the thread about nothing...

Walked to my local McDonalds for a large Diet Coke. Only crossed paths with 1 person the whole trip. I took my mask off on the way back and boy did it feel good, no mask to slow your breathing on a sunny day.

On feet? Reebok Shaq Attaq retro from 2013. Holding up nicely!
88157908-5F53-4909-9215-776800F0083D.jpeg

1589502091954.png

if you´ve ever taken a flight and are alive to ask the question, spare a thought for the hundreds of souls lost in the beta-testing phase of the modern commercial jetliner.

upon the introduction of the de Havilland Comet, the public imagination was immediately focused on the bright future of aviation.

finally, a passenger plane that was faster than any car and didn´t constantly sound like one was riding in a massive vibrator.

early flights of the sleek new jetliner were gala events, with the rich and famous flocking to be the first photographed boarding the futuristic craft.

yes, the Comet seemed destined to soar into the hearts and minds of a generation...until, of course, they started breaking apart in midair.

yes, you read that right, read it again if you like.

you see, concepts like metal fatigue--today known to any bored child who has had motive and opportunity to repeatedly bend a wire hanger--were almost unknown to the early experts of aerial design...just wasn't knowledge the human race had at the time.

what the aircraft´s designers could not have known is that metal in motion expands and contracts at various altitudes causing cracks to develop in the body--no, screw it, I´m using it--the fuselage of the aircraft. these cracks would form particularly easily at right angles...like the ones in a regular Earth window.

eventually the fuselage itself would weaken under the immense forces of high-speed flight and...well, I don´t know if you´ve ever been on an airplane that has broken apart in midair, but I can tell you this much after extensively looking into the matter: it´ll probably ruin your day.

once a few hundred people made unexpected landings along their flight path, all planes of the type were grounded so that everyone could stop and think about wtf was happening.

this was a key moment in the history of global aviation, as it would have been easy--even justifiable--to take passenger jetliners completely out of the equation.

however, it would also have been really dumb.

indeed, had those in charge of the industry had an overdeveloped fear of the unknown, the betolerated flying minivan shape that has come to symbolize public air travel would have been relegated to the dustbin of history.

instead, during the time the Comet was grounded, the industry as a whole went to work refining the design of the passenger jetliner. its structure was reimagined to account for metal fatigue and the plane´s windows were reshaped to be far less fatal.

yes, the issues that the airline industry faced were very real...but happily, in this case, fear was a motivator rather than an impediment. the unknown was to be feared...but also, studied.

de Havilland failed as a producer of commercial aircraft in the fallout from the Comet saga--again, having your plane break apart in midair merits negative reviews--but the lessons learned through these early disasters birthed airplanes that almost never kill everyone on board for pretty much no fn reason, so that´s pretty cool.

thank you for your time.

Nice. You working from home? If you can you should go for a walk/bike ride. I felt great doing that earlier while it was sunny out.
Working from home but I'll be leaving out to get my car around mid day then I'll be grocery shopping. Cant wait to hit the highway with the sunroof open. Might even get a carwash just cause

Back
Top Bottom