The Official Netflix Thread Tho: Recommend Streaming Movies

She wasn't Egyptian. Her inbreeding family was Macedonian. Most historians say she was probably part Syrian and Persian.

I think this is something that was touched on. She wasnt "Egyptian" but Egypt during her time was worldly as f. And race as we know it today is something that took time to evolve as a thing.

I still find it strange that there were "black" roman leaders. So macedonian can actually mean she was still "black" based on her lineage.

Because of how diverse Egypt was at this particular time every race within that region tries to claim it as their own. Cleopatra symbolically represents that. Im more inclined to think she was "black-ish" than looking like Lindsay Lohan like Ive seen her portrayed in some movies. Like damn, Egypt is hot at least give her a tan. :lol:

What is JimBob so upset at? Isn't it the Egyptians who are upset since Cleopatra was allegedly Egyptian?

Naw American white conservatives who have never watched a documentary in their lives are also upset.

My response to modern Egyptians is.....reject Jesus Christ and Allah and maybe Ill take you seriously. :lol: Cant try to claim ancient Egypt while desecrating its holy temples and calling its mythical traditions Haram.

Naw American white conservatives who have never watched a documentary in their lives are also upset.

My response to modern Egyptians is.....reject Jesus Christ and Allah and maybe Ill take you seriously. :lol: Cant try to claim ancient Egypt while desecrating its holy temples and calling its mythical traditions Haram.
What does any of that have to do with Arabs in Egypt mad about Cleopatra?

What does any of that have to do with Arabs in Egypt mad about Cleopatra?

If they are concerned about authenticity of their lineage they may want to follow the traditions of the ancients? But they typically dont. They have no problem worshipping Gods who were not revered by the ancient Egyptians and have the nerve to complain about "their culture" being "blackwashed".

Modern day Egypt is generally considered a "middle eastern" nation. Its most popular religion is Islam and it is a member of the Arab league of nations. None of that sounds traditionally Egyptian to me.

I know racists are review bombing Cleopatra, but she really was an inbred white/mostly white woman of the Ptolemy line (a Macedonian/Greek general) that was colonizing real Egyptians. I’d say it’s fair to say that other lineages and general population in ancient Egypt could be black/mixed with black, but I don’t know why anyone would want to claim or romanticize that specific line :sick: Probably one of the most inbred and disrespectful lineages of all time; vast majority of them didn’t even bother learning Egyptian because they considered Greek culture to be far superior.

this show is bombing harder also because it’s claiming to be a documentary. People watch that Bridgerton nonsense with black and Indian people mixing peacefully with English royalty but generally let it go because it’s just a fantasy world.

I know racists are review bombing Cleopatra, but she really was an inbred white/mostly white woman of the Ptolemy line (a Macedonian/Greek general) that was colonizing real Egyptians. I’d say it’s fair to say that other lineages and general population in ancient Egypt could be black/mixed with black, but I don’t know why anyone would want to claim or romanticize that specific line :sick: Probably one of the most inbred and disrespectful lineages of all time; vast majority of them didn’t even bother learning Egyptian because they considered Greek culture to be far superior.

this show is bombing harder also because it’s claiming to be a documentary. People watch that Bridgerton nonsense with black and Indian people mixing peacefully with English royalty but generally let it go because it’s just a fantasy world.
Question though, is that really the case? I dont doubt the show would still garner large viewership if the content was really good. I don't think the Queen's Gambit was bombarded by such negativity because the main protagonist is a very pale woman. Same goes with BEEF with having eastern Asians being casted in leading roles. But if the content of Cleopatra only revolves and focuses around the controversial casting and not the story, it is destined to fail.

Question though, is that really the case? I dont doubt the show would still garner large viewership if the content was really good. I don't think the Queen's Gambit was bombarded by such negativity because the main protagonist is a very pale woman. Same goes with BEEF with having eastern Asians being casted in leading roles. But if the content of Cleopatra only revolves and focuses around the controversial casting and not the story, it is destined to fail.

The show itself introduces the casting as the main attraction

The opening line is “I don’t care what they taught you in school, Cleopatra was black”

I haven’t watched the show, so I can’t judge whether the rest of it is good or not. But I haven’t watched any Cleopatra-centric movie/show ever, because I always found people’s obsession over her extremely bizarre.

I don’t agree with the racist attacks, and if a show is actually good, I can look past bizarre casting choices since Hollywood has done that for over a century by casting white people in minority roles.

I just think they shouldn’t have marketed this show as a documentary-ish show if that’s the case, or they should have focused on different lineages in Egypt that could have been black or different kingdoms in general. There are so many great civilizations in Africa that barely anyone knows about, but all we get is Egypt 99% of the time

The show itself introduces the casting as the main attraction

The opening line is “I don’t care what they taught you in school, Cleopatra was black”

I haven’t watched the show, so I can’t judge whether the rest of it is good or not. But I haven’t watched any Cleopatra-centric movie/show ever, because I always found people’s obsession over her extremely bizarre.

I don’t agree with the racist attacks, and if a show is actually good, I can look past bizarre casting choices since Hollywood has done that for over a century by casting white people in minority roles.

I just think they shouldn’t have marketed this show as a documentary-ish show if that’s the case, or they should have focused on different lineages in Egypt that could have been black or different kingdoms in general. There are so many great civilizations in Africa that barely anyone knows about, but all we get is Egypt 99% of the time
Definitely content. I believe the reason behind the obsession is that she was this iconic figure of beauty. I do agree with regards to finding or introducing new source materials to make shows or movies. Lazy Recycling and repurposing of certain movies or shows is always meet with certain expectations especially if the original is a classic or has a high reputation. Some production companies I believe just introduce inclusivity in old movies/shows to garner newer or bigger audience in the expense of real solid story telling. It became a genre of "What Ifs". Like you, I don't mind having a different cast, but I would have some expectations especially if the repurposed movie/show has a large shoe to fill.

It overachieved BECAUSE of the controversy. Definitely did better than a lot of other random Netflix documentaries on there. I love how people are saying it "bombed" because a bunch of racists bombed RT with bad reviews. I think they helped the show overachieve.

Definitely content. I believe the reason behind the obsession is that she was this iconic figure of beauty. I do agree with regards to finding or introducing new source materials to make shows or movies. Lazy Recycling and repurposing of certain movies or shows is always meet with certain expectations especially if the original is a classic or has a high reputation. Some production companies I believe just introduce inclusivity in old movies/shows to garner newer or bigger audience in the expense of real solid story telling. It became a genre of "What Ifs". Like you, I don't mind having a different cast, but I would have some expectations especially if the repurposed movie/show has a large shoe to fill.

OH lord. I dont think this show had "inclusion" in mind. Jada Pinkett and the other producers were giving a blatant middle finger to Eurocentric portrayals of pseudomythical figures like Cleopatra........and Jesus Christ. The show deconstructs a lot of preconcieved notions about cleopatra which Im more inclined to believe over the stories told by the conquerors and invaders.

Last edited:
i might be too dumb to be entertained by what is happening in the first 2 episodes of The Diplomat

it's like C-SPAN collabed with BBC to create a movie about the government and decided to only show us the most boring parts of politics. call me a "layman" but if i don't see some tiddies or some nudity soon, i'm out

peace-out.gif

i might be too dumb to be entertained by what is happening in the first 2 episodes of The Diplomat

it's like C-SPAN collabed with BBC to create a movie about the government and decided to only show us the most boring parts of politics. call me a "layman" but if i don't see some tiddies or some nudity soon, i'm out

peace-out.gif

Lol the show is mildly entertaining but silly. I agree they shouldve added more nudity to make up for it. I hope no one is taking any of it seriously.

Lol the show is mildly entertaining but silly. I agree they shouldve added more nudity to make up for it. I hope no one is taking any of it seriously.

if succession was building its script based off the Murdoch family, i'm convinced that the diplomat is stealing from the Clinton playbook

Anghkooey

New episode of From, my guy on the bus WILD. Son playing with fire.

Started new Brolin series on Prime. Outer Range look good one episode in.

Back
Top Bottom