The Staircase - Netflix Documentary

They should do the one where a millionaire’s girlfriend somehow ended up hanging herself outside their house. Police were calling it a suicide even though her feet and hands were bound and she was naked. None of it made sense for a suicide.

Dude it makes sense tho. Especially them being so common where they live. Idk how the ***** made its escape tho

My Wife told me this theory too and that they even found feathers :nerd:

I guess I just don't want to believe it :lol:

They should do the one where a millionaire’s girlfriend somehow ended up hanging herself outside their house. Police were calling it a suicide even though her feet and hands were bound and she was naked. None of it made sense for a suicide.
Marcia Clark's new A&E show did a full episode on this one, it was pretty interesting. Sorta of led you to think it was the brother.

Marcia Clark's new A&E show did a full episode on this one, it was pretty interesting. Sorta of led you to think it was the brother.

Yeah, he seemed the most likely. Got revenge for his nephew who just died. Also showed how dumb the police there are. If it was a suicide then there was no reason for her to tie up her legs and hands as well. Her being naked seemed like it was don to disrespect her since she was hanging outside the house.

The craziest thing to me was that the judge himself even admitted that the Germany case and the info about dudes sexuality was prejudicial and shouldn’t have been entered. Dude even admitted there was reasonable doubt present. This is how the so called justice system works. Imagine if dude was completely innocent and didn’t have the resources to retain the defense that he was able to :sick:

Kathleen's sister :angry:

I'm up to episode 10. I still don't think Michael did it.

Marcia Clark show is not on Netflix that I know of, it was on A&E network - Marcia Clark Investigates First 48.

Season 1 is up and they don't uncover a whole lot but it's still a decent binge watch - she does Jam Master Jay, Robert Blake, etc. She goes at it with certain people which I can appreciate.

I stopped midway thru episode 3, ish is just dry and boring.

I will pick it up again when theres nothin else on. But 13 episodes :stoneface:

I enjoyed this a lot. I think he's guilty but I also think his initial trial was a ****show where I don't think the prosecution removed reasonable doubt. I don't see how I could justify anything but voting not guilty.
The prosecution was a complete ****show. I don't think the whole sexuality angle had any business being admitted to trial, nor the Ratliff death in Germany. Which was ruled an accident due to brain aneurysm by German police at the time. The prosecution's medical examiner somehow made a different conclusion after exhuming the body decades later.
Then there was the prosecution's blood spatter "expert", who looked like a complete fool after Dr. Lee's testimony for the defense.
No surprise Deaver was later found to be a crook who falsified numerous cases

At first in the documentary I was pretty convinced of Michael's innocence but gradually I became more and more suspicious. By the end of the documentary I thought he probably did it.
Whereas I found him sympathetic at first, as time went on I started seeing him more as narcissistic and very much capable of pretending. Though that could also be related to his way of speaking.
He also didn't seem very forthcoming with his lawyers at times and he changed his story sometimes. Other parts of his story just made no sense. He claimed she died in his arms at some point but there was no blood on his shirt.

So after I finished the documentary I wanted to do some more digging as these kind of documentaries often leave out information.
Here's some of the things that were left out of the documentary for example.

- Kathleen had a crushed thyroid. If you were as confused as I was when the family member talked about Michael strangling Kathleen in her final court testimony, the crushed thyroid would explain that. It would be possible to crush your thyroid by falling off the stairs but you'd have to fall right on your throat. That doesn't add up with Michael's story.

- A neuropathologist (not the Deaver crook or the prosecution's medical examiner) found the presence of red neurons in Kathleen, which indicate that the brain was deprived of oxygen for some time.
The neuropathologist stated that this would have occured "approximately a few hours prior to death". Which again makes Michael look very suspicious.

- There was a significant financial motive for Michael that was not really given much examination in the documentary.
The documentary generally described Michael as a best-selling author but financial records showed he had barely earned any income in the last couple years prior to Kathleen's death. His wife was the one bringing in all the money and emails showed her company was laying off people and she was worried she'd be next. Michael's kids were in large debt and he stood to inherit Kathleen's money and get a big life insurance payout.

Particularly the brain being cut off from oxygen at least an hour before death combined with a crushed thyroid and the strong financial motive drastically raised my suspicion. I already thought he was probably guilty by the end of the documentary but the additional information that was left out only raises more red flags. It doesn't really change my view that his initial trial was unfair and that the prosecution didn't meet the standard of proving their case beyond reasonable doubt.

At the point of episode 7, I'm not convinced he did it.

I believe in situations like these, people stick on to the fact that some things seem to be impossible or very difficult to explain so there must be guilt involved. The probability of an event occurring should be removed from ones thought when dealing with this case because that's what it seems like people are basing their opinions on at the end of the day. Freak accidents and circumstances do occur.

Mike's lawyers are either top notch or thea professionals and witnesses they are cross examining are mad incompetent. Every time they have their points, the witnesses were flustered. Especially the dude who tried to recreate the blood spatter, in a horrible manner, the lady who said she had flashbacks, and Kathlenes sister changing her opinion after finding out about his bisexuality. So far, they have nothing. At this point, there is no other correct decision outside of a hung jury.

I feel iffy about this case. I think he could've done it, but the proof is not there. So IMO he should have got off, no jail time. No murder weapon, and I doubt he beat her with his bare hands, maybe he banged her head a bunch of times on the stairs.

One thing that I was always curious about as well was how she landed, she fell down the stairs, and then managed to sit up near straight? Interesting story and a good watch.

I'm more impressed with the commitment and footage obtained from the film creator he filmed from a span of over 17 years. Like dude was there every day from the house to the court, jail...etc

I'm more impressed with the commitment and footage obtained from the film creator he filmed from a span of over 17 years. Like dude was there every day from the house to the court, jail...etc

I was impressed and wondering about that as well

This. I thought it was wild to have that much footage.

Kathleen's sisters were the WORST that last day in court :smh:.

Doc could have ended way earlier than 13 episodes.

I dont think he did it. But definitely could've done it so who knows.
He should've gotten acquitted in the first trial cause there was plenty of reasonable doubt.

Like some of yall said wow at the amount of footage and dedication, and could've been just 8eps, that would've been enough.

Last few episodes was a drag, even noticed later on it kept fast forwarding few months after a few months for his second trial with a huge gap of years. The footage was lacking towards the end, I'm sure the film creator did not know when to end the filming.

And F Deaver

Back
Top Bottom