THE OFFICIAL™ GRAPHIC DESIGN THREAD

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by LiLwAnG05

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

not sure if this is supposed to be spoken of here-- if not, delete this mods:

but how many of you NT'ers use pirated Adobe software (or how many people do you know in GD that are using it)? (it's not a trap btw lol)

The best time to buy Adobe is when you're a student. It's seriously pretty cheap compared to retail. Go through academic stores and you can get the whole Design Suite for less than $400.

Check out my site @ www.darickdang.com

Darick.....nice design portfolio. You have a great handle on all the mediums. One piece of advice that I can give (if I may).....although I haven't looked at all of your work but you have some serious tracking issues on all of your type. Like with the freight line layout in the print section, your tag line headings is just way too spaced out. I know you are trying to fill that negative space but you could have just chosen a better font that would have filled that space better without the tracking issues.

Anyways....just something I noticed.
Fongstarr, funny you say that. That Freightliner piece, the type was adjusted according to the client (and my art director). Not my choice.Usually (not all the time), the client has account execs who are faux art directors. Though it can get frustrating at times, they're the ones who arepaying so I do what they want.

If it were up to me, it'd be a 12pt baseline grid all day everyday.

^^^There were some other little tracking issues that I noticed on other though but if it is all client based approvals, I totally understand.

Not sure if people saw but SF's own Ordinary Kids (they do a lot of streetwear stuff as well as some local things and corporate as well) redid the Stussysite and their own as well. I would say they aren't the best but it's good that some design firms aren't going under anytime soon.

http://www.ordinarykids.com/#/stussy

^^^There were some other little tracking issues that I noticed on other though but if it is all client based approvals, I totally understand.

It was ridiculous how nit-picky non-creatives can get.

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

how hard is it to get internships and ect at some design firms? Generally speaking?

It's hard to say. Aside from a degree, your portfolio speaks wonders. My buddy just graduated from The Academy and they had one of those student job fairsand a company scouted him our and actually hired him as an intern all based on his work. Although he is in the animation department, I am positive it is justas hard to get an intern at a animation company like it is to get into a graphics company.

The ideal thing to do though is to do an internship while in college. This may seem super difficult cause you have to have work and experience even to be anintern but hopefully this is where your networking skills come in. But yeah....have an internship in college so by the time you graduate, you will have a joblined up either with the company you are interning for or at least have a decent resume to show to others. Also if possible, try to pull internships thatactually pay you. My type teacher stressed on that a lot cause he said if you are interning where you are getting paid, then that is more of a creditable thingthen just being that guy that gets coffee in the morning.

^ahhh i thought so. Preciate it Fongstarr. I think im gonna apply for internships in the spring tho. I graduate with a bfa in communication arts in may and imgoin back for a Graphic Design degree that'll take me 2 more years. Oh well might as well get on the grind now.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

My first vector piece. Only took a few hours. I impressed myself.

7729_158767361006_505191006_3917813_2759859_n.jpg

Respect! I freakin' hate doing vector drawing just for the fact that I am a lazy piece of crap. I can appreciate anything done in AI.
Okay, so I cheated a little. It's not TECHNICALLY a vector, rather a raster...

I did it in PS. I know my way around PS like it's nobody's business, but Ai I only know a little. This originally started as something that wassupposed to be just a simple thing and maybe some animation on the wheels, and then I started doing gradients, and then...well, a few hours later this cameout. The only thing I didn't do was the rims because I wanted spoked wheels to keep it looking like the original photo, but I was NOT about to do everysingle spoke on there.

Trying to gain a better understanding of some of this stuff:

What's a vector/raster? How do you go about creating something like the ones posted above?

What are the differences between PS and AI?

I play with PS in my spare time after class and whatnot, and am trying to expand upon that for leisure.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

NikeAirsNCrispyTees wrote:

My first vector piece. Only took a few hours. I impressed myself.

7729_158767361006_505191006_3917813_2759859_n.jpg

Respect! I freakin' hate doing vector drawing just for the fact that I am a lazy piece of crap. I can appreciate anything done in AI.
Okay, so I cheated a little. It's not TECHNICALLY a vector, rather a raster...

I did it in PS. I know my way around PS like it's nobody's business, but Ai I only know a little. This originally started as something that was supposed to be just a simple thing and maybe some animation on the wheels, and then I started doing gradients, and then...well, a few hours later this came out. The only thing I didn't do was the rims because I wanted spoked wheels to keep it looking like the original photo, but I was NOT about to do every single spoke on there.

Well, honestly the only thing that gave it away was that you said you did it in a few hours. Other then that, I would have never really known that was done onPS. I mean I knew the rims was PS'd but even without that, the whole care would be a total pain to do just cause it is mechanical and everything has to bemathematically correct. But this brings up a good thing. What your client doesn't know and what your audience won't know is sometimes a good thing whendoing projects. Say a client wants an auto ad with a vector style drawing in like 3 days. Why spend hours upon hours working on that in AI when you can do adecent one in PS in literally hours. Of course this depends on the client and what they actually want but don't bend over backwards. trying to do somethingwhen you really don't have to and can focus on other things instead.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

Trying to gain a better understanding of some of this stuff:

What's a vector/raster? How do you go about creating something like the ones posted above?

What are the differences between PS and AI?

I play with PS in my spare time after class and whatnot, and am trying to expand upon that for leisure.

From my knowledge...the major difference between a vector and rastor is a rastor consists of pixals or dots (hence the program Rastorbator that makes imagedinto dots).....so when you scale a rastered image, it can get pixalated when you make it larger. Vectors do not have scaling issues so whatever. You can makeit large or small and the clarity is always fine. That is why when doing logos, you would moreso want to do it in AI and not PS.

So you can pretty much translate all this into the differences of PS an AI. PS is all bitmap images or pixaled images. AI is all vector based. No one programis better then the other. Actually it's nice (to me anyways) to see both programs used. That is why I like magazine layouts. You can see people used allprograms from AI to PS and even lay them all out using Adobe Indesign.

This is a bad example of it but this is just something I saw on google. Pretty much used PS, AI and hopefully ID:

japan800.jpg

I don't know what this is but you never want type to be on it's side....unless this folds but I still don't see how this works.

A vector is a "shape" based on angles and equations; As in if you were to create a vector and enlarged it, it would NEVER be pixelated because itworks with equations. A raster is pixel based; As in, color changes are really just the change of opacity in a pixel. If you were to enlarge a raster, it wouldbe pixelated.

AI works in rasters, PS works in pixels. Additionally, PS is primarily for processing photos (obviously) and AI is primarily for design, but both can be usedfor one or the other.

I created that one by using a photo I shot as the background layer, and then created about a hundred layers over it using almost entirely the pen tool andadjusted the fills and gradients using layer blending tools. The shadow I did with a Drop Shadow brush and the Gaussian Blur filter. It took about 5 hours forme. My first vector, but I've been using PS for photo processing and basic flyers and band promotion stuff for about 4 years now.

Hope that helps.

hey. i know graphic design and industrial design are different, but i figure someone here should be able to answer my question.
i might be interested in industrial design. im a junior in high school right now.
what are some good schools to consider and what actions should I take that could help me in the future if I decide to down that path?

I'll be a freshman this year at the University of Oregon majoring in industrial design. I would recommend taking a pre-college course over the summer, Itook one at California College of the Arts and it gave me a pretty good idea what it would be like to pursue industrial design. Other than that just work onmaking a solid portfolio.

Originally Posted by CDub Yo

I'll be a freshman this year at the University of Oregon majoring in industrial design. I would recommend taking a pre-college course over the summer, I took one at California College of the Arts and it gave me a pretty good idea what it would be like to pursue industrial design. Other than that just work on making a solid portfolio.

why did you pick Oregon? alright thanks that helps.
smile.gif

been messin with the cargo collective system to see how it is

http://cargocollective.com/presequel/

dont have everything up but its pretty easy to setup. need to upload more recent work and descriptions.

i previously used indexhibit. wordpress gives you the most customization but depending on what you want, might not need all of it.

Originally Posted by il prescelto

Originally Posted by CDub Yo

I'll be a freshman this year at the University of Oregon majoring in industrial design. I would recommend taking a pre-college course over the summer, I took one at California College of the Arts and it gave me a pretty good idea what it would be like to pursue industrial design. Other than that just work on making a solid portfolio.

why did you pick Oregon? alright thanks that helps.
smile.gif
I wanted the whole college experience (sports, campus life, etc.) and I wouldn't get that going to an art school. Oregon and Nike have reallyclose ties as well so there's a good chance internships, projects, etc. will pop up. That's basically why I picked Oregon. The art schools that have PDwill probably have a better curriculum, but I personally felt that trade off was worth it. If you want to check out good art schools, look at RISD, Art Center,basically the big name art schools.

Very informative.

I'm taking a serious consideration to going into GD. I'm taking an Intro to Graphic Design class right now and fell completely inlove with it. I nowfind myself making project in my spare time.

Now I have a question. I can't draw to slave my life, will these cripple me in the field? I'm continuously drawing now to try and get better, althoughI think now I won't be able to.

Any advice?

Few things I've done recently in CS4. Haven't really PS'ed like I used to in a long time.
Earth Day AM1
2i9p6yt.jpg

Breast Cancer Awareness Blazer Hi SB
5frlmf.jpg

Answer XIII Home PE
mmu4pt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom