The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Passed my AFOQT but the wife don't want me to join the National Guard. Doesn't want me away for that long for training and school. She fears I'll get deployed and die:rolleyes

For the guy who wants to be a pilot, .0000001% chance. I'm dead serious.
I recently enlisted.
-99 on ASVAB; 119 on DLAB
-Army 35P- Cryptologic Linguist (requires TS/SCI clearance which is huge for after-service job prospects)
-$15k bonus for 5-year commitment
-Going in as an E-4
-Going to Fort Jackson on 10/1 for Basic and then DLI in Monterey, CA for 53 weeks to gain expert fluency in a language (hopefully Chinese!).
How often do they give out those types of bonuses for longer enlistments? I wanted to do 4 years when I graduate but I don't imagine I would have an issue with five either. Congrats on your situation by the way :pimp:

Anybody that's been to Navy OCS or AF OTS after college chime in with some advice for a young brother in his last year in college ?

Anybody that's been to Navy OCS or AF OTS after college chime in with some advice for a young brother in his last year in college ?
I didn't go but went through the entire process for Navy OCS only to have the board review cancelled earlier this year. billet was closed due to budgeting issues. get at a recruiter and start studying up for ASTB if you do Navy. if you want to go restricted line, you might have to submit interviews with a few current officers (usually O4s or up). You NEED to max out on the ASTB for any type of serious consideration for Navy OCS. 

ATLfinest and SoleWoman are going or already have went through Navy OCS.

Going to basic January 8, 2013 :smokin

That's a perfect date. Get the holidays with fam and friends, and start the year out with the Military. Nice.

Any advice?

I didn't go but went through the entire process for Navy OCS only to have the board review cancelled earlier this year. billet was closed due to budgeting issues. get at a recruiter and start studying up for ASTB if you do Navy. if you want to go restricted line, you might have to submit interviews with a few current officers (usually O4s or up). You NEED to max out on the ASTB for any type of serious consideration for Navy OCS. 

ATLfinest and SoleWoman are going or already have went through Navy OCS.

I feel you on the boards being cancelled. It took me just over a year for my package to go to Board. My advice for the dude who's thinking of applying is APPLY NOW. I can't emphasize this enough. It will be a long time before you ever sniff OCS (if you get accepted) and I can guarantee you that they won't be asking you to go between now and graduation (in May I'm assuming). I first walked into my recruiter's office in January of 2011, right when I graduated college, and I'm still here. If I knew then what I know now I would've spoken to my recruiter much earlier on. Find time to study for the ASTB. I went to Borders and got a study guide and also used online resources. I can link you to some if you'd like. Also do your research on the jobs you're interested in and go in and talk to your recruiter with some kind of knowledge in hand. Also, be patient, nothing happens quickly. That's something I've had to learn to just deal when it comes to dealing with the military. with Solewoman can give you more advice on what actually happens at OCS seeming as she's gone through it. PM me if you have any additional questions. Also what's your GPA like? college major?

Last edited:
Appreciate the knowledge being dropped. I currently have a 3.4 GPA and I'm majoring in marketing. Recently did an internship on a navy base plus my dads retired navy so thats why I'm having thoughts about it but its not necessarily the first choice on my list. During my internship I chopped it up with a lot of officers and even the CO of the base. One told me they won't even give you a look if you don't have a 3.75 GPA. Jobs I would be interested in would be supply or logistics but making a 6 yr commitment I would def have to be all the way in for my decision.

Appreciate the knowledge being dropped. I currently have a 3.4 GPA and I'm majoring in marketing. Recently did an internship on a navy base plus my dads retired navy so thats why I'm having thoughts about it but its not necessarily the first choice on my list. During my internship I chopped it up with a lot of officers and even the CO of the base. One told me they won't even give you a look if you don't have a 3.75 GPA. Jobs I would be interested in would be supply or logistics but making a 6 yr commitment I would def have to be all the way in for my decision.

I wouldn't say you need a 3.75 but it's hard to gauge how competitive you are because the recruiting, to my understanding, is regionalized so you're competing against those in your area so a 3.75 might be necessary where you are and that might not be the case in other areas. the big thing is just keeping it as high as possible and crushing the ASTB, I didn't find it that hard and to be honest, if you get a book and look at it for 3 or 4 weeks you should be in good shape. Its not the LSAT or MCAT; you got it if you put in a little time. based on what you said you're interested in, it seems as though you're looking for the job I'm going for, the Supply Corps. It's alot of logistics stuff and whatnot. Also, the commitment isn't 6 years of active duty. Its 4 years active and 4 years reserve (the whole one week a month thing)

Just signed my contract for Fire Protection for 4 years, leave for Basic Nov 27th, anyone else in here in fire protection?

Oh, I'm going in under the electronics aptitude area, btw. Anyone else go in the Air Force like this? I'm thinking it gives me a good chance to get the exact job that I want. I'm going for Cyber Transport Systems.

Oh, I'm going in under the electronics aptitude area, btw. Anyone else go in the Air Force like this? I'm thinking it gives me a good chance to get the exact job that I want. I'm going for Cyber Transport Systems.
You got open electronics?

Last edited:
Just realised that my Navyboy24 account didn't make it over to the new NT..smh

Well good luck to those who are still joining the armed forces And congrats to those completing their time and are getting out.

FELLAS! LADIES! If any of you are getting out in less than a year, get your GI BIll paperwork started NOW! It is a long process, I'm in my second week of school and my benefits still havent started. I also HIGHLY recommend filling out FASFA, and getting the Pell grant, it will supplement your school while you wait for the GI Bill to kick in....plus you'll get a nice little refund check to help with expenses

Went back to the recruiter today and they gave me a packet to fill out to sort of get the ball rolling on getting my name in front of a commission board. My question is this: will filling out the US Army ENSQ Enlistment Datasheet set me up to go in as enlisted, or is it just a basic questionnaire needed for essential information? Basically, will filling out this packet shoot me in the foot in terms of becoming an officer?

Went back to the recruiter today and they gave me a packet to fill out to sort of get the ball rolling on getting my name in front of a commission board. My question is this: will filling out the US Army ENSQ Enlistment Datasheet set me up to go in as enlisted, or is it just a basic questionnaire needed for essential information? Basically, will filling out this packet shoot me in the foot in terms of becoming an officer?
don't quote me but i think that you "technically" enlist first because  i think you have to attend boot camp with all recruits before you go to Army OCS at Fort Benning, GA.

did you speak specifically to an Army officer recruiter? I can only speak from my experiences with Navy/Corps officer recruiters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom