**..:The Official Jewelry Thread Vol. 11: You get a Jesus piece! You get a Jesus piece! Everybody gets a Jesus piece:..**

Does the cost of gold jewelry fluctuate as the live price of gold goes up and down. (Might be a dumb question, but it's been on my mind for a while)

Like lets say today I go to a jeweler and they quote me $5,000 for a chain. Then next week the price of gold drops generously. If I go back to the jeweler, can I expect that same chain to be somewhat cheaper?

Does the cost of gold jewelry fluctuate as the live price of gold goes up and down. (Might be a dumb question, but it's been on my mind for a while)

Like lets say today I go to a jeweler and they quote me $5,000 for a chain. Then next week the price of gold drops generously. If I go back to the jeweler, can I expect that same chain to be somewhat cheaper?

No. You can expect the value to change if you are selling/trading in to a jewelry store though because they will use the live price to calculate the value of what you have in most cases. I'm not an expert though I'm sure some other members could give you a better answer.

But generally, no the chain will not be cheaper.

There was a big discussion back when @ninjahood still posted about if it was more economical to bring solid, 24k gold into the jewelry store and have them use your gold to make a piece and only pay them for the labor, versus, just buying the same piece outright from them. I don't remember the conclusion if that discussion but it got pretty intense and if I recall correctly @JChambers or someone else ended up posting an email conversation with Daniel's Jewelry about the hypotheticals here. They could do it, but I don't remember if it was more economical. Honestly, the savings are probably not significant enough to deem this reasonable unless you've been sitting on gold for years before it really went up.

I'd be interested in finding those posts again. It was a good discussion.

No. You can expect the value to change if you are selling/trading in to a jewelry store though because they will use the live price to calculate the value of what you have in most cases. I'm not an expert though I'm sure some other members could give you a better answer.

There was a big discussion back when @ninjahood still posted about if it was more economical to bring solid, 24k gold into the jewelry store and have them use your gold to make a piece and only pay them for the labor, versus, just buying the same piece outright from them. I don't remember the conclusion if that discussion but it got pretty intense and if I recall correctly @JChambers or someone else ended up posting an email conversation with Daniel's Jewelry about the hypotheticals here. They could do it, but I don't remember if it was more economical. Honestly, the savings are probably not significant enough to deem this reasonable unless you've been sitting on gold for years before it really went up.

Because Nawww Gold is fungible Bee. :smokin But in all seriousness Ninjas idea was great on paper, but real life doesn't work that way. Bring your own beef patty and bun to Burger King and ask them to cook it for you and just pay them for their time, see the response you get. Business is business. |I

Last edited:

If you have to go this far then I'd say your better off going to school and interning to be a bench jewler.

Are most of the diamond works we see these days lab created (hpht and cvd) and not mined. I was under the impression so many stones are mined and sold and looking at the amount of diamonds floating around these can't be all mined.

New to this stuff so excuse me if it's a basic question.

I remember a few years back ben said that the price won't change because their chains in inventory were already purchased at a specific price, that was then I'm not sure if it's different now

Of course they won't lower it but let it be the opposite and the price raise.....I bet that chain will raise too

Are most of the diamond works we see these days lab created (hpht and cvd) and not mined. I was under the impression so many stones are mined and sold and looking at the amount of diamonds floating around these can't be all mined.

New to this stuff so excuse me if it's a basic question.

Lab created diamonds you see posted all over youtube, instagram, tweeter, etc. aren't real lab made diamonds. People fail to realize a real lab made diamond is still going to run you several thousand vs a comparable natural mined diamond. It'll be cheaper, but not by much.

Ninjahood posted a great documentary about debeers and how they control the diamonds in the world. They're truck loads of diamonds but they only release a certain amount to keep demand steady otherwise prices would drop.

Because Nawww Gold is fungible Bee. :smokin But in all seriousness Ninjas idea was great on paper, but real life doesn't work that way. Bring your own beef patty and bun to Burger King and ask them to cook it for you and just pay them for their time, see the response you get. Business is business. |I

:rofl:

Lab created diamonds you see posted all over youtube, instagram, tweeter, etc. aren't real lab made diamonds. People fail to realize a real lab made diamond is still going to run you several thousand vs a comparable natural mined diamond. It'll be cheaper, but not by much.

Ninjahood posted a great documentary about debeers and how they control the diamonds in the world. They're truck loads of diamonds but they only release a certain amount to keep demand steady otherwise prices would drop.
Yeah I understand the difference between lab made diamonds and simulants like moissanites cz etc.....

I was just wowed at the fact that the biggest diamond miner in the whole world sits on stones yet these jewelers make hefty livings on some thing that's limited.

Ok so there is no real shortage on diamonds then if they can be made. I guess that would explain the resell being so low.

Just trying to understand a few things thanks for the reply

Researchers Found a New, Easy Way to Turn Graphite Into Diamond

Since graphite—the dark material used in regular old pencils—and diamonds are both made from carbon, it's technically feasible to turn the former into the latter. You just need to apply a little pressure—about 150,000 times what the atmosphere on Earth's surface is like. But researchers at Stanford University claim to have found a shortcut.

After all, not everyone has access to machinery capable of generating that much pressure—but that might no longer be needed. The researchers stacked four incredibly thin sheets of graphite—microscopically small—onto a platinum metal support structure, and then topped it all of with a bit of hydrogen.

The Stanford team was actually trying to create a superior alternative to silicon, but instead they discovered the addition of hydrogen started a domino-like chain reaction that altered the structure of the graphite layers. Instead of being soft and brittle—which is what makes it ideal for pencils—the graphite became strong and sturdy like diamond.

But while the restructured graphite behaves like diamonds, it's not going to replace the oversized rocks used in engagement rings and other jewelry. The diamonds produced using this method are more suited for industrial applications like coatings that make cutting blades sharper and more durable, or electrochemical sensors. And since the process is much easier, producing diamonds this way should be considerably cheaper as well.

[Stanford SLAC via Gizmag]

http://gizmodo.com/researchers-found-a-new-easy-way-to-turn-graphite-into-1558137890

Where can I learn to do this stuff?

I'm really interested in sculpting my own pieces. What is the green stuff called? And also when you make the sculpture do you dip it in gold or what?

I know I sound so nooby but I have been thinking about starting out for quite a while.

Hi im new here but been lurkin here n saw this post n just wanted to educate you on this..

That is called jewelers wax, they do come in different colours, green being the hardest.
They dont dip it in gold, normally they do a process called "Lost wax casting", its kinda complicated but theres alot of videos on youtube showing how its done along with showing how to do many other things in the jewelry trade, wax carving included, hope this helped.
And there should be some classes around your area, if you go to any local jeweler they should be able to help you.

Last edited:
My fsvorite karat is 18k but I do lovr the pale look of 10k, of course its worth less and is brittle, but I csnt find a big herringbone in 18k, can anyone point me in the right direction? For a good price

Back
Top Bottom