The Black Album - November 14, 2003 vol. 10 years ago

Where do you rank this album with the rest of Jay-Z's catalog?
I have it as his 3rd best album.............a classic. 
THIS. TBA is very appreciated though, I remember when it dropped and I got like three copies of it besides the one I bought from other people.

The one where the back of it was actually black though
pimp.gif

The most overrated rap album of all time.

I think that 12 songs 12 producers had my expectations too high or something. People crowned this album because he was "retiring" and immediately said it was a classic.

After Blueprint, Jay should have released AG and then retired for good.
wOL7kvQ.gif

Last edited:

Where do you rank this album with the rest of Jay-Z's catalog?
I have it as his 3rd best album.............a classic. 
THIS. TBA is very appreciated though, I remember when it dropped and I got like three copies of it besides the one I bought from other people.

The one where the back of it was actually black though
pimp.gif
What a difference time and music makes.  I remember that day I got TBA, Beg for Mercy and that Fabolous mixtape More Street Dream Part 2 all in one day.  Now as rap fans we're lucky if we get 3 good albums in 1 year. 

Of all time? Nah. But I certainly feel its overrated.

I can't think of another rap album as overrated as this. It cracks me up when people put this in their top 3.

It was crowned before it even released because of his "retirement"

It was also when people started saying he was the greatest because he said it himself :smh:

Anti Dope, stop disrespecting me son :lol: I posted my entire Jay Z collection in that Jay thread. I don't hate the guy. Never got into this CD or his "best rapper alive" **** or his "retirement"

Justify My Thug is trash, Dec 4 was corny, Change Clothes is one of Jay's worst songs, 99 Problems isn't my type of music. I could go on.

I only bought this album bc I thought he was retiring.

Such a swindle. Never supported him after that 
mean.gif

Only listen to Dec 4th and Lucifer off that.
Beg For Mercy >>>>> TBA

idc

Last edited:
It's a solid album. Def came through with some bangers. Not a classic hip hop album by any means and is prob my 4th fav jay album.

I've been bumping this all week totally unaware it was the 10 yr anniversary yesterday. Allure :smokin That scene where P is making the beat is my favorite in the movie. "That's the speech?!?"

*puts on flamesuit*

My second favorite Jay album. Behind RD. But above BP.

I have BP over TBA but I don't think this is a crazy statement. I can see why you would feel the way you feel about TBA. Personally I think it is Jay's second most personal album after RD which is something I really dig about the album.

I love The Black Album...after Blueprint, Reasonable Doubt, American Gangster, The Dynasty, disc 2 of Blueprint, and the combined best songs from Kingdom Come & Blueprint 3.

Back
Top Bottom