really care about the 100m WR/lack of screw down crown.
Surprisingly I don't hate the bracelet at all, but then again I've been using a $18 Amazon bracelet on my Casio Duro for almost a year.

Someday I'll splurge on a big boy watch but this will do for now.

SRPD61.jpg
SRPD61a.jpg
I was thinking about the Orient in the same color but I wasn't in love with it. I did like the style and the Seiko is similar in look to my SKX.. but seeing this one might have swayed me

Where did you grab this from? Do they still have them in boutiques? I'm late to the dress watch game but the Tank Must is a... must.

i got it from cartier.com but was ordered through customer service but dont worry, the black tank must was set to release this month so its only about to hit ADs very soon, boutiques just got some stock last week

the small version can be added on cartier.com at this second but not the large version

i got it from cartier.com but was ordered through customer service but dont worry, the black tank must was set to release this month so its only about to hit ADs very soon, boutiques just got some stock last week

the small version can be added on cartier.com at this second but not the large version
I'm waiting for the call on the gold. Hope it arrives soon

Any bikers in here?

I'm wondering if wearing automatic watches while on two wheels does any appreciable damage to them.

I'm waiting for the call on the gold. Hope it arrives soon

should be soon, it was put on the website also though not for order

let us know when you get it, i wouldve opted for it if it was rose gold instead of yellow though the grey dialed version looks good in rg too

1662754941996.jpeg

Any bikers in here?

I'm wondering if wearing automatic watches while on two wheels does any appreciable damage to them.

you only have to worry about the vibrations being harmful in the long run but probably more of an issue if you’re riding something like a chopper than a race bike but even then most watches are probably gon be fine for modern watches

Back
Top Bottom