The Concept Of Carrying A Team: What Does It Mean To You?

Just wondering.......

Does the actual success of a team factor into the equation? Say if I have a team that is a known losing franchise, can a player (single player) be credited for carrying that squad?

Just wondering.......

Does the actual success of a team factor into the equation? Say if I have a team that is a known losing franchise, can a player (single player) be credited for carrying that squad?

Sure. They won't win anything of any significance, but they can absolutely be credited with carrying a team.

Sure. They won't win anything of any significance, but they can absolutely be credited with carrying a team.

r2mvp_2008_2.jpg

wade.. from a 15 win season to
08-09.. 30.2 pts, 7.5 ast, 5.0 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 2.2 steals...

wade.. from a 15 win season to
08-09.. 30.2 pts, 7.5 ast, 5.0 rebounds, 1.3 blocks, 2.2 steals...

But Wade and LeBron made the playoffs.

I am speaking of someone like Monta Ellis. Who has never been the leader of the GSW and made it anywhere. Do you still credit him for carrying that team?

My personal definition (differs from person to person) is if a team doesn't go anywhere, then they can't be credited with carrying a squad.

Might be harsh but that is how I view that situation.

But Wade and LeBron made the playoffs.

I am speaking of someone like Monta Ellis. Who has never been the leader of the GSW and made it anywhere. Do you still credit him for carrying that team?

My personal definition (differs from person to person) is if a team doesn't go anywhere, then they can't be credited with carrying a squad.

Might be harsh but that is how I view that situation.

I would think you would have to have some type of success, like multiple playoff appearances. If you are putting up great numbers but aren't winning, I wouldn't say that player is carrying a team though it may not be their fault they haven't had any success.

I would think you would have to have some type of success, like multiple playoff appearances. If you are putting up great numbers but aren't winning, I wouldn't say that player is carrying a team though it may not be their fault they haven't had any success.

Originally Posted by StylishStef89

I would think you would have to have some type of success, like multiple playoff appearances. If you are putting up great numbers but aren't winning, I wouldn't say that player is carrying a team though it may not be there fault they haven't had any success.
I am not saying he should be blamed either. But we can't ignore than certain player game style isn't conducive to winning ball games as a collective unit.

I would think you would have to have some type of success, like multiple playoff appearances. If you are putting up great numbers but aren't winning, I wouldn't say that player is carrying a team though it may not be there fault they haven't had any success.
I am not saying he should be blamed either. But we can't ignore than certain player game style isn't conducive to winning ball games as a collective unit.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I agree, but how do you know that? How would you judge a player like A.I.? He managed to make a Finals appearance in his career, and also missed the playoffs several times. Would you say he wasn't conductive to winning games as a collective unit? Or what about Shareef Abdur Rahim. It took him YEARS to finally get into the playoffs...would you say his playing style wasn't conductive to winning?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I agree, but how do you know that? How would you judge a player like A.I.? He managed to make a Finals appearance in his career, and also missed the playoffs several times. Would you say he wasn't conductive to winning games as a collective unit? Or what about Shareef Abdur Rahim. It took him YEARS to finally get into the playoffs...would you say his playing style wasn't conductive to winning?

If Blake carries his team to contention of a playoff spot in the final week (even if they don't make it) I would consider that "carrying" 

Without him, the team is in line for a top 3 pick.  Baron Davis is back to being dead, Gordon shoots 33 times a night, and the other kids get pushed around with no direction. 

Carrying to me at least implies knowing that you're moving forward towards something.  Blake does that. 
Carrying does NOT imply to me that a team is stuck at 25 wins 3 years straight.  There's no solid proof of that team going forward. 

If you go 15 wins, 20 wins, 25 wins, then I can see someone making a claim, "he's carrying this team forward"  (albeit slowly)  

If Blake carries his team to contention of a playoff spot in the final week (even if they don't make it) I would consider that "carrying" 

Without him, the team is in line for a top 3 pick.  Baron Davis is back to being dead, Gordon shoots 33 times a night, and the other kids get pushed around with no direction. 

Carrying to me at least implies knowing that you're moving forward towards something.  Blake does that. 
Carrying does NOT imply to me that a team is stuck at 25 wins 3 years straight.  There's no solid proof of that team going forward. 

If you go 15 wins, 20 wins, 25 wins, then I can see someone making a claim, "he's carrying this team forward"  (albeit slowly)  

I damn sure wouldn't attach the word CARRY to Blake Griffin's name. He doesn't carry the Clippers, not sure how you can say he does. Yes, he puts them over the top of that hump but that doesn't mean he carries them.

I damn sure wouldn't attach the word CARRY to Blake Griffin's name. He doesn't carry the Clippers, not sure how you can say he does. Yes, he puts them over the top of that hump but that doesn't mean he carries them.

Back
Top Bottom