The Bicycle Thread

cGetting rid of my fixie today. Bittersweet.
IMG_2696.jpeg

*Boyz II Men* “Oh it’s so haaaAArrrdd…..to say goodbyeeeee….to yesterdaaaayyyyyyy”
IMG_2701.gif
:frown::frown::frown:

Been hoping for Nike to get into cycling somehow, probably will expand because these seem like a hit. I wonder if they actually made it pedal friendly with slightly stiffer soles .

nigel-sylvester-air-jordan-4-rm-pro-green-001.jpg

I came in here to ask for info about Nigel’s bmx. Coincidence that this is the most recent post :rofl:

Anybody know what kinda bike he rides? Is it just fully custom, or does he ride a specific brand model? These shoes make me wanna get back into bmx for fun. I was a MENACE on my Dave Mira Haro back in the day.

I came in here to ask for info about Nigel’s bmx. Coincidence that this is the most recent post :rofl:

Anybody know what kinda bike he rides? Is it just fully custom, or does he ride a specific brand model? These shoes make me wanna get back into bmx for fun. I was a MENACE on my Dave Mira Haro back in the day.
Custom. Mostly Animal parts. Might be a specialized (brand) frame because he has/had a sponsor with them. I swear by animal parts myself.

Since I'll have to use a bike to get around for the foreseeable future, would it be worth owning a $1000 hybrid bike for transportation purposes? I currently have a Specialized & Cannondale hybrid bikes. I use the Cannondale way more ever since I got it in early 2023. The retail value for both of them were over $600 each.

Are there any significant differences between a $1000 bike and a $500+ bike? Would a $1000 bike be faster and climb inclines easier?

Speaking of prices, the good thing about bikes is that you don't necessarily have to pay regular price if you're patient because each model will end up getting marked down after it comes out. You just have to get it promptly once you see the price reduction because you won't be able to hold out for further markdowns as time progresses as the reductions remain stagnant.

Since I'll have to use a bike to get around for the foreseeable future, would it be worth owning a $1000 hybrid bike for transportation purposes? I currently have a Specialized & Cannondale hybrid bikes. I use the Cannondale way more ever since I got it in early 2023. The retail value for both of them were over $600 each.

Are there any significant differences between a $1000 bike and a $500+ bike? Would a $1000 bike be faster and climb inclines easier?

Speaking of prices, the good thing about bikes is that you don't necessarily have to pay regular price if you're patient because each model will end up getting marked down after it comes out. You just have to get it promptly once you see the price reduction because you won't be able to hold out for further markdowns as time progresses as the reductions remain stagnant.
That is hard to say. I don't bike as much as I used to but I think biking for me is one of those things I'll do again after my kids are older. At the time, I didn't get why one bike is worth say $1K and the other bike is $5K. I know it is mostly component parts but the mark up can be really crazy. By the end of it at your price point, I would think if any the frame is better and/or lighter and the components are better whether the seat, gears, rims, etc. Is it worth a $500 price hike, that really depends on you and your budget and the parts and if you can even tell if they are better. I will say as you go higher in price, the bikes show more performance for sure but again, it comes with a price tag.

I have a friend who is a professional skateboarder and he was gifted a bike that was say $15K. The damn thing is crazy light and the gears shift ever so nicely. Did I think it was better than my $3K Bianchi, yes but I'd rather have 5 Bianchi Arias over one Factor road bike.

That is hard to say. I don't bike as much as I used to but I think biking for me is one of those things I'll do again after my kids are older. At the time, I didn't get why one bike is worth say $1K and the other bike is $5K. I know it is mostly component parts but the mark up can be really crazy. By the end of it at your price point, I would think if any the frame is better and/or lighter and the components are better whether the seat, gears, rims, etc. Is it worth a $500 price hike, that really depends on you and your budget and the parts and if you can even tell if they are better. I will say as you go higher in price, the bikes show more performance for sure but again, it comes with a price tag.

I have a friend who is a professional skateboarder and he was gifted a bike that was say $15K. The damn thing is crazy light and the gears shift ever so nicely. Did I think it was better than my $3K Bianchi, yes but I'd rather have 5 Bianchi Arias over one Factor road bike.

Thanks for clarifying all that.

I totally forgot to account for the fact that a higher price bike would have better components.

I learned that "you get what you pay for" is a legitimate fact with bikes these past 4 1/2 years I've been riding a bike for transportation. You never want to go cheap on bikes and their necessary accessories.

I know there are bikes that cost an upwards of literally thousands of dollars. I wouldn't get those because it's more of a luxury item for people who have money to burn.

I got the $600 Specialized bike in February 2020 out of need and it was within my budget as it was marked down.

I got the $600 Cannondale in January 2023 because I wanted to try out a different brand and it was also marked down. I felt it performed better than the Specialized bike.

Since biking is my mode of transportation, I'm motivated with the performance aspect and how much more conducive it is for me to ride. That's why I'm contemplating getting a $1000 bike if it will be more favorable for my ride.

As I previously mentioned, you don't have to pay regular price for a bike if you're patient enough to wait for it to get marked down. I can afford to wait because I already have two bikes.

Anyone do their own work?
If so, what's your favorite brand and how long has it been Park Tool?
20240810_194720.jpg

Anyone do their own work?
If so, what's your favorite brand and how long has it been Park Tool?
20240810_194720.jpg

Yeah, ‘bout 30 years. I bought some cable cutters as a teen that I only replaced recently - and they were still okay really.

My Allen keys are Wera though - and they’re really good too. I broken one recently (standing on it trying to get a rusty bolt out something :smh:) and they replaced it for free.

Spent a few hours today fixing up a couple of bikes - just some minor stuff to one of mine and some kids stuff.

I’ve got a frame away being powder coated so got that one to rebuild for the winter - it’s my crappy weather commuter.

17 made

26” wheels

hearing the bike may release

edit- I thought you were talking bout the jordan bike

Last edited:

i believe he rides a 21-22" specialized, not 100% but i thought i saw specialized right across the top tube

Last edited:
2024-08-14 19.47.12.jpg

Got my winter commuter back from the powdercoater this week. Looking great and here's to another 10 winters.

Just need to clean up a few of the threads and put it back together. Going to make some new stickers for it too - those all got blasted off before the powdercoat.

Where did you get this done? Been trying to restore an old bike that I have.

Ever since my son was born I haven’t been able to ride the way I did before. I’ve ballooned 55 pounds from where I was pre-fatherhood. From fit to fat

Back
Top Bottom