The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

sorry in advance, i'm sure this has been asked numerous times but i cant find it

my mac has kinda been lagging lately...it's not slow, butat times when im scrolling and passing a gif or something, it'll take a second...it didn't used to do this...i remember somebody asking about cleaning out there macs history...how do i do that???

a lil help

sorry in advance, i'm sure this has been asked numerous times but i cant find it

my mac has kinda been lagging lately...it's not slow, butat times when im scrolling and passing a gif or something, it'll take a second...it didn't used to do this...i remember somebody asking about cleaning out there macs history...how do i do that???

a lil help
I've been needing this answer as well.

Also still need help with getting facetime on my mac!?!?

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

is there a set date on this lion?

July 15 is what im hearing...

supposed to be tonight/tomorrow morning along with the new mac air 
apple employees have a night shift to prepare 

Originally Posted by Andrew630

I want more news with the new Macbook Air.

This, sandy bridge refresh im assuming, bigger ssds? They better not use that intel HD intergrated stuff

Originally Posted by UbUiBeMe

Originally Posted by TheGoogler

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

You need to use bootcamp and a windows install cd

Or Parallels.

Googler - In your opinion which one is better?

I prefer Parallels than boot camp mainly because I can run both OSs simultaneously. I don't have to restart to be able to go back to OSX once I'm done using Windows. I mostly use it for some software programs that are not compatible with Macs.

I couldn't really say one is better than the other, it depends what you plan to use Windows for. If you want to use Windows for gaming or a full-on Windows integration, then go with boot camp. Other than that, I would suggest going with Parallels.

Or Parallels.

I prefer Parallels than boot camp mainly because I can run both OSs simultaneously. I don't have to restart to be able to go back to OSX once I'm done using Windows. I mostly use it for some software programs that are not compatible with Macs.

I couldn't really say one is better than the other, it depends what you plan to use Windows for. If you want to use Windows for gaming or a full-on Windows integration, then go with boot camp. Other than that, I would suggest going with Parallels.
Pretty much if you'll be using some memory hog windows based application, bootcamp would be ideal.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Originally Posted by Andrew630

I want more news with the new Macbook Air.

This, sandy bridge refresh im assuming, bigger ssds? They better not use that intel HD intergrated stuff
sandy bride x thunderbolt or just thunderbolt im guessing 

Originally Posted by stylez23

Pretty much if you'll be using some memory hog windows based application, bootcamp would be ideal.
this.
parallels is great for basic applications though.  i really like that they updated it so you don't have to run windows in a window, you can just open windows applications right on your OSX screen

or if you plan on playing a pc specific game. running a game on parallels would work, but wouldnt be great.

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

is there a set date on this lion?

July 15 is what im hearing...

supposed to be tonight/tomorrow morning along with the new mac air 
apple employees have a night shift to prepare 
http://www.macrumors.com/...ing-to-launch-this-week/

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by presequel

or if you plan on playing a pc specific game. running a game on parallels would work, but wouldnt be great.
Thanks for all of the help guys. I appreciate it.
pimp.gif

I start grad. school in the fall and will be using Microsoft Excel a lot. I think I'll go with Parallels. Not much of a computer gamer.

^If all you want to use is office suit parallels is not needed at all just get the mac version of the ms office suite.

Originally Posted by Crumbs

^If all you want to use is office suit parallels is not needed at all just get the mac version of the ms office suite.
I understand that but I'm assuming Ohio State still uses PC's and I didn't want the hassle of using Excel on OSX and ultimately being lost because the interfaces are different. I just want to have Parallels on my Mac to be able to use Microsoft Excel in Windows.
grin.gif

I think this makes sense.
grin.gif

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My SSD just came in today and I just finished installing it and
eek.gif
[/font]

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My SSD just came in today and I just finished installing it and
eek.gif
[/font]

what does ssd do? I know its less likely for your HD to die on you.... is it faster?

How can connect my 09' MBP to my tv with sound?

Originally Posted by davizzy

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

eek.gif
[/font]

what does ssd do? I know its less likely for your HD to die on you.... is it faster?

How can connect my 09' MBP to my tv with sound?
an SSD reads/wirtes much faster than an HDD..a lot of people use it to host the computer's OS and applications

as for your third question, you need a HDMi cord, and HDMI to Displayport adaptor, and a 3.5mm to an audio source on your tv. RCA is probably most likely but youll get better sound from an optical port or another 3.5mm input

Originally Posted by remix

is SSD speed noticeable even?

of course it varies from age to model and other factors, but for the most part yes. SSD speeds are significantly faster across the board than your typical 5400/7200RPM hard drive, plus more reliable, hardy and more energy efficient given that there are no moving parts

Originally Posted by Crumbs

I understand that but I'm assuming Ohio State still uses PC's and I didn't want the hassle of using Excel on OSX and ultimately being lost because the interfaces are different. I just want to have Parallels on my Mac to be able to use Microsoft Excel in Windows.
grin.gif

I think this makes sense.
grin.gif

In my experience, the two open each other's files fine, unless there's some sort of Windows-only plug in that was used in the creation of the OG file. For example, there was an Excel plug in for Windows for SN accounting class, but the Mac version didn't work... The Mac version of the plug in. Really weird and inconvenient.

Back
Top Bottom