The NBA Stats Thread: The 15-year chain reaction that led to the NBA's current offensive explosion

@forumbluegold Vogel played his starters 24 minutes together in this game. In those minutes they had an OEff of 132.4 & a DEff of 99.8. That's damn good.
@forumbluegold 4 of the 5 Heat lineups with the most minutes in game 4 had a net efficiency rating of at least -15.7. YIKES.
@forumbluegold The starters, in 13 minutes, had that -15.7 differential. Lineup of Cole/Allen/LeBron/Battier/Birdman had a net rating of -47.7 in 8 minutes
No ref talk.

Kthanxbye.

Last edited:
CP is the only person I've ever seen online or off that discredits not defending a title.

What Tim Duncan has accomplishes given the talent he has played with in his career is nothing short of amazing.

Of all the players to enter the league in the last 30 years the only NBA player I'd take over him is Jordan.

Good for you. You will also see me saying quite clearly he is top 10 all time.

Has he, or has he not ever gone to back to back finals?

No.

Have MJ, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Russ, Wilt, West, Shaq, Kobe, Hakeem?

Yes.

Why are you complaining that I brought up a fact?

No.

Yes.

I'm not complaining but bringing up the fact that a 4 time NBA champion hasn't been to back to back Finals is as important as the price of tea in China.

No.

Yes.

I'm not complaining but bringing up the fact that a 4 time NBA champion hasn't been to back to back Finals is as important as the price of tea in China.
its pretty much the same as the undefeated in the finals stat, in the end its 4 championships you can come up with these things to credit or discredit what he has done but 4 titles speaks for its self.

personally i think going undefeated in the finals is the most overrated "stat" in sports

No.

Yes.

When you get down to the best of the best you split hairs. All the anti Kobe trolls go with the "he had Shaq" stuff, people argue Dream had no success outside the no MJ years, Bird never won back to back, Duncan never made 2 straight Finals, Russ played in a single era, Wilt didn't win enough, etc etc.

Those are the things that get broken down when discussing the top 10 all timers. Me pointing them out don't make me weird or crazy, just worth mentioning. As I said, Dunc still top 10 in my book so why you harp on me mentioning back to back is, how you say, worth the price of tea in Bejing, or something. :lol:

Last edited:
What Tim Duncan has accomplishes given the talent he has played with in his career is nothing short of amazing.

Of all the players to enter the league in the last 30 years the only NBA player I'd take over him is Jordan.

If I could, I would spend the next 6 hours repping this one post. :smokin

Duncan numbers among generation's best

Of the players in the post-Jordan era of the NBA, it’s a fair argument that Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant are two of the most accomplished individuals. While LeBron James will no doubt be a part of this discussion once his career is near its end, he has not yet built up a statistical resume quite as hefty as Duncan or Bryant.

Duncan (16 seasons) and Bryant (17) have about the same NBA service time, especially when you consider that Kobe was not much of an impact rookie in 1996-97 (7.6 PPG, 6 starts) while Duncan was the 1997-98 NBA Rookie of the Year, starting all 82 games and averaging 21.1 PPG and 11.9 RPG (keep in mind there were no 20-10 players in the entire NBA this season).

Individual/Regular-Season Success

Bryant is without question the more prolific scorer, averaging five more points for his career than Duncan. However, Duncan won two regular season MVPs (2001-02, 02-03), while Bryant has just one (2007-08). They were in direct competition for Duncan’s MVP awards also, as Bryant finished fifth and third respectively in the MVP voting for Duncan’s two MVP seasons.

While Duncan has a better percentage from the field for his career, Bryant has bested him by one in All-Star Games, All Defensive 1st team selections, and All-NBA 1st teams. In fact, Bryant tied Karl Malone for most 1st team All-NBA selections this season when he picked up his 11th such honor.

View media item 432764
Team/Postseason Success

Team success has been plentiful for both players, as both have made the playoffs 16 times. Duncan has never missed the playoffs in his entire career. Bryant, on the other hand, missed the playoffs in the 2004-05 season, ending the season under .500 at 34-48. Since Duncan joined the Spurs in 1997-98, they have never had a winning percentage lower than .610.

Additionally, Duncan’s teams have won at least 50 games in every season of his career except the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season (50 regular season games total), which was the season he won his first NBA title and NBA Finals MVP.

As far as playoff success goes, Bryant has won one more title than Duncan. However, Duncan is currently undefeated in the NBA Finals (4-0) and has one more Finals MVP trophy to his credit.

Advanced Metrics in Historical Context

Advanced metrics also slightly favor Duncan. Duncan has 184.2 career win shares (an estimate of the number of wins a player contributes to his team based on his offense and defense), over 10 more win shares than Bryant does for his career. The Spurs stalwart ranks ninth in win shares all time whereas Bryant is ranked 17th.

Defensive win shares show that Duncan really changes the game on that side of the ball. Duncan’s defensive win shares are 93.5 for his career, fifth-best all time behind Russell, Kareem, Olajuwon and Wilt.

Bryant’s 49.5 defensive win shares rank 46th all time for the sake of context. Again, Bryant is a far superior offensive talent, posting 30 more offensive win shares than Duncan for his career, but in terms of all-time ranks, Bryant is ninth and Duncan is 28th, a much closer disparity than on the defensive end.
Link

Last edited:
^
Solid look at it.

Kobe's team also knocked Duncan's Spurs out 4 out of 5 times during their primes. (and spare me any mention of Kobe was a nobody, etc, look at the numbers he put on those Spur teams back then, he was far from "Robin") (I already know it's coming anyways :lol: )

Also, this is the 3rd Finals trip for Pop in which Phil was out of the league. 99, 05, and 13. 03 and 07 the only years that Pop made a Finals run while Phil was coaching. I always find that interesting for some reason.

A Tim Duncan led team has never lost to a less talented team in the playoffs.

Ever.

Last edited:
And in between those two years he was swept by the Suns.

Mavs, Suns, Grizzlies 3 straight years. Those 3 teams won NOTHING those years.

You're drunk SneakerPro.

Ever.

These type posts what annoys me on Duncan/Spur lovers. Made up revisionist history. Took me 8 seconds to debunk your lame *** claim.

"Ever" :rofl: :rofl:

Happened 3 times the last 5 years. :lol: One of them being against his own favorite team. :smh:

Ever.

These type posts what annoys me on Duncan/Spur lovers. Made up revisionist history. Took me 8 seconds to debunk your lame *** claim.

"Ever" :rofl: :rofl:

Happened 3 times the last 5 years. :lol: One of them being against his own favorite team. :smh:

Just like "never beating anybody in the Finals"

The 2006 Dallas Mavericks beat a San Antonio Spur team whose 4th best player was Brent Barry. He wouldn't have broke the Mavs rotation that year.

Hell Darrell Armstrong would have got minutes on the Spurs that year.

Since this is the Advanced Stats thread Kobe Bryant is 29th all time in win shares per 48 and Tim Duncan is 11th.

Overall Tim Duncan is 8th all time and Kobe Bryant is 14th.

:D

Last edited:
BLUtOfuCMAAEr2j.jpg

AT this boy CP with back2back2back losing post like his lakers the past 3 seasons.

Homie mad that the San Antonio SPURS and Tim Duncan prove him wrong.

You're new here, or just a made up fake account for this lame post. You know yourself CP would ether you in an argument.

BLUtOfuCMAAEr2j.jpg

AT this boy CP with back2back2back losing post like his lakers the past 3 seasons.

Homie mad that the San Antonio SPURS and Tim Duncan prove him wrong.

You're new here, or just a made up fake account for this lame post. You know yourself CP would ether you in an argument.

Come on now you know who that is.

I know exactly who it is, that's why I love bringing up that CP always ethers him in any Spurs, Lakers related topic.

Was that......? :lol:

5for5, iono, kinda catchy SN. Not bad.

Pro, I don't even know what your 06 reference means, pretty damn sure I never mentioned that season in regard to Dunc losing to a lesser team. Dallas made the Finals that year, that's a fair beat.

I think we need a title change. Make it "which player had a better career, Terry Cummings or Hal Greer" or "how to calculate true shooting percentage by hand" or something.

Naw, it'll go away once games come back, relax. The Pacers are just wasting our time before the real series begins.

Naw, it'll go away once games come back, relax. The Pacers are just wasting our time before the real series begins.

True that, although i'm rooting Pacers for the upset, I know Heat will win in 7.

By then, I'll root for the Spurs just because I want TMac to win a ring. :smokin

Back
Top Bottom