The Official NBA Season Thread: Pre-Season Games Underway | RIP Dikembe Mutombo 🙏

Miami retired Michael Jordan's number. I don't seem to remember him ever playing for them, but I could be wrong.

No way this the reasoning The bulls gave :lol:

Retiring his number because the Heat retired Jordan's number is weird as hell

No way this the reasoning The bulls gave :lol:

Retiring his number because the Heat retired Jordan's number is weird as hell

That's not what I was saying. I was alluding to the fact that teams are free to retire numbers for whatever reason they please. I've always found the MJ thing dumb in Miami, mainly because Riley was pushing for his number to be retired league-wide (also dumb because the NBA would never do that like the NHL did with Gretzky's 99). Rose was the the centerpiece of the most relevant Bulls era, post-MJ and through today. He was an MVP. He absolutely deserves it. People have had numbers retired for doing much less.

Again, the criteria for a team retiring one of its jerseys is WHATEVER THE TEAM WANTS IT TO BE. It’s not an NBA award and it’s not the Hall of Fame.

It’s honestly more a marketing/fan service thing than anything else so, IMO, silly to debate whether someone “deserves” it or not.
Guess I’m going to have keep posting this whenever a Jersey retirement gets announced.

Now Rose is getting his number retired? For what? :lol:
For real. Like everyone be serious. He shouldn't go to the HoF either, and, sadly, a guy who won MVP won't go, but there wasn't enough there FOR ME. I will be happy for him when he eventually gets in but be for real. Where are the standards?

Back
Top Bottom