The IMAX Scam

This isn't entirely new, but i just copped tickets for early showing of Mission Impossible and my boy told me a specific theater out of 4 in nyc to buy tickets at. In asking why, he put me on to this scam that blew my mind....

Couldn't find a thread with this info so i figured putting it all on a thread so you guys will know whats up.

Posted By: Adam Wisnieski
Wednesday, May 13,2009

Aziz Ansari has started a campaign against AMC because he feels some of their IMAX showings are duping consumers into paying an extra $5. Aziz, one of my favorite comedians who has gained success from MTV's Human Giant and the new NBC show Parks and Recreation, recently blogged about paying the extra $5 to see Star Trek on an IMAX screen that was not much bigger than a regular-sized screen. With some research, he uncovered the truth behind IMAX and AMC’s scheme. Check the graphic, from the LF Examiner website explaining the differences. Look how much bigger Lincoln Center’s IMAX is compared to Empire 25’s. Both are billed as IMAX movies, yet one is definitely not worth the extra money.

IMAX claims their smaller screens still give audience members “the IMAX Experience,

Old news. The term "Mini-Max" has been coined for these type of theaters.
BTW, this the reason why the difference matters:

2ryszz8.jpg

It's not just the size of the screen, but the clarity of picture and the depth. Anyone who has seen the opening in TDK may have had that weird feeling of vertigo as the IMAX camera was panning over the buildings.

Don't forget 3D. However, the new movie Hugo, directed by Scorcese, is supposed to be the first true must-see 3D film.

Am I the only who expects 3D movies to pop out at you? These AMC 3D movies are crap. No different than my Evo 3D.

This isn't exactly news. Multiplexes tend to not have true IMAX screens (they're not designed to support them). I don't go to those because it's not worth it. If I want to see a movie in true IMAX, I go to the Science Center (Seattle).

^ fair enough. but ive seen big screens that aren't even IMAX, whereas screens that aren't much bigger are IMAX. if im paying extra for a bigger screen, and in some cities extra is really EXTRA, why not watch it on a big %++ screen? at least in nyc, IMAX ain't cheap so id rather not pay a lot more for little difference. actually thats for anywhere.

as for science centers i kno they tend to use a dome screen, which i find nice for science films imo. ive heard mixed experiences when watching movies on it.

and like i said my bad if old news, but im sure a lot of people don't know this info.

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

Wait wait wait wait wait wait, you thought 300 sucked?!?!?
300 is the only movie I've ever almost walked out of, and that's saying a lot, because I've seen some really bad movies in theaters.

Originally Posted by Tego Calderon El Abayarde

So will I be able to watch the dkr prologue/mi4 at lincoln center?

laugh.gif

What are you asking?

Will you be able to see it there? Yes if you want to

Or are you asking will it be out in the Lincoln Center IMAX theatre, then yes most likely.

When I think IMAX I think about the science centers and their systems.  Everything else is tiny.

I did a project on this last year and read a Harvard Business case study on it. It's definitely a scam. It's why they are losing money as a company. People know regular theaters that offer IMAX are not true IMAX.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

300 is the only movie I've ever almost walked out of, and that's saying a lot, because I've seen some really bad movies in theaters.
300 was the only movie I felt like a real man walking out of.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

It's not just the size of the screen, but the clarity of picture and the depth. 
I can't even watch movies at regular theatres or my eyes start killing me. Watching 1080p HD this and Blu Ray that definitely has its effects.

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

Am I the only who expects 3D movies to pop out at you? These AMC 3D movies are crap. No different than my Evo 3D.

3D is terrible.

IMAX>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3D

hell, regular HD in my living room>>>>>>3D

Originally Posted by Iceberg Slim

300 was trash. 

so did you guys think it was going to be a to the fact re-telling, or did you really think a movie shot almost entirley in front of a blue screen was going to have a deep, involving story??

Back
Top Bottom