The Staircase - Netflix Documentary

Mr Dink

formerly foamposite xi
In 2001 Michael Peterson claims his wife has died after falling down stairs. The medical examiner is not convinced. Beginning in 2005, with updates in 2013 and 2018, follow the investigation through to the high-profile murder trial's verdict.

Anybody watch it? Just finished it and I don't think he did it though it's truly puzzling how she died.

The thing is, if you are going to believe he didn't do it (and as of now, we really don't know) you would have to accept that he is the unluckiest human being on earth - he was the last person to see two different people (a female family friend + his wife) die accidentally down on a flight of stairs. That's one in a trillion odds. But hey....there's still a chance.

The prosecution didn't handle the case well though but there is something just off about this guy.

I remember watching a doc on this on Sundance a while ago

Think he killed his wife and ex wife tbh

I was gonna say I’ll watch, but this **** is a whole season lol. I thought it was just like a movie length documentary lol. I read up a little bit about the case online (Wikipedia) and it sounds like the husband is guilty lol.

“The autopsy report concluded that the 48-year-old victim sustained a matrix of severe injuries, including a fracture of the thyroid neck cartilage and seven lacerations to the top and back of her head, consistent with blows from a blunt object, and had died from blood loss 90 minutes to two hours after sustaining the injuries.”

The ‘blunt object’ I’m assuming the husband claimed was the staircase hitting her head as she fell. I feel like it’s highly unlikely that tearing her thyroid cartilage was from slamming her neck on a step. More like being smacked in the front of the neck with something or being choked. Although, If she was choked then she would probably have some evidence of that..

From what I heard there was an 'Owl Theory' as well, where there was a study that Owls were prevalent in NC and an Owl attacked the wife and she fell down their stairs. As outlandish as this whole story is, I think it could be true with the Owl scratching the top of her head.

If that Germany death did not happen practically the same way as the NC Wife, then I would not think he have done it. Questions are what did he hit her with then? Also, for the first trial I do not think there was enough evidence to convict him.

Did y'all see the pictures? She was covered in a pool of blood. There was no way that falling down the stairs make her bleed that much.

This is brazy dude spent a milk to beat a murder rap. Still watching but the bit about what do the poor do was a real conversation, actually surprised it came from dude

Did y'all see the pictures? She was covered in a pool of blood. There was no way that falling down the stairs make her bleed that much.

On top of them saying she possibly fell down the first 2-3 steps....

I’m up to episode 3. Pretty interesting so far. Crazy they had all this footage filmed too.

I don't understand the uncertainty of the Alford plea other than pride. He pleads guilty, judge commits him to 86 months. He did already did the time which means he's guaranteed his freedom at that point. Dude is 73 years old so I'm sure he won't be applying for jobs. It's a no-brainer.

Fascinating documentary, if you want to know what a sociopath looks like-prime example.

He's guilty as hell.

Man he did that
I wanted to know why
Im left unfulfilled

The lawyer just wanted to be done

This doc just shows are stupid people really are. No way in hell that prosecution proved murder 1 beyond a reasonable doubt. Dude probably very well killed both women but pair the lack of evidence with the sheer incompetence by the prosecution Jesus Christ how do 12 individuals agree to a guilty verdict in this case.

This doc just shows are stupid people really are. No way in hell that prosecution proved murder 1 beyond a reasonable doubt. Dude probably very well killed both women but pair the lack of evidence with the sheer incompetence by the prosecution Jesus Christ how do 12 individuals agree to a guilty verdict in this case.
Agree with all of this.

Although I'll say that Mikes calmness with the verdict was interesting. I think he did it

he was fcking dudes in the military having affairs in his wfie
giphy.gif

I'm just getting to the episode where they found a second chick who was murdered. How is it conclusive that he murdered the second chick?

Call me crazy but I just think this guy has stupid bad luck

The Sister was PISSED at the end sheesh!

That man is guilty as hell. He did both murders. He would of gotten away with it if those jurors weren't so dumb. The prosecution did not proof that reasonable doubt. Anyone else find it weird that the same judge was handling all proceedings? Shouldn't had been someone else?

Just started it last night. Episode 1. Went in thinking it was just a 1 part documentary only to find out it's 13 episodes :stoneface:

One episode in the only thing I know is that falling down the stairs wasn't the cause of death.

Also cracked up when I saw Mike Nifong in the DA role (disgraced prosecutor from the Duke Lacrosse case).

I'll finish but cot damn 13 episodes :sick:

Hope it's worth it with plot twists and sh**.

Back
Top Bottom