The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

What's the best way to use/run laptop battery?? Should you always have it charging/plugged in, or should you get a full charge, let it run down, and then charge/repeat??
Charge only when needed. Let it run down, then recharge.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by KickHead23

Ok so heres the classic dilemma. Warranty is up in a few days on my Mid-2010 MBP and I'm not sure whether to get the AppleCare or not. My battery is already going downhill but if I get AppleCare I heard that doesn't even cover batteries?
AppleCare covers batteries as long as they reasonably fall around normal cycle usage. Like, don't be surprised if you rack up 1000+ cycles and you need a replacement and they point you in the direction of purchasing a new one. If you need a discount, buy it with the education discount (in store or online...it would be like 40% off). in 3 years time, you are gonna have some sort of problem eventually, especially on a laptop. I say you buy it now to avoid the headache later. You may also want to consider a squaretrade warranty
How can you tell the number of cycles from home? My battery was finished (and that nonsense on the last page happened) plus my AC is up so I think I'll be paying full for a new battery in my case.

What's the best way to determine what is taking up space on my macbook? I have 10gb free but I checked all my main folders (applications, music, movies, pictures, and documents) and it tells me it takes up about 82 gbs and my hard drive is 120. So is there a way I can find what is taking up all my space because I am trying to install some applications but I don't want to unless I find a way to free some space.

You need to partition your drive.  Allow one drive for all applications and OS, the other drive is for documents, music, etc.

Originally Posted by Type X

Originally Posted by OneLifeLoveKing

alright just upgraded to lion;

1. iphoto is gone??? has this happened to anyone else

2. I upgraded to lion so i can sync my iMac and Macbook Calanders without going through google... is this possible? ...how?
iPhoto should not be gone.
Are you saying its gone from yoru DOCK or gone from the whole OS... have you searched the device for it?

2. You can sync your calendars but it depends on what service you are using, if you are using your google calendar each device will sync if its selected BUT if you are keeping a seperate calendar on one of the devices imac, macbook , iphone & have one deselected it won't sync up

I am 99% sure that its defaulted to sync when you install the mail client into your device though

Good luck.

My iphoto is legit gone... i searched for it and its nowhere to be found. Is this because I torrented iLife? 

Wow, a ton of mis information going on in this thread.

Let me start off with what applecare does and does not cover:

AppleCare covers DEFECTS of the hardware.
Batteries are consumable. Meaning that they will eventually die. AppleCare does not cover consumed batteries. To those of you that are shocked by this... When your batteries die in your remote for your TV do you call up Samsung/Sony/Panasonic and demand new batteries? No, you take you happy %$% to the store and buy new ones. Same goes for batteries in a computer.

To those that have batteries that have "expanded" like the pictures posted before. This is normal for any Li-Ion batteries in computers. It is a failsafe when the battery dies. The battery is not defective, it just died in a spectacular way.

All this voodoo about not using the computer while its plugged in, letting it discharge completely before recharging, and all the other mumbo jumbo about batteries needs to stop. Technology has come a long way since any of that was necessary. There is special circuitry built into the computer and the battery. You can use the battery all day every day while plugged in, its not going to hurt anything. You might need to recalibrate the battery, and possibly reset the SMC, but that is all. You also do not need to discharge completely before recharging. The computer/battery keeps a running tally of how much it gets discharged/charged. If you're running down the battery just so you can get to 1% so that you can recharge, you're actually hurting the battery more because you are using up cycle counts.

To those that say the bottom of their MB is getting hot. Stop using the damn thing on your lap/pillow/couch/bed. There's a reason Apple stopped calling them laptops. They are portables. They get hot. Same goes for your power adapters. Stop putting them on the carpet/bed/ect. It needs to be exposed so that it can dissipate heat.

Speaking of power adapters. Stop wrapping the damn cord around as tight as you can possibly go. This is why the wires fray and why half of them are melting the cords.

Everyone recommending iStat/SMCFan w/e/ all those other "temp sensing" applications. Apple did not release the API's for these applications to access the actual temperature of the components. All of these applications are giving you an estimate that can range wildly.

Transferring the AppleCare is a dumb move for 90% of people. You will only get covered on the new computer only up until the end of the original APP on the original computer. Example; Purchase MB today Aug 18 2011. Applecare will expire on Aug 18 2014. Say in 1 year you purchase a new MB. You transfer the APP to the new computer, APP will still end on the same day. You just short changed yourself a year. If you haven't had any repairs, get a refund for the remainder of the APP and use that towards the purchase of a new APP on the new computer.

OneLifeLoveKing wrote:

2. I upgraded to lion so i can sync my iMac and Macbook Calanders without going through google... is this possible? ...how?
Are you saying its gone from yoru DOCK or gone from the whole OS... have you searched the device for it?

2. You can sync your calendars but it depends on what service you are using, if you are using your google calendar each device will sync if its selected BUT if you are keeping a seperate calendar on one of the devices imac, macbook , iphone & have one deselected it won't sync up

I am 99% sure that its defaulted to sync when you install the mail client into your device though

Good luck.

My iphoto is legit gone... i searched for it and its nowhere to be found. Is this because I torrented iLife? 

The app is gone or is your iPhoto Library is missing. You need to elaborate.

If you're just missing the iPhoto application and still have your iPhoto Library, you can just reinstall iPhoto. If your library is missing, sucks to be you. Hope you made a backup before upgrading.

Good luck.

Probably lol you never mentioned torrented software previously, it could have tried to verify it during the upload & saw it was a cracked key/not legit copy.

iLife is super cheap on ebay/amazon.

Hello everyone . first time posting on this ...

I have a Imac i got in 2007/2008 dont know the exact model . Everything was fine BUT now when i turn it on it makes that "DING" sounds turns white and the apple logo starts loading and then thats it , it just stays on that screen and wont move on to the login page. can anyone help me with a solution? i tried to reset with the disc and nothing happened now it is just inside the computer jammed . any help is appreciated thanks

So it's 2011, and I just bought a 21.5" iMac. Any recommendations on a web browser? I cannot stand safari
30t6p3b.gif

I like Google Chrome, but I'm curious as to what is out there for mac.

Originally Posted by buggz05

So it's 2011, and I just bought a 21.5" iMac. Any recommendations on a web browser? I cannot stand safari
30t6p3b.gif

Google Chrome...

Originally Posted by vick the quick

Originally Posted by bjamez20

^sounds like your hard drive is done

anyway to replace or fix it ? 
or a reset of some sort 

My brother fixed my iMac. I think mine was the same year model and I had the same issue. The hardest part was taking apart the iMac because of its unibody. There are step by step instructions on how to do it. I just hope you backed up all you stuff because if not, you will have to some how extract all that off your failed harddrive. Also you can take it to a Apple certified computer tech but it will be costly. You might want to just take that money and invest it in another computer.

Originally Posted by marmourjr

30t6p3b.gif

Google Chrome...
Not much else?

im getting an iPhone 4 tomorrow..............what recommendations can you guys make for cases?

I dont really want an otterbox, because I dont want to totally disguise the aesthetics of the phone itself.

thanks

Originally Posted by marmourjr

30t6p3b.gif

Google Chrome...
Not much else?
Safari
Chrome
Opera
Firefox
Camino are your options. I like Chrome best. Firefox isn't smooth on OSX

Sup y'all, can anybody recommend a good mac to ipod touch drag-n-drop application?

Freeware would be nice, but I'm also willing to pay if its a good program because I'll probably be using it more than once.

Back
Top Bottom