The RETRO Gaming Thread!

i really wish they'd just port 3d world on the switch. not enough ppl played it IMO. if my wii u controller wasn't messed up i'd run through it again.
:frown:

i really wish they'd just port 3d world on the switch. not enough ppl played it IMO. if my wii u controller wasn't messed up i'd run through it again.
:frown:

Wii controllers should be pretty cheap at GameStop.

I meant the one with the screen (I want to continue playing Mario maker 1 too)...unless those are cheap now?

i'm not sure if its dust or what but the buttons don't work from my memory and I don't think i'm able to draw. I may have scratched the screen trying to clear any and all dust out too trying to fix the issue smh. I put it up awhile back and haven't looked at it since.

i really wish all my progress wasn't tied to that one system either. its cruel to do that considering going through champions road lol.

Just got it today.
20200110_120024_resize_22.jpg

I'd love to see this all setup when you get it all done. Any details like cost, modifications, etc would be appreciated too. This is so dope.

its still sitting in the box in my room...i have a blast city that i need to move out into the garage...im kinda torn bc i usually play cps2/cps3 games (super sf2/3rd strike) on the blast...with the vewlix im probably going to hook up my ps4 to play sf5...

the unit is new and i believe taito in japan discontinued the vewlix so i got one off of a guy who imports these...i believe i paid $2250 for the unit...used ones are cheaper...but ive always wanted a brand new cabinet...every cabinet i owned prior to this has been heavily used...to fund this i sold my capcom big blue and some pcbs...

ill post images up once i get it all together and running

soon as I get my house i'm going full nerd and having a 90s room. some quick ideas

-stacks of egm/gamefan/gameplayers/gamepros/egm2's/Nintendo powers on a desk or in a bin/corner
-one of those old sony's with the scanlines. think they run a couple hundred dollars at this point for the good ones
-super famicom, super nes, nes, genesis (may go for sega cd/32X combo may not. its not necessary but I might do it for nostalgic purposes), Saturn, psx, 64, Gameboy...maybe gamegear will all be purchased.
-at least one viewlix cabinet or candy arcade or whatever
-action figures in and out of the boxes.
-vhs tapes, vcr
etc.

def going to make that happen in the next year.

To each their own, but chasing down rare games just because their rare is not worth it imo. Better things to do with $$$ than tying them up in games that you won't enjoy/never play.

When it comes to things I collect (shoes, jerseys, video games, vinyl), I used to grab anything to scratch the itch. Now that I'm older, I've kept the collecting "practical"- buying only what I intend to use. It's been much better for me in terms of satisfaction and efficiency (space-saving, no time spent selling unwanted items)

Where I run into problems are the games that are rare AND good. (Worm's Armageddon, Goemon's Great Adventure). I'll still go after those.

i remember my nes came with mario 1, genesis came with sonic, snes came with mario world...

i think the n64 was the first console that didnt come with a game...i think that was the first time i bought mario seperate from the console, but i cant remember...

it sucked when consoles stopped being released with games and when they stopped being released with 2 controllers

i remember my nes came with mario 1, genesis came with sonic, snes came with mario world...

i think the n64 was the first console that didnt come with a game...i think that was the first time i bought mario seperate from the console, but i cant remember...

it sucked when consoles stopped being released with games and when they stopped being released with 2 controllers

i think the genesis may have originally come with altered beast as the pack-in game & only 1 controller...
late '89/early '90 (there may have been a version with no pack-in? but i remember that version as later like '92ish)

when i had my genesis...the controller that came with had red highlights on the buttons...the extra separate
one did not

did the sega master system come with 1 0r 2 controllers? a pack-in or not originally?
at least some atari systems didn't come with pack-in games - but that may be going back too far

Last edited:
soon as I get my house i'm going full nerd and having a 90s room. some quick ideas

-stacks of egm/gamefan/gameplayers/gamepros/egm2's/Nintendo powers on a desk or in a bin/corner
-one of those old sony's with the scanlines. think they run a couple hundred dollars at this point for the good ones
-super famicom, super nes, nes, genesis (may go for sega cd/32X combo may not. its not necessary but I might do it for nostalgic purposes), Saturn, psx, 64, Gameboy...maybe gamegear will all be purchased.
-at least one viewlix cabinet or candy arcade or whatever
-action figures in and out of the boxes.
-vhs tapes, vcr
etc.

def going to make that happen in the next year.

That's pretty much half of my belongings, except I don't have enough room to set up everything, so a lot of it is tucked away in the garage (live with housemates).

I mix retro with new though, so the magazines are mostly Nintendo Force, and strategy guides for older games (Final Fantasy, Zelda, etc). I have a music setup with AudioTechnica turntable (got 2 crates full of old school mixed with new hip-hop and classic rock), vintage receiver, and tape decks. Got a VCR/DVD combo setup alongside a CRT for my retro systems. Got a bunch of vintage Apple/Mac machines. Too bad there's no vintage PC or vintage audio thread here. Got DBZ/Naruto/Street Fighter funko pops and Zelda nendoroids.

To each their own, but chasing down rare games just because their rare is not worth it imo. Better things to do with $$$ than tying them up in games that you won't enjoy/never play.

When it comes to things I collect (shoes, jerseys, video games, vinyl), I used to grab anything to scratch the itch. Now that I'm older, I've kept the collecting "practical"- buying only what I intend to use. It's been much better for me in terms of satisfaction and efficiency (space-saving, no time spent selling unwanted items)

Where I run into problems are the games that are rare AND good. (Worm's Armageddon, Goemon's Great Adventure). I'll still go after those.

Agreed.. I only collect what I'm most nostalgic about and as long as it can fit on my bookshelf. However, if I see some in the wild on the low I'll cop. If I don't see any value in it for myself I'll flip it, that's how I fund some of my hobby.

Back
Top Bottom