The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Thanks Goat.

She's already to capacity on her macbook (few years old) and one of our external hard drives. I'm hoping the refresh occurs on the closer side of the iPhone announcement. I'm hoping they do something like what they did for the Macbook today.

have you considered maxing out the internal drive she already has? with the 9mm height maximum in a macbook, you can up the driver to a 2.5" 640GB HD. I did it to my macbook before it died. I also had a 500GB external just laying around. Then she can buy an enclosure for the drive she takes out of the macbook now and have another external to use

We have thought of that, however, I know very little of the process.

What drive did you swap into your machine?

Any help would be helpful.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

We have thought of that, however, I know very little of the process.

What drive did you swap into your machine?

Any help would be helpful.

it's mad simple. All you need is a #0 Phillips screwdriver and a Torx #8.
I got this drive for mine. Then all you do is pop the battery, open the metal casing by unscrewing three screws, pull out the hard drive with the pull tab, take off the protective casing with the Torx, and slide the new drive with the old casing on it back in. It took me like 10 mins tops. There are tutorials online on how to rpelace a Macbook hard drive if you need visuals.
She may want to backup the old hard drive with Time Machine, or clone it using SuperDuper! . Then just trasnfer that clone or backup to the new drive and it'll be just as if she had her old computer again.

Is there any way to download iLife (or just GarageBand) for free online?

Or would I need the installing CD?
Edit: Nvm, I won't take the chance.

I've been contemplating copping a Mac for awhile now and I've been browsing through my local craigslist, hoping to come across one at a reasonable price. So I'm basically wondering what's a decent price for a used Macbook, not a Pro. I've seen a posting for one at about 600 but with a vague description.

can anyone recommend a new program like istatmenu since they wanna charge now...

or anyone have the codes to geektool to put all that on my desktop...i have the date weather time but dont have the comp specs and temp codes for the shells

So folks, after using design lab Macs for over a year now, I'm purchasing my own Mac. I've been running CS3 on my Toshiba and it's been great for the last 4 years, but now I have real clients and I'm out of space, and screen size is an issue. After months of research, here's what I'm looking at:

27 inch
2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB memory (4x2GB)
1TB

Here's the question:
I applied for the financing card. Cool. I have OUTSTANDING credit and make solid money year round. However, they only approved me for $700 on the card for the first month... I'm trying to buy a $2400 machine. Should I just cancel the card when it gets here and get a new one and put down that I'm making 60 grand a year and that I'm dependent on my parents to get enough credit? I'm going to pay this thing off before the end of July-- the money isn't a problem. Ideas?

Soo.....i dropped my macbook pro 15' the other day. now everytime i cut it on/ wake it up from sleep it makes a sound like EEEEERRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUVVVVVVVVRRRR.
3 questions.
@$+ is that?
And should i be worried?
And how would i go about getting this fixed?

Originally Posted by BoredONE1

Soo.....i dropped my macbook pro 15' the other day. now everytime i cut it on/ wake it up from sleep it makes a sound like EEEEERRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUVVVVVVVVRRRR.
3 questions.
@$+ is that?
And should i be worried?
And how would i go about getting this fixed?

son that sucks.
There are not many things I love in this life.

My looks, my family, my friends and my macbook pro 15 man..... 

I'm dead serious

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Driftracer, good question!

When do the back to school sales go on usually? I suppose before school, but more of july or august or september?
from macrumors.com

"Apple's yearly Back to School promotion is due to kick off tomorrow (Tuesday, May 25th). Apple will be offering a free iPod (up to $199 value) to students and faculty purchasing a qualifying Mac. Discounts do not extend to iPads or iPhones.

The promotion is expected to run from May 25th to September 7th, 2010. More details should be available tomorrow."

Originally Posted by KicksBoyWonder

Need a good antivirus, spyware, malware program for my MBP. What's the best one?

laugh.gif
 You're good brotha

im getting a new computer in the next couple of months. seriously considering leaving PC and getting a mac book pro.

any ideas if apple's june conference will have anything for the mac books? wanted to wait until then to go and buy one.

Link
Link to Offer
092119-apple_bts_2010.jpg

As predicted in a brief note yesterday, Apple has launched its annual "Back to School" promotion targeted at college and university students in the U.S. and Canada. The promotion offers customers qualifying to purchase through the company's education channel in those countries rebates of up to US$199 or C$219 for the purchase of a qualifying Mac and iPod on the same sales receipt.

New standard and build-to-order configurations of all Macs except the Mac mini qualify for the purposes of the offer, with a variety of rebates available for various iPod models. Refurbished Macs and iPods are not eligible for the offer, and no rebates are available for iPhone or iPad purchases.

Maximum U.S rebate amounts:

- iPod touch: $199
- iPod classic 160 GB: $199
- iPod nano 16 GB: $179
- iPod nano 8 GB: $149
- iPod shuffle 4 GB (stainless steel): $99
- iPod shuffle 4 GB: $79

The promotion runs through September 7th, 2010, and customers are limited to five rebates per household. Full details on the program are available in the Terms and Conditions for programs in the U.S. and Canada.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

im getting a new computer in the next couple of months. seriously considering leaving PC and getting a mac book pro.

any ideas if apple's june conference will have anything for the mac books? wanted to wait until then to go and buy one.

You Won't see Macbook/Macbook Pro refreshes until October at the least. IF you're gonna get one, get it now before it's old. June's conference will be strictly iPhone/iTunes/App Store/OS 4.0 related

Originally Posted by JaYzNyAyAlLdAy

Originally Posted by KicksBoyWonder

Need a good antivirus, spyware, malware program for my MBP. What's the best one?

laugh.gif
 You're good brotha

Just making sure. It was running a lil' slow last night plus I think my itunes account was hacked so I wanted make sure I wasn't infected or something

Anybody ever apply for an Apple Barclaycard Visa? Pros and Cons?

I just plan on applying to buy a MBP and paying it back within 3 or 4 months.

My iPhone doesn't sync with iTunes anymore. It still charges my phone but doesn't back up like it usually does. How do I fix this?

Thanks.

I plan on buying a Macbook Pro 13 soon, but wanted to see what I should do. I don't want to buy it for 1000+ then have a new update come out with the I3 or I5 processors. Any news on when or rumors on when they might be updated?

Also, If I could get a macbook pro 13 on craigslist for 700 right now, just with the computer and charger, is that a good deal? I figured since it's still under warranty, I could just get the additional applecare for it and be covered for the next 2-3 years (Apple does allow you to buy applecare for items purchased not from the applestore correct?). Is this a good deal to you guys? Also, will I be missing anything needed by just getting the computer and the charger? Is the other things that come in the box necessary?

Thanks, it's my first mac and just want to make sure with such a big purchase.

^^Same here. And I got another question, I will be using the mac mostly for CAd and photoshop, I plan on being an industrial designer. Do ya'll think the 15" inch is worth it, cause its 50% more expensive then the 13", but I dont know about the i5 whihch apparently is a lot better then the core 2 in the 13" models. Any tips? Is there a chance of the 13" ones getting an update on that?

Originally Posted by sole searchin

I plan on buying a Macbook Pro 13 soon, but wanted to see what I should do. I don't want to buy it for 1000+ then have a new update come out with the I3 or I5 processors. Any news on when or rumors on when they might be updated?

Also, If I could get a macbook pro 13 on craigslist for 700 right now, just with the computer and charger, is that a good deal? I figured since it's still under warranty, I could just get the additional applecare for it and be covered for the next 2-3 years (Apple does allow you to buy applecare for items purchased not from the applestore correct?). Is this a good deal to you guys? Also, will I be missing anything needed by just getting the computer and the charger? Is the other things that come in the box necessary?

Thanks, it's my first mac and just want to make sure with such a big purchase.
There aren't any rumors of new i3 processors anytime soon, since the 13" just got a spec jump. MBP will always be upgraded in the future, but if the MBP you are looking at has everything you need it to do, then you should look into it. 700? How old is it? It's a good deal, but if you could save up for a brand new MBP, I'd do that.

Originally Posted by LakersNation

what are the best video editing software for a Mac other than Final Cut Pro?

Adobe Premiere Pro. I haven't really used Final Cut Pro, but I always thought Premiere Pro is great.

I might grab one of the newer iMacs for music purposes but might as well save for the desktop.
Huh? An iMac is a desktop cpu. Unless you are speaking of a non-Apple desktop.

Sole searchin: There is rumors that a 2.8ghz i7 Processor is going to make it's way to the MBP later this year.  That could mean a quad-core processor may be put into the 13" or have this new processor as an upgrade option for the 15" and 17" MBP.

Back
Top Bottom