**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

Messy bed
frown.gif
that jacket is dope

i went to my marshalls yesterday and they had a bunch of rugby stuff and also RLX..but it was all very ugly..|I

i was very disappointed but also happy that they will eventually get some good stuff too..keep your eyes peeled fellas..

also denim and supply is flooding TJ maxx for dirt cheap..i copped these military surplus material type pants for 25.99 and a polo rugby for 29.99.

happy hunting fellas!

My marshalls was flooded last week with :pimp: pieces. Any heads in PDX check out Lloyd Center Marshalls.

Off topic, but for some reason since hypebeasts made it impossible to cop shoes these days I have switched to being a Lo enthusiast...Its much less of a hassle and you actually get good quality.

Its a different time now, and today's culture is different than what it was when these now vintage items were on store racks. I'm older than most of you here, and I can tell you that in the South, the movement never hit. All of these power pieces sat on racks and werent touched even ay heavily discounted prices. That said, I can understand why a guy from Texas would build his collection from the top down by buying on of the most recognizable polo pieces with no connection to the culture. Hes simply collecting. When we were coming up it was baseball cards, garbagepail kids, and comics....now kids collect Nike, Jordan, and Polo.

Sure is different, especially when a generation have no identity of their own time and can only find attachment of a different era because of how much social media influences the culture.

How sad is it that some of these "vintage polo collectors" who are coming up now can only identify "1992, 1993, snow beach, pwing stadium" pieces but are blind to pieces from a whole decade from 2000 - 2010 assuming that this past decade should have been their "coming of age"? Blind cuz of the fact that they weren't even into polo back then? But they only know the "1992, 1993, snow beach, stadium" pieces because of their overpriced value at what you see today thanks to the internet? SMH.

Sure it's easier today to simply "collect" vintage polo. Type in a few words, press a few buttons and boom you're a "wannabe lo-head/lo-life" overnight, or in 2-3 days priority shipping. Anyhow, the name of the game was "getting over" in a way that you weren't spending (or spending at all) exuberantly, but today it seems "powerful" to spend an astronomical price on an item. Obviously the internet is a great resource to obtain pieces and the Lord knows how many sellers I got over with $50-$100 deals that you see hypebeast thirstballs pay 10X for the same item. Funny how it wasn't just me doing the same thing either during those times, but all of that got thrown out the door with the VGA renaissance.

I can't tell anyone what to do with their money, but if you see fit that you can over pay for 20 year old items of clothings that doesn't stir any type of nostalgia other than seeing a rapper wear it in a video or seeing it post all over the internet because it consistently sells for hundreds of dollars on ebay then more power to you but just realize that you're still an outsider looking in.

This is why VGA is dead. R.I.P.

Great points Jay. What kids dont realize is what it took to get not just the poster items yesteryear, but any polo item as a teen with little or no income...and thats where the disconnect is between those that lived the movement, newer guys that understand the movement, and collecters that simply collect. I think this forum provides a opportunity to educate and influence to those that will listen.

Great points Jay. What kids dont realize is what it took to get not just the poster items yesteryear, but any polo item as a teen with little or no income...and thats where the disconnect is between those that lived the movement, newer guys that understand the movement, and collecters that simply collect. I think this forum provides a opportunity to educate and influence to those that will listen.

I'm all for that. But, for that to work, the younger generation has to be willing to listen. And, I want it to be that way for me too - because even us dudes who are 30+, 35+ still have stuff to learn.

I was building on what Jay was saying the other day too though - to some degree, the way the younger generation is today isn't even their fault; it's how they are conditioned to be. They really need to work hard to break that chain. Everything moves so quicklly - the cycle of what's hot runs so quickly that they don't have time to build an attachment to something in the prolonged, organic way we did.

Jerry Seinfeld once quipped that a man's wardrobe is like a time capsule capturing the best part of his life (I'm paraphrasing). And, that's the relationship a lot of us have with this stuff. Just like hip hop provided the sound track of my teens - early 20s, a certain album defined entire seasons (or longer), such that memories of my youth are to this day inextricably linked to a specific album or mixtape. (Check the avy!), Polo (and to a lesser degree, Nautica, Tommy,, Guess, TNF, Girbaud, DKNY, etc.) provided the wardrobe to the same play that was life. ...Today, I can't identify with a lot of the NYC that I see out there, but sometimes it all works out. Sometimes, I'm rocking some old flyness, the headphones shuffle in something off The Infamous, and I'm able to make out a faded Kez5 or Bruz outline or something against the blasted bricks and I'm reminded that this is still the same place that I came of age in. It's a beautiful thing though, but it was a long time in the making.

I clown on the kids, but I feel sorry for them more than anything. They have everything at their fingertips, but nothing under their feet but a speeding treadmill. 99% of them will never build the relationship with anything that some of us built with Lo or with Nike, or even music. ...I asked Jay the other day whether if "Illmatic" dropped tomorrow it would remain in the zeitgeist long enough for people to recognize that its a classic, or would it pass through pop culture's consciousness so quickly that people would be "on to the next one." Even genius is disposable when you aren't granted enough time to appreciate it.

Younger cats say we're stuck in the past, but it only looks that way when you are stuck in the ephemera - rooted in nothing but transience, so you can't understand anybody rooted in ANYTHING. That kind of society makes great consumers, but not much great anything else. The kind of advice I give the younger heads is to stop and enjoy the scenery every once in a while, once you get off the roller coaster, you see that it just runs around the same track in a circle over and over.

With that, I'm out.

Last edited:
Sure is different, especially when a generation have no identity of their own time and can only find attachment of a different era because of how much social media influences the culture.
How sad is it that some of these "vintage polo collectors" who are coming up now can only identify "1992, 1993, snow beach, pwing stadium" pieces but are blind to pieces from a whole decade from 2000 - 2010 assuming that this past decade should have been their "coming of age"? Blind cuz of the fact that they weren't even into polo back then? But they only know the "1992, 1993, snow beach, stadium" pieces because of their overpriced value at what you see today thanks to the internet?

^^ Realest thing said!!!!!

I've been telling cats this for 5+ years like why you ain't looking for that NEW RLX or NEW polo piece??

True, early 90s joints are CRACK but I didnt get into it til '96-97 so my vision of poLo pieces are different than the big homies that showed me the way...

My stories of how I got my joints are different. 1996 there was a whole different hustle available for 16year olds..

And the younger generation should have their OWN stories whether it was going in and copping at Macy's or going in and boosting from Macy's to shopping on eBay to trading joints from other like minded polo heads...

PBMN since 1998

But I'm rambling....

Last edited:
Seeing as you're in Dallas (like I am), don't do it.
Hood dudes around here are still on this heavy.
Stick to the small pony pieces.
But that big pony $%#@, the hood is still on that.
Polo + Levi's 501 jeans + Air Jordan/AF1 = Hood dude uniform, at least in Dallas.

BRUH!!

Never lied... don't forget to add the polo hat, and you have to specify that the **** shirt is like a medium and they sag with their whole *** out :lol: :lol: :smh:

Also can't forget them POLO boots everybody down here got (not the Rangers)

BRUH!!
Never lied... don't forget to add the polo hat, and you have to specify that the **** shirt is like a medium and they sag with their whole *** out :lol: :lol: :smh:
Also can't forget them POLO boots everybody down here got (not the Rangers)
i like the rangers, doe.... got a couple pair... are you saying they're good or bad? i'm confused...

i've never been a fan of the big horse stuff... or even just a regular RL polo shirt... i like the subtly polo stuff, where you cant spot it from a mile away and say "he got da rl on" ya know?

applause! man that was really deep, it was one of the realest things anyone on this thread has ever said. I myself am a new collector, I dont collect because of the flamboyant horse symbol (even tho thats what started this all). besides the quality of the clothes, I find myself collecting this stuff because of the history of the mark and the stories behind each item and what they represent. The great thing about RL is each item is really thought thru and made with quality. 

I like how people are building in here. Very nice

Old lo is fire, New lo is fire... Together they're unstoppable lol

edit- oh yeah, the flag shawl knits (navy & oatmeal/cream) are on sale for $82 @ macys. Over the weekend you could've caught them for $61 a piece (wait for another 20% off coupon coming soon)

Last edited:
Jay, you got me with that "2-3 days priority" line. Laughed out loud but definitely reflective.

So its true VGA is done at the end of the year?
Sure it's easier today to simply "collect" vintage polo. Type in a few words, press a few buttons and boom you're a "wannabe lo-head/lo-life" overnight, or in 2-3 days priority shipping. 

I like how people are building in here. Very nice

edit- oh yeah, the flag shawl knits (navy & oatmeal/cream) are on sale for $82 @ macys. Over the weekend you could've caught them for $61 a piece (wait for another 20% off coupon coming soon)
I need the Navy, thankls for that. And I was at the mall this weekend but I didn't even stop through Macy's. Trying to mak sure I get everyone else out the way before I look for self

damn cant believe i've never known about this thread. i just hope i wont forget about it again lol. cats got some wild stuff where im at its tough to get some of the nicer stuff. my local marshalls is always shot or they something dope in a medium and im a xl/xxl. im over 65 pieces strong.

I'm all for that. But, for that to work, the younger generation has to be willing to listen. And, I want it to be that way for me too - because even us dudes who are 30+, 35+ still have stuff to learn.
I was building on what Jay was saying the other day too though - to some degree, the way the younger generation is today isn't even their fault; it's how they are conditioned to be. They really need to work hard to break that chain. Everything moves so quicklly - the cycle of what's hot runs so quickly that they don't have time to build an attachment to something in the prolonged, organic way we did.
Jerry Seinfeld once quipped that a man's wardrobe is like a time capsule capturing the best part of his life (I'm paraphrasing). And, that's the relationship a lot of us have with this stuff. Just like hip hop provided the sound track of my teens - early 20s, a certain album defined entire seasons (or longer), such that memories of my youth are to this day inextricably linked to a specific album or mixtape. (Check the avy!), Polo (and to a lesser degree, Nautica, Tommy,, Guess, TNF, Girbaud, DKNY, etc.) provided the wardrobe to the same play that was life. ...Today, I can't identify with a lot of the NYC that I see out there, but sometimes it all works out. Sometimes, I'm rocking some old flyness, the headphones shuffle in something off The Infamous, and I'm able to make out a faded Kez5 or Bruz outline or something against the blasted bricks and I'm reminded that this is still the same place that I came of age in. It's a beautiful thing though, but it was a long time in the making.
I clown on the kids, but I feel sorry for them more than anything. They have everything at their fingertips, but nothing under their feet but a speeding treadmill. 99% of them will never build the relationship with anything that some of us built with Lo or with Nike, or even music. ...I asked Jay the other day whether if "Illmatic" dropped tomorrow it would remain in the zeitgeist long enough for people to recognize that its a classic, or would it pass through pop culture's consciousness so quickly that people would be "on to the next one." Even genius is disposable when you aren't granted enough time to appreciate it.
Younger cats say we're stuck in the past, but it only looks that way when you are stuck in the ephemera - rooted in nothing but transience, so you can't understand anybody rooted in ANYTHING. That kind of society makes great consumers, but not much great anything else. The kind of advice I give the younger heads is to stop and enjoy the scenery every once in a while, once you get off the roller coaster, you see that it just runs around the same track in a circle over and over.
With that, I'm out.

How sad is it that some of these "vintage polo collectors" who are coming up now can only identify "1992, 1993, snow beach, pwing stadium" pieces but are blind to pieces from a whole decade from 2000 - 2010 assuming that this past decade should have been their "coming of age"? Blind cuz of the fact that they weren't even into polo back then? But they only know the "1992, 1993, snow beach, stadium" pieces because of their overpriced value at what you see today thanks to the internet? SMH.
Sure it's easier today to simply "collect" vintage polo. Type in a few words, press a few buttons and boom you're a "wannabe lo-head/lo-life" overnight, or in 2-3 days priority shipping. Anyhow, the name of the game was "getting over" in a way that you weren't spending (or spending at all) exuberantly, but today it seems "powerful" to spend an astronomical price on an item. Obviously the internet is a great resource to obtain pieces and the Lord knows how many sellers I got over with $50-$100 deals that you see hypebeast thirstballs pay 10X for the same item. Funny how it wasn't just me doing the same thing either during those times, but all of that got thrown out the door with the VGA renaissance.
I can't tell anyone what to do with their money, but if you see fit that you can over pay for 20 year old items of clothings that doesn't stir any type of nostalgia other than seeing a rapper wear it in a video or seeing it post all over the internet because it consistently sells for hundreds of dollars on ebay then more power to you but just realize that you're still an outsider looking in.
I don't feel now way about calling out ********...get your own lane and make your own history.they could never stand next people that made it what is today. It's deeper that clothes and always has been (some thing that Ralph needs to understand to but won't. cause he didn't do it by him self ) this is one thing I like about some of (not all) the cats that came in the 90's era,they picked up the torch and k.i.m not trying to do what we did in the 80's. now it's just a culture of d**k riders and mo's that's gossip queens thinking they know every thing but don't know jack ****. I put heads on like heads put me on(eatch one teach one) and VGA (not all) had a lot of the same **** heads that think that this " lifestyle" started in the 90's or cause they have a I.t. That's dope they god now, oh my bad there the keeper of the "power piece ".wtf- *****!!! There are lame ducks all across the bord in life and this microcosm is no different. I seen the same thing with hiphop,kicks ect. The fad will go and they will move on the next pet rock.. Like sheep do. But to Those's that's true about what they are doing " live long,live strong" & lead and never follow! SMB.. Dope last few layouts as always. Bip...love the combos. JAY... Stop picking on the Lil short bus kids! P.s.(random but true) a real man don't wear skirts,dresses,tights,wigs,....smh lol.

Last edited:
I don't feel now way about calling out ********...get your own lane and make your own history.they could never stand next people that made it what is today. It's deeper that clothes and always has been (some thing that Ralph needs to understand to but won't. cause he didn't do it by him self ) this is one thing I like about some of (not all) the cats that came in the 90's era,they picked up the torch and k.i.m not trying to do what we did in the 80's. now it's just a culture of d**k riders and mo's that's gossip queens thinking they know every thing but don't know jack ****. I put heads on like heads put me on(eatch one teach one) and VGA (not all) had a lot of the same **** heads that think that this " lifestyle" started in the 90's or cause they have a I.t. That's dope they god now, oh my bad there the keeper of the "power piece ".wtf- *****!!! There are lame ducks all across the bord in life and this microcosm is no different. I seen the same thing with hiphop,kicks ect. The fad will go and they will move on the next pet rock.. Like sheep do. But to Those's that's true about what they are doing " live long,live strong" & lead and never follow! SMB.. Dope last few layouts as always. Bip...love the combos. JAY... Stop picking on the Lil short bus kids! P.s.(random but true) a real man don't wear skirts,dresses,tights,wigs,....smh lol.

I need the Navy, thankls for that. And I was at the mall this weekend but I didn't even stop through Macy's. Trying to mak sure I get everyone else out the way before I look for self

I saw the navy in Macy's today but it was a return. Looked like someone went clubbing in it with tags then brought it back. Only one in stock too I was upset. Sad part is I had one back in the day and lost track of it. Hopefully I can snag one on discount.

i like the rangers, doe.... got a couple pair... are you saying they're good or bad? i'm confused...
i've never been a fan of the big horse stuff... or even just a regular RL polo shirt... i like the subtly polo stuff, where you cant spot it from a mile away and say "he got da rl on" ya know?

no, what I was saying is that you can't forget that one pair of POLO boots that everybody got... I don't know the name of them, but I know they are NOT the rangers

they kinda look like duck boots, but like not.

Back
Top Bottom