The College Basketball Post

Cook plans more 'unofficials' (visits that are not financed by the college being toured), specifically "UNC, Duke, NC State, and VirginiaTech".

That group more or less mirrors Quinn's list of favorites, a grouping that includes not only G'Town, but "Duke, Virginia Tech, UNC, Tennessee, andTexas".

Class of 2011 guard Quinn Cook jumped onthe Washington, DC area hoops scene with a vengeance last season, averaging approximately eight points and six assists per game, while starting half the seasonand playing around 20 minutes per contest. Not bad work, particularly when you consider he attends and plays for DeMatha Catholic High School (Hyattsville,MD), a program so loaded with perimeter talent that possibly seven such players on last year's team could receive Division I scholarships.

Cook, a guard standing around 6'0" and weighing 165 pounds was poised for a big spring/summer this year with his travel team, DC Assault; many assumedhe would become a household name on the circuit and consequently amongst recruitniks nationally. Plans don't always materialize as envisioned.

[table][tr][td]
677190.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]i95Ballerz.com[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Cook is a multi-talented athlete, having spent some time in DeMatha's golf program.[/td] [/tr][/table]"I slightly tore my meniscus in May" recently shared Cook, of the physical setback to his left knee. He went on totab his recuperation level as "80 maybe 90 percent".

Though he's not playing much basketball, Quinn has not been lounging all summer, as he noted "I've just been working out, putting up shots,lifting, running, waking up in the morning and getting in the pool". Summing his effort, the communicative and intelligent Cook said "I've beenputting in overtime, because I missed the whole summer".

Always a lead guard capable of penetrating defenses to make things happen, the precocious Cook has redoubled his effortsto improve in terms of "Quickness, my strength, and making my jump shot consistent". Ironically, he also believes the injury has advanced his hoopsmaturity, since he's "been watching all summer" which allows him to "know the game more" including coach's reactions to whatplayers do.

Despite the missed travel team season, Quinn is known to a number of recruiters, with not only Georgetown and Syracuse, but "Tennessee, Texas, Duke,Maryland, Virginia Tech, Connecticut, Xavier" and "a couple of others" having expressed recruiting interest. He was also seen last season atVerizon Center, taking in a number of Georgetown games.

It's a good bet not only will other schools become interested, but as he gets older that attention will intensify. In fact, that could almost beestablished as a given.

Quinn Cook
Point Guard, 5'11, class of 2011

Strong Point: Versatile guard with quick hands and a strong finisher.

Area of Improvement: Can be too careless with the ball.

The Skinny:
Quinn is another early bloomer from the point guard position, and has shown a load of developed talent thus far. Despite his streaky ball-handling skills, Cookis a fairly consistent shooter that has plenty of range, but can also drive the hole and make a strong finish. His defense was quick and had his man locked upfor the most part of the game, and even worked several turnovers. While Quinn has plenty of time to develop even more in his game, it is safe to say that atthis moment, D-1 interest for the guard is imminent.

McAdoo Checks Out Late Night Premium Story

By Evan Daniels
Special to IC
Posted Oct 27, 2008

James McAdoo, a sophomore at Norfolk (Va.) Christian, took his second unofficial visit to North Carolina this past weekend for the Tar Heels' "LateNight With Roy" festivities.

Joining a handful of underclassmen and all of North Carolina's 2009 and 2010 commitments, McAdoo hung out in the Dean Dome during the event Friday eveningand came away raving about the experience.

"It was awesome," McAdoo said. "I had never been to something like that so of course I thought it was crazy. I really liked it. It just showedthat all the guys could go out there and have fun."

"I loved it," he continued. "But then again I wouldn't say that after I've seen it that I want to go there. It gives me something that Ican compare to. I've seen what they have to offer."

But McAdoo's visit to North Carolina didn't end Friday night The 6-foot-8, 205-pound Class of 2011 power forward took in one of Roy Williams'practices on Saturday morning.

"I got to see them practice, which is kind of cool and I got to see the behind the scenes," McAdoo said. "I liked how they practice and it was agood practice."

With so many prospects on campus, McAdoo, who doesn't yet have a scholarship offer from UNC, said he didn't get to spend a ton of time talking withtheir coaching staff, but they did inform him that they were interested.

"They were just checking in on me and let me know that they are interested and told me I need to stay focused on school and working on my game," theTop 10 prospect said.

McAdoo currently holds scholarship offers from Florida, UCLA and Wake Forest. Duke is also involved and he took a trip to Durham following his visit to UNC.

With all of the early recruiting attention, McAdoo has spent a lot of time thinking about the recruiting process, and has even thought about the possibility ofmaking an early commitment.

"I've thought about it, but then again I haven't been to all of these schools that are recruiting me," McAdoo said. "I'm not goingto commit to one school if I haven't given these other schools a chance and haven't been down there to talk to the coaches and see the school. I'mjust going to out there and soak all the knowledge up and see how they compare."

McAdoo's next trip will be to Gainesville (Fla.) for an unofficial visit to the University of Florida in mid-November.

^

You headed to Frankin on Friday night?

I heard they trying to keep it to only UNC students this year (No Idea how they are gonna do that)

You headed to Frankin on Friday night?

I heard they trying to keep it to only UNC students this year (No Idea how they are gonna do that)
Real talk, I met my ex-gf from Wake on Franklin street Halloween night in '04. Halloween on Franklin St is muy bueno
pimp.gif

I'll probably stay around the PiKA house Friday night. Franklin can get sketch sometimes plus the cops and town are trying to really crack down. Bars aresupposed to stop serving drinks at 1.

Are you planning on heading that way Dre?

Malta- You gotta love the way these girls dress on Halloween
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

So Nov. 10th are the first TV games? But they're all on ESPNU?!!

When do the first games air on the reg. networks?

Probably that marathon they got..

the full court schedule should be out any day now too
nerd.gif

ESPNU
pimp.gif
...if you can get it, get it...so many games. Almost makes FullCourt pointless.

Quick hitters for Tuesday:
• Nevada coach Mark Fox said he has no idea when starting guard Brandon Fields andfreshmen Ahyaro Phillips and London Giles will be reinstated after a shoplifting incident earlier this month.
Fox wascounting on Fields being his leader in the backcourt after he started all but one game last season. He was the Wolf Pack's third-leading scorer with 12.4points a game. Nevada, the likely WAC favorite, could struggle without Fields. That's fine. Fox says he's not about to compromise. He's extremelydisappointed with the incident. "It was a shock," Fox said. "I expect them to live up to a standard. There's no question we were counting onhim." In Fields' absence, Fox said assistant coach Kwanza Johnson, who played at Tulsa, has had to practice. Fox said Johnson is still in good shapeand the Wolf Pack need the bodies. He said Lyndale Burleson, a senior guard, willreplace Fields, a junior, for the foreseeable future. Luke Babbitt hasn't beenaffected. The highly touted freshman forward is expecting to make a major contribution. Fox said he's living up to the hype with a terrific attitude,passing and ability to finish plays. • Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said LeVance Fieldswill do five-on-zero workouts this week but will not participate in any contact drills. The plan for Fields, recovering from foot surgery and an infection thatoccurred after the procedure, is to go two days on, one day off for the foreseeable future. Dixon said Fields is due for X-rays to check on the healing of thefoot on Monday. • Virginia Tech is scrimmaging at Georgetown this weekend. Memphis is at Saint Louis. Nevada is at Saint Mary's. A number of thesescrimmages are taking place across the country. Coaches prefer these to exhibition games, but at a number of schools they must play an exhibition game becausethey need the revenue of a home game. • The A-10 made its preseason predictions known Tuesday and it shouldn't come as a surprise that Xavier was the pickto win the league. Temple, Dayton, Saint Joseph's, Charlotte, UMass and Saint Louis were the top seven. Richmond, Rhode Island, La Salle, GeorgeWashington, Duquesne, Fordham and St. Bonaventure were the bottom seven. If there is one team in the top seven that could surprise and win the A-10 it islikely UMass. The Minutemen, under new coach Derek Kellogg, return the top backcourt in the league with Ricky Harris and ChrisLowe. Experienced guards are a must in this and any league. But what was obvious in looking at the three all-league teams, all rookie-team andall-defensive team is that this league is devoid of a star. That doesn't mean someone like Derrick Brown of Xavier or Dionte Christmas of Temple can't become one, but the league enters the season without anationally known name. • The Missouri Valley conference issued its predictions and Creighton was the top pick. Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Drake,Bradley, Northern Iowa, Indiana State, Evansville, Wichita State and Missouri State round out the league. The top five in this league will all be competitiveenough for postseason berths. It's still amazing to me how far Wichita State has fallen since Mark Turgeon left. I wonder if Gregg Marshall would haverather stuck it out at Winthrop and seen if he could have landed South Carolina last spring when Dave Odom retired. Instead, he was in Kansas while Darrin Hornof Western Kentucky was the opportunistic one, landing the job after a Sweet 16 appearance. • Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett could have easily gone toOregon State. Why did he stay? "Because I like it here," Bennett said last week in his office, which is adorned with multiple Australian flags.Bennett has had a history of luring Aussies to Saint Mary's and has five on this season's roster. "I like the players, the staff and the school. Ilike what it's about."
Bennett is entering his eighth year at the school and his decision to stay in Moraga will help Saint Mary's stay competitive with Gonzaga atop the WCCfor years to come.
• ESPN and coaches in the WCC should be pleased to know that McKeon Pavilion has new lights. Games at Saint Mary's have seemed darkon television and also to those who have coached in the games. The Gaels have three home games on the ESPN family of networks -- Gonzaga on Feb. 12, San Diegoon Feb. 19 and the BracketBuster game on Feb. 21.

NCB

2 comments on "Nevada and Pitt's PG worries"

USC roster deep even as Stepheson awaits waiver

Monday, October 27, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Andy Katz
LOS ANGELES -- Alex Stepheson took the feed in the post and dunked with authority.
Granted it was a drill, and there was no defensive pressure, but the emphatic slam signaled a significant change for USC.

If Stepheson's presence was this pronounced in practice, what would happen if he were granted a waiver to play without sitting out a season aftertransferring from North Carolina? The balance of power in the Pac-10 could shift within L.A.

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3666840&story=2867580','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3666840&story=2867580','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
ncb_e_astephenson_200.jpg

USC Athletic Department

The season is a waiting game for Alex Stepheson as the NCAA reviews his request for a hardship waiver.

Stepheson could have that kind of impact if an NCAA committee grants his wish to play immediately due to a family hardship.

Put Stepheson next to junior forward Taj Gibson and the Trojans would have the most experienced front line in the conference. Add these two to a startingperimeter of junior guards Daniel Hackett and Dwight Lewis and arguably one of the top freshmen in the country in DeMar DeRozan, and suddenly the Trojans couldhave the most experienced and talented starting five in the conference. Nudging out an experienced Arizona State and challenging UCLA for the Pac-10 titlewouldn't be out of the question.

Stepheson, a 6-foot-9, 235-pound junior out of Harvard-Westlake High in Los Angeles, said he transferred out of North Carolina to be closer to his family.He is still awaiting approval from the NCAA to see if he can play immediately. In the meantime, he's in with the starting unit in practice, as he was lastweek when ESPN.com checked in at the Galen Center.

"He is a terrific rebounder,'' USC coach Tim Floyd said. "The difficult thing right now is that we have to play one way with him andanother way without him. Without him we'll play four [guards] out and one in [Gibson or another forward], and with him we'll playdifferent.''

Stepheson's case is fluid and could be decided any day. He said the NCAA has asked for more documentation, notably from his parents' doctors.

"My parents' health is bad, my sister has issues too,'' Stepheson said. "It's hard for my parents to function, so I do what I can.I transferred back here to be closer to them and help them around the house and move around.''

Stepheson said he would rather not go into detail about what the specific condition is with which his parents are dealing. But Stepheson said he has beenable to get home plenty despite being a full-time student and practicing with the team for hours each day.

"We live about 6.5 miles from SC, so I can get there within 15 minutes and help them out,'' Stepheson said. "I'm home a lot, everyother day, taking the trash out, helping my mom carry stuff and talking to my dad to keep him positive.''

Stepheson said that originally he considered winning an appeal to be a reach, but said now that he's involved in the process, it's hard not to thinkabout playing this season.

"I want to play, but there's always next year,'' Stepheson said.

Stepheson can offer a unique perspective on the depth of USC's talent. The Trojans' second unit is filled with solid role players; this squad isdevoid of a scrub from one to 14.

Donte Smith is a solid JC transfer at the point; Leonard Washington is a bruising wing who can board and make a midrange jumper; veteran big men KeithWilkinson, the one senior who will log serious minutes, and Kasey Cunningham know Floyd's system well; Mamadou Diarra, a slender shot-blocker, is finallyhealthy after being banged up a year ago; and if Marcus Simmons comes back from a yearlong ankle injury, he could be a vital role player off the bench,too.

The Trojans also get swing man Marcus Johnson, a transfer from Connecticut who is eligible in mid-December. Even freshman Percy Miller, better known asrapper Romeo (formerly Lil' Romeo) and son of rapper Master P, could stroke a few shots and handle the point if need be during practice. Floyd said thatbig man Nikola Vucevic from Montenegro might end up redshirting because there is so much depth up front.

Former South Carolina coach Dave Odom, who was observing practice last week, said he wondered if there were seven or eight teams in the country with moretalent than USC.

"We're pretty similar in that we both have talent and a deep bench this year,'' Stepheson said of his former team, the consensus No. 1 TarHeels. "I think we match up well with North Carolina.''

Stepheson said he wasn't sure what to expect when he transferred from a program that thinks "national championship" every season.

"But everyone here has a great work ethic and is working extremely hard with the intention on winning a national championship,'' Stephesonsaid.

Having him eligible would help.

"He's a big difference-maker, rebounding the ball and blocking shots and has so much experience off the court, too,'' Gibson said."He's an animal in the weight room. He would help me a lot in the Pac-10. There are a lot of tough games in the Pac-10, and having another big mandown there would be better for me.''

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3666843&story=2867580','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3666843&story=2867580','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
ncb_e_derozan_200.jpg

USC Athletic Department

Freshman DeMar DeRozan is expected to be an immediate contributor.

Stepheson played in 75 games the past two seasons with the Tar Heels. He averaged only 4.5 points a game last season but that was largely because of someplayers ahead of him named Tyler Hansbrough and Deon Thompson (Brandan Wright the previous season, too).

"We appear to be a better posting team with more guys who can post since we've only had one since we've been here, in Taj, and now we'vegot four,'' Floyd said. "We will be a better rebounding team. That's been the thorn in our side.''

If Stepheson gets denied, it will put more pressure on Gibson. But he has just as much if not more help than a season ago.

O.J. Mayo is gone after his one season in college, and so, too, is Davon Jefferson up front. But the addition of DeRozan might make up for Mayo quickly.DeRozan is incredibly smooth in getting to a spot to score. He isn't very verbal just yet, but has blended in quite well with the first unit. He reeks ofstar quality.

DeRozan said he is impressed with how hard the Trojans are working so far and how athletic the team is. But the feeling is mutual.

"He's handling everything so well,'' Hackett said. "He has a lot of poise on the court and has a great understanding of thegame.''

Hackett said Mayo probably felt more responsibility than DeRozan to come in and produce. A year ago, the Trojans were riddled with injuries, lackedexperience and had a depleted roster. DeRozan arrives with a stocked roster, a healthy team and the ability to slide onto the court without wearing the burdenof the Trojans' win-loss record on his shoulders.

"The pressure is on him because he's in L.A.,'' said Gibson, who could add that DeRozan is from L.A., too, making it even more important todo well at home. "He comes to play and he knows what he has to do.''

Floyd said he's been impressed by how well DeRozan has handled the learning curve thus far. He doesn't have to worry about DeRozan's reactionsto new situations.

"At times, he's got drop-your-jaw talent,'' Floyd said of the 6-7 swingman. "He's going to be a great addition. He's a specialtalent. He should be able to have an impact early on."

Add to that Hackett and Lewis, who don't crave or receive headlines often but are experienced perimeter players in a sport in which veteran guards helpteams advance deep into March.

"Last year we had a lot of hope but we didn't finish strong,'' Gibson said of the first-round NCAA tournament loss to Kansas State."This year, we've got a veteran team, and with Alex hopefully eligible and Hackett and Dwight Lewis and a whole bunch of contributors like Dante andDeMar helping us a lot, the sky's the limit.''

DeMatha must have a pretty good team with Naji Hibbert, Josh Selby, and Quinn Cook...

Big East heads, what do you think of my fantasy team?

G-Deonta Vaughn
pimp.gif

G-Corey Chandler
G-Will Walker
F- Da'sean Butlet
F-Wes Matthews
F-Rashaed Bishop
C-Alex Rivas Sanchez
C-John Flowers.

Got stuck on centers.

Samuels, Monroe, and Hanke were all taken 3 picks in a row in front of me.
smh.gif

The Trojans also get swing man Marcus Johnson, a transfer from Connecticut who is eligible in mid-December.
Damn I wish this fool ain't transfer. That's a good lil addition for USC though. He's got talent, just kind of a Pu_ _y.

Big East heads, what do you think of my fantasy team?

G-Deonta Vaughn
pimp.gif

G-Corey Chandler
G-Will Walker
F- Da'sean Butlet
F-Wes Matthews
F-Rashaed Bishop
C-Alex Rivas Sanchez
C-John Flowers.

Got stuck on centers.

Samuels, Monroe, and Hanke were all taken 3 picks in a row in front of me.
Damn. I can't gauge how bad (or decent
laugh.gif
) your squadis until I know what the other squads are lookin' like, but damn you a lil skinny on big men and you usin' Wes Matthews at the forward spot whenI'm sure you could have got someone more equipped there (nh).

Originally Posted by Juicy J 32

I'll probably stay around the PiKA house Friday night. Franklin can get sketch sometimes plus the cops and town are trying to really crack down. Bars are supposed to stop serving drinks at 1.

Are you planning on heading that way Dre?
I might...I dunno.

Homecoming is this weekend also.

So I dunno. I'll be drunk somewhere in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill all weekend

when i gota look up to see who a BE player is...ehh..

but yeah how many teams in that league...and where you play it at
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

when i gota look up to see who a BE player is...ehh..

but yeah how many teams in that league...and where you play it at
nerd.gif

To give you guys an idea. Its just run by this guy my stepdad knows. Its all run by him. He does all the website and updating.

http://www.geocities.com/resilient3/

Check the site. Its not updated from this year but it gives you an idea.

But I agree on Wes Matthews. He isn't the best forward. Prolly more of a guard. But he is listed as a F in the league.

Vaughn better
pimp.gif

smh.gif
UCLA might have no depth at guard for 09; Lee, Anderson, Roll
sick.gif
Howland might have to settle for a late emerging prospect

Glad to see Gaddy stay at home and go to UW. Him and Thomas could be very nasty in the backcourt together, and he may be able to sway other players to UW withhim.

Bob McClellan
Rivals.com College Basketball Editor
Our rankings of the top 10 point guards are a microcosm of our top 65 rankings - dominated by the Big East but North Carolina at No. 1.

The Big East has four point guards on our list; no other league has more than two in our top 10.

The strength of the Big East is going to be a popular refrain this season. Maybe one reason it is expected to be so dominant is because of its talent and experience at point guard. When we expand our list at each position to 25 when we release our Power Rankings before the start of the season, there could be as many as seven Big East point guards.
[table][tr][td]
LAWSONWSU250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]North Carolina's Ty Lawson will lead the nation's No. 1 team.[/td] [/tr][/table]
"This is a guard-oriented league, and the depth of the guards is unprecedented," Rutgers coach Fred Hill said. "Just look at the backcourts at Villanova, Connecticut, Notre Dame and Marquette. There are some really special players in there, and that is one of the main reasons this league is so deep."

The list of special players includes Marquette senior Dominic James, part of a three-guard starting lineup for the Golden Eagles.

"When you start going through the teams in the league, it seems like everyone has a great point guard," James said. "(Connecticut's) A.J. Price has done a great job. (Villanova's) Scottie Reynolds has really led his team. (Pittsburgh's) Levance Fields has put his team in a position to be very successful."

Who does James believe is on top in the Big East?

"If I couldn't say myself, I'd probably lean towards A.J. because he has so many people to go to," James said.

Nonetheless, the top two guys on our list won't have any fear of the Big East. Each of them has been somewhere none of the Big East point guards has been - the Final Four. In fact, they have four national semifinals appearances between them.

It's a good bet someone from the Big East will join the club in 2009. Our Nos. 1 and 2 hope to be back there waiting for him.

RIVALS.COM'S 2008-09 TOP 10 POINT GUARDS

1. Ty Lawson, North Carolina, Jr., 5-11/195
He entered the NBA draft but withdrew late in the process, automatically moving the Tar Heels from ACC favorite to national favorite. One of the fastest players in the game with the ball in his hands, Lawson is adept at getting in the lane and setting up teammates. He also has a knack for finishing on forays to the basket even when off-balance. He averaged 12.7 points, 5.2 assists (third in the ACC) and 1.6 steals per game last season and had an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.36-1 to lead the conference. He also is one of the best free-throw shooters in the ACC (sixth at 83.5 percent). The bottom line is he makes good decisions with the ball almost every time.

2. Darren Collison, UCLA, Sr., 6-0/160
It says a lot about Collison that the Bruins have been to three Final Fours in his three years on campus. Like Lawson, his speed is one of his greatest weapons, and he also can be counted on to get the ball in the right player's hands. He averaged 14.5 points, 3.8 assists and 1.8 steals per game last season. Collison also has made himself into an outstanding perimeter shooter: He shot a sizzling 52.5 percent (53-of-101) from 3-point range. Collison has shot better from the field, 3-point line and free-throw line in each of his three seasons.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
LFIELDSBE250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Levance Fields missed time with an injury last season, but Pitt was 19-4 when he was healthy.[/td] [/tr][/table]
3. A.J. Price, Connecticut, Sr., 6-2/181
Price had his breakout season last season, ranking second in the Big East in assists (5.82 to Notre Dame's Tory Jackson's 5.85), fourth in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.46-to-1) and 15th in scoring (14.5 ppg). He led the Huskies in 3-pointers (52) and steals (43). His return from an ACL tear suffered in an NCAA first-round loss to San Diego is critical to the Huskies' hopes of claiming their third national title in the past 10 season. "He's our leader," UConn coach Jim Calhoun said. "He's got the street cred. The guys pay attention to him." They should because he'll get the ball to them in the right spots, and he can shoulder much of the scoring load.

4. Jeremy Pargo, Gonzaga, Sr., 6-2/219
Pargo went through the NBA evaluation process before deciding to return for his final season. He's the reigning West Coast Conference player of the year after leading the WCC in assists (6.0) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.79-1). He's an explosive player, and he's more physical than many at his position. He tallied 18 points, six assists, five rebounds and three steals against Davidson in a first-round NCAA tournament loss. For the season, Pargo averaged 12.1 points and 1.4 steals. He also shot 49.7 percent, proof that he's adept at getting in the lane and getting good looks because he's not particularly dangerous from the perimeter (26.5 percent from 3-point range).

5. Levance Fields, Pittsburgh, Sr., 5-10/190
The Panthers went 19-4 last season in the 23 games Fields was able to start. They were 8-4 in the 12 games he missed with a broken foot. Four of the 19 wins came in an amazing run to the Big East tournament title. Fields earned all-tourney honors after averaging 11.3 points, 5.5 assists and 4.0 rebounds as Pitt took down in succession Cincinnati, Louisville, Marquette and Georgetown. He averaged 11.9 points, 5.3 assists and 3.9 rebounds for the season. His assist average would have ranked third in the Big East but he didn't play in the required 75 percent of Pittsburgh's games. His assist-to-turnover ratio of 3.18-to-1 was the best in school history.

6. Jonny Flynn, Syracuse, Soph., 6-0/186
The Big East Conference Co-Rookie of the Year delivered on his five-star status last season. He averaged 15.7 points and 5.3 assists, and his assist total of 185 was the second-highest freshman total in school history. His 548 points were the fourth-highest freshman total in school history, behind only Carmelo Anthony, Lawrence Moten and Donte Greene. With Greene leaving for the NBA, Flynn will have an even bigger role. Because of injuries, Flynn averaged more than 35 minutes per game last season. He scored at least 20 points 12 times as the Orange reached the NIT quarterfinals.
[table][tr][td]
DEVANDOWNEY250_0527.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Few, if any, can match the speed of South Carolina's Devan Downey.[/td] [/tr][/table]
7. Stephen Curry, Davidson, Jr., 6-3/185
OK, so he played shooting guard for the Wildcats last season. Anyone really want to argue that he won't be good at the point? Curry averaged 25.9 points to rank fourth nationally in scoring. He made an NCAA single-season record 162 3-pointers last season and led Davidson to the Elite Eight, where they fell to Kansas when a last-second shot missed. Curry averaged 2.9 assists, a number that should rise. Coach Bob McKillop will count on that and Curry's assist-to-turnover ratio improving significantly as well. But don't make any mistake: Curry still will shoulder plenty of the scoring load.

8. Devan Downey, South Carolina, Jr., 5-9/175
Downey, a Cincinnati transfer, was first-team All-SEC in his first season with the Gamecocks, averaging 18.4 points, 5.4 assists and 3.2 steals in 37.4 minutes per game. His scoring average was third in the SEC, his assist average was second and his steal average ranked first. Downey is as fast as anyone on this list with the ball, and he can make defenders look silly in the open court. "You cannot cover him one-on-one," Tennessee forward Tyler Smith said. Downey scored at least 20 points 15 times last season, including a season-high 30 against Penn State.

9. Tyrese Rice, Boston College, Sr., 6-1/190
Rice averaged more than 38 minutes per game on the way to first-team All-ACC honors. No one in the ACC played more minutes. He averaged 21.0 points and 5.0 assists, ranking second in the conference in both categories. Rice is perhaps best known for his scoring outburst last season against North Carolina. He dropped 46 points on the Tar Heels, including eight 3-pointers and 10-of-11 free throws. It was one of nine games in which he scored at least 25 points, including 32 against Wake Forest and 32 against N. C. State.

10. Dominic James, Marquette, Sr., 5-11/185
James' scoring, assist and rebounding averages have gone down over the past three seasons, yet he remains an explosive player with a solid skill set. Most encouraging is that his assist-to-turnover ratio hit an all-time best of 2.05-to-1 per game last season. He still does an excellent job of setting up his teammates (4.4 assists per game), and he averaged 12.9 points and 1.8 steals last season. He had a season-high 25 points in a big road win at Villanova, and he had 10 assists in the second-round NCAA loss to Stanford. James ranks fourth on Marquette's career assists list.

6-9 >>>>>> 1-5.
And James? I won't even get into that. Hell, in conference, Sapp, Reynolds, Curry, Harvey and Vaughn are better. Not as talented, but better.

Andrew Skwara
Rivals.com College Basketball Staff Writer

You don't have to go far to find good players who operate on the wings in college basketball.

Rivals.com's top 10 swingmen come from seven conferences - the ACC, Big East, SEC and the Pac-10 along with Conference USA, the Mountain West and the Ohio Valley.
[table][tr][td]
TYLERSMITH250_0225.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tennessee junior Tyler Smith hit the winning shot to knock off No. 1 Memphis last season.[/td] [/tr][/table]
The Mountain West produced two selections - BYU's Lee Cummard and UNLV's Wink Adams - to tie for the most with the ACC (Miami's Jack McClinton and North Carolina's Wayne Ellington) and the Big East (Marquette's Jerel McNeal and Louisville's Terrence Williams). Cummard and Adams were voted the MWC's preseason co-players of the year.

Rivals.com will put out lists of the top 25 shooting guards and top 25 small forwards separately in November when it releases its complete preseason Power Rankings.

Rivals.com's Top 10 2008-09 Swingmen

1. Tyler Smith, Tennessee, Jr., 6-7/215
When Smith chose not to enter the NBA draft, Tennessee immediately became the favorite in the SEC. The Vols lost their two leading scorers (Chris Lofton and JaJuan Smith), but Tyler Smith, who has athleticism and a great feel for the game, was their MVP last season, ranking first on the team in rebounding (6.7) and assists (3.4) and third in scoring (13.4 ppg) and steals (1.4). He also proved to be a clutch shooter, hitting game-winning jumpers in the final minute to beat Ole Miss and then-No. 1 Memphis.

2. James Harden, Arizona State, Soph., 6-5/218
No team may have improved more last season than Arizona State, which went from two Pac-10 wins to nine, and Harden was the main reason. Whenever the Sun Devils needed a key basket or a big play, they turned to Harden and he usually came through. He led the Sun Devils in scoring (17.8 ppg) and was second in rebounding (5.3) and assists (3.2).

3. Lee Cummard, BYU, Sr., 6-7/190
BYU became a legitimate threat to get back to the NCAA tournament the instant Cummard pulled out of the NBA draft. He may be the most versatile player in the nation and is without a doubt one of the most productive. He ranked fifth in the Mountain West in scoring (15.8 ppg) last season, sixth in rebounding (6.3), seventh in assists (3.5) and first in field-goal percentage (56.9 percent) and free-throw percentage (85.7 percent).
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
LESTERHUDSON250_0423.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Associated Press[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Lester Hudson performed well against top teams like Vanderbilt and Memphis.[/td] [/tr][/table]
4. Lester Hudson, Tennessee-Martin, Sr., 6-2/190
Meet the only player in Division I history to have a quadruple-double. In just his third college game (last season was his first), the lightning-quick Hudson scored 25 points, grabbed 12 rebounds, dished out 10 assists and made 10 steals versus Central Baptist. Hudson doesn't just rack up gaudy numbers against inferior competition, either. He scored 36 at Vanderbilt and had 35 at Memphis.

5. Jerel McNeal, Marquette, Sr., 6-3/200
McNeal may be the best perimeter defender in the nation. In 2006-07, he was voted the Big East's Defensive Player of the Year and he has racked up 216 career steals. McNeal also has developed into a dangerous scoring threat. He scored 28 points in a victory over Notre Dame in the semifinals of the Big East tournament last season and finished with a career-high 30 points in an overtime loss to Stanford in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

6. Jack McClinton, Miami, Sr., 6-1/185
Every scouting report on the Hurricanes should lead with, "Don't leave McClinton open." He shot 42.7 percent from 3-point range and made 91.9 percent of his free-throw attempts, which ranked third in the nation. He exploded for 38 points in a first-round NCAA tournament win over Saint Mary's.

7. Terrence Williams, Louisville, Sr., 6-6/215
He's ultra-athletic and plays with an unselfish style. He led the Cardinals in assists (4.5) for the second consecutive season and was second in scoring (11.1 ppg) and rebounding (7.2). He recently had knee surgery and will miss the preseason, but should return in late November.

8. Robert Vaden, UAB, Sr., 6-5/205
The new 3-point line could be another foot deeper and it wouldn't bother Vaden. Only one returning player (Davidson's Stephen Curry, who was Rivals.com's No. 7 point guard) made more 3-pointers than Vaden, an Indiana transfer who has great range and a quick release. He hit 142 shots from beyond the arc, many coming from NBA range.

9. Wayne Ellington, North Carolina, Jr., 6-4/190
This former five-star recruit is coming off a breakthrough season and gave the Tar Heels a steady No. 2 scoring threat to pair with Tyler Hansbrough. He scored in double figures in 34 of 39 games and averaged 16.6 points while shooting 40 percent from 3-point range. He'll need to have a similar campaign for the heavily favored Tar Heels to win the national title as expected.

10. Wink Adams, UNLV, Sr., 6-0/200
No single player has been more responsible for the turnaround of UNLV's program. Adams is a three-year starter and has been a key part of Rebels teams that have won 57 games over the past two seasons. His strength is attacking off the dribble and finishing around the basket. He's also a superb defender.

I'm sorry, but Lee Cummard is not one of the top 3 swingmen in the nation. That's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom