The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Rolex definitely has been decreasing supply, so much so that they are sending AD's little covers for the displays so it doesn't look like they're missing so many watches. Talk to your local AD and they will tell you that last year they were getting a submariner every week, and it is now taking 3-4.

I just put a deposit on my new AP yesterday. The dealer echoed what I was hearing from Torneau and Hyde Park about their Rolex allocations. The salespersons were all complaining to me because they aren't getting enough watches to get their commissions. If they could get everyone what they wanted, they would.

I guess of course, you could argue that the actual owners are backdooring shipments before they hit the showcase.

it's just hard to believe because the market is actually flooded with sports models, you can really get what you want anytime... you just got to pay double for it

grey market seems to be full of these watches and they get their watches from ADs

if you're an AD, who do you want to please... first your big spenders that buys numerous watches from you for retail and some celebs perhaps that can get your some good word of mouth from other big spenders...

then your grey market shops who also buys your other models that do not sell, they can tell these grey markets stores, "hey, here's a ss skydweller for retail which you can sell for 25k but you got to buy 3 cellinis and 2 other rolex in precious metal that has been sitting for a year now... this way they can get more stuff from rolex and they do not lose their account

and thirdly if they have no choice, those new buyers that will be on the list for years

to me, even the sales person i trust the most, i only trust and listen to the sob stories to a certain extent, i think demand has just tripled..quadrupled while stock remains the same

that's how i see it at least, i see no reason for them to do it when they are already the number in the watch world when it comes to demand and no one else really comes close in sheer of number of desired watch... if it was tudor on the other hand then that i can see just because they are trending up and becoming more scarce

Just check out Chrono24. Hundreds of listings for hyped pieces at a premium. What shortage? It's just frustrating. :lol: As much as I want to throw money at my AD, they just don't want to deal these days. Those they deal with, flip it right away once they get it. Smh.

Rolex definitely has been decreasing supply, so much so that they are sending AD's little covers for the displays so it doesn't look like they're missing so many watches. Talk to your local AD and they will tell you that last year they were getting a submariner every week, and it is now taking 3-4.

I just put a deposit on my new AP yesterday. The dealer echoed what I was hearing from Torneau and Hyde Park about their Rolex allocations. The salespersons were all complaining to me because they aren't getting enough watches to get their commissions. If they could get everyone what they wanted, they would.

I guess of course, you could argue that the actual owners are backdooring shipments before they hit the showcase.

Which AP? I ended up getting a 15400 black dial on the grey market. Didn’t even try going through an AD.

Decided to pick up a Bambino as my next watch.

Can't decide which one though.

orient-2nd-generation-bambino-automatic-mens-watch-fac00009n0--.jpg

Which AP? I ended up getting a 15400 black dial on the grey market. Didn’t even try going through an AD.

They're getting me the new 26470SO offshore. I really wanted the ghost 26470IO but i feel like that won't be coming for a very long time. Congrats on the 15400, i'm sure you're really enjoying that bracelet.

Edit: here's a photo of them side by side and a link, they're not out yet but are due any day now.

IMG_4424.jpg

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyl...c-bezel-the-dark-knight-live-pictures-pricing

Last edited:
it's just hard to believe because the market is actually flooded with sports models, you can really get what you want anytime... you just got to pay double for it

grey market seems to be full of these watches and they get their watches from ADs

if you're an AD, who do you want to please... first your big spenders that buys numerous watches from you for retail and some celebs perhaps that can get your some good word of mouth from other big spenders...

then your grey market shops who also buys your other models that do not sell, they can tell these grey markets stores, "hey, here's a ss skydweller for retail which you can sell for 25k but you got to buy 3 cellinis and 2 other rolex in precious metal that has been sitting for a year now... this way they can get more stuff from rolex and they do not lose their account

and thirdly if they have no choice, those new buyers that will be on the list for years

to me, even the sales person i trust the most, i only trust and listen to the sob stories to a certain extent, i think demand has just tripled..quadrupled while stock remains the same

that's how i see it at least, i see no reason for them to do it when they are already the number in the watch world when it comes to demand and no one else really comes close in sheer of number of desired watch... if it was tudor on the other hand then that i can see just because they are trending up and becoming more scarce

I do believe you make very valid points, I think it's important to consider that quantity can effectively cheapen the brand in the consumers eyes.

And you're right about the grey market dealers, I have a friend who does just that. Distant buddy of mine is buying entire stocks from stores in Mexico and places like the Virgin Islands who are still recovering from the hurricanes and don't have any tourists spending money. He gets all the SS sky's and DaytonaC's but is also having to pick up midsize yachtmasters along with them.

They're getting me the new 26470SO offshore. I really wanted the ghost 26470IO but i feel like that won't be coming for a very long time. Congrats on the 15400, i'm sure you're really enjoying that bracelet.

Edit: here's a photo of them side by side and a link, they're not out yet but are due any day now.

IMG_4424.jpg

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyl...c-bezel-the-dark-knight-live-pictures-pricing

ghost is beautiful. i considered getting an elephant, but just ended up going with the 15400, because i was still concerned about the size without being able to try one on in person. i actually feel like the 15400 is a little small.

and speaking of controlling allocations, i believe it is AP that is doing it the most right now, seems they cut back on ADs carrying their watches but they also aren't shipping as many ROs so that they start selling at retail instead of discounted at ADs and the result is making the those watches going up on the secondary market

and back to rolex in regards to quantity hurting their perceptive value, i don't think that is going to happen anytime soon and as long as they keep their restraint, they'd have to go Omega level with the different variations of a single model and releasing limited editions in what feels like every week that turns some people off and the watches end up sitting because these aren't like Nikes that is cheap enough that you can keep up with all these releases

After being on holiday for the past 6 months, I finally returned home and visited my AD. 0 sport model Rolexes on display or in the back. 3 APs total (2-tone ROs and other trash). Literally did one of these:

giphy.gif

and speaking of omega and their obsession with limited editions...

just announced the hodinkee 10yr anniv speedy $6500 (only 500 made and already sold out)
HODINKEESpeedmaster-1.jpg

tempted to ask if he has a 268655 and for how much...

I know for sure he has the rainbow one, but I think I could probably order that watch from my AD and get it between 3-9 weeks. I’m not sure what my discount would be, though. Have you considered the Daytona on oysterflex?

ghost is beautiful. i considered getting an elephant, but just ended up going with the 15400, because i was still concerned about the size without being able to try one on in person. i actually feel like the 15400 is a little small.

The offshore is tricky. My brother has only a very slightly smaller wrist than I do, and the offshore lugs are nearly hanging off his wrist. It still looks fine on him, but there’s no way he can do the 44mm. I think the 15400 is a perfectly sized watch though.

After being on holiday for the past 6 months, I finally returned home and visited my AD. 0 sport model Rolexes on display or in the back. 3 APs total (2-tone ROs and other trash). Literally did one of these:

giphy.gif

Yeah when I went, they had one offshore and a bunch of millenarys (like 6).

I know for sure he has the rainbow one, but I think I could probably order that watch from my AD and get it between 3-9 weeks. I’m not sure what my discount would be, though. Have you considered the Daytona on oysterflex?

DavidSW has the watch in stock and for ~$17k so was just wondering if that price could be beat, doubt it though

i've considered the Daytona but it's the big matte black cerachrome bezel with the matte black dial combo with everose case is just a favorite of mine, i remember lusting over that combo with the hublot big bang (but inverse) but this one is better and at a more reasonable 37mm size for my puny wrists

i believe the daytona is only offered with everose dial or if in black the chrono subdials and index would be everose, overall the yachmaster is just cleaner and this is probably the only situation i would prefer a ym over the daytona

268655-0002-0.jpg

but my goal by the end of the year is to own the white dial OP39 and Santos and then probably take another couple of years of break... :lol: :blush:

if i can find that ym in a just-can't-pass-it-up-price then i might add it to the stable

Went to my AD this afternoon. Only 2 pieces of AP ROs left on display. Both women's pieces. They said they'll close down that section and just replace it with Vacheron Constantin. Only 1 AP store left in the country by December :/

DavidSW has the watch in stock and for ~$17k so was just wondering if that price could be beat, doubt it though

i've considered the Daytona but it's the big matte black cerachrome bezel with the matte black dial combo with everose case is just a favorite of mine, i remember lusting over that combo with the hublot big bang (but inverse) but this one is better and at a more reasonable 37mm size for my puny wrists

i believe the daytona is only offered with everose dial or if in black the chrono subdials and index would be everose, overall the yachmaster is just cleaner and this is probably the only situation i would prefer a ym over the daytona

268655-0002-0.jpg

but my goal by the end of the year is to own the white dial OP39 and Santos and then probably take another couple of years of break... :lol: :blush:

if i can find that ym in a just-can't-pass-it-up-price then i might add it to the stable

I only get 20% off so it’s not likely to be that good of a price.

20% is about right with DavidSW especially if its out the door

if it's been sitting, you might actually be able to haggle with it especially since it's a precious metal

Back
Top Bottom